How big is your kitchen?

I have a little kitchen ( 14 MQ.) and I love it because I have all I need in a small but very organised space. No wash machine, I don't need it, and, I know it's odd this, I like to wash dishes! ( and then we are only two people).
I have a very little table, that you can close when we don't need, to having breakfast...

@MypinchofItaly

What is 14 MQ ?

My kitchen in our Barcelona apartment is very narrow & small too: 2.15 Metres in width x 2.90 Metres in Length ..

A dish washer: I do not have one in the Barcelona apartment either ..

Have a lovely evening & weekend ..

@Cinisajoy

I think I had previously mentioned that for 2 people it is truly un-necessary ..

Have a lovely weekend ..

I disagree. I often stay with my friend who doesn't have a dishwasher. I do all the cooking for just the two of us. It drives me insane having to keep washing up. I'm used to putting virtually everything in the dishwasher as I cook - mixing bowls, spoons, saucepans etc. It all goes in during the day and gets washed overnight.

When I'm staying with my friend I feel as if I'm spending as much time washing up as cooking! I complained so much that recently he has been doing the washing up. But for me (I cook a lot) that is maybe five lots of washing up a day.

IMG_0823.JPG
I also have my insane array of spices in a cluster on the back edge of one counter, since there's no spice rack in the world big enough to fit everything: it looks something like one of the battles in Braveheart.
They may take away our spice, but they'll never take our freedom!

@MypinchofItaly

What is 14 MQ ?

My kitchen in our Barcelona apartment is very narrow & small too: 2.15 Metres in width x 2.90 Metres in Length ..

A dish washer: I do not have one in the Barcelona apartment either ..

Have a lovely evening & weekend ..

MQ. In Italy is metri quadrati. My kitchen is 3.50 metres lenght x 2,5 m.width..and I have a big window that take too much space..No door, it's a sort of strange open-space..I'll make some photos

The original design for my house had an archway between the lounge and the kitchen and a door from the kitchen to the carport. There was no way I was having an archway given the Thai's regular pok-poking and frying of chilies so I added a door there. Initially I thought the door to the carport would be useful particularly in the rainy season however, it then occurred to me that someone would need to be out in the rain to open and close the main gate so that idea was kicked in the head

MQ. In Italy is metri quadrati. My kitchen is 3.50 metres lenght x 2,5 m.width..and I have a big window that take too much space..No door, it's a sort of strange open-space..I'll make some photos

However I add, subtract, multiply or divide 2.50 x 3.50 I cannot reach an answer of 14!

I disagree. I often stay with my friend who doesn't have a dishwasher. I do all the cooking for just the two of us. It drives me insane having to keep washing up. I'm used to putting virtually everything in the dishwasher as I cook - mixing bowls, spoons, saucepans etc. It all goes in during the day and gets washed overnight.

When I'm staying with my friend I feel as if I'm spending as much time washing up as cooking! I complained so much that recently he has been doing the washing up. But for me (I cook a lot) that is maybe five lots of washing up a day.

Question of habits probably. And also question of number.
Anyway for me it's automatic to wash dishes. The time the dishwasher puts to wash, I have already finished to wash! I'm fast. Usually we do that who have cooked don't wash dishes and vice versa, but we can not always do this. Time, work, feel .. if I do not want or have no time, I leave the dishes in the sink and we'll do it in the evening.

@MypinchofItaly

Square Metres .. This is what I thought but wasn´t sure so I asked you.

Wow .. More or less same size as mine but a different shape, as your´s is wider.

Have a lovely day ..

View attachment 9296
They may take away our spice, but they'll never take our freedom!

@The Late Night Gourmet,

That is some collection. You would love the La Mercat de La Boqueria Central Market in Barcelona and the oldest Central Market in Valencia (1928), El Mercado Central de Valencia, where they have 1,300 stalls showing off the abundance and bounty of of the región.

Both sell spices in Oak Barrels ! It is quite fascinating ..

Have a lovely day ..

In my youth, the house we lived in had a scullery. This contained a sink and housed the washing machine. There was also a little storage room at the end and what we called the "back door," although in reality, it was at the side of the house and led to a path that ran the length of the house.

No doubt, such rooms still exist, but does anyone use the word "scullery" these days?

Sounds like Francesca and MypinchofItaly both have American apartment kitchens. Pretty much the same size.

In my youth, the house we lived in had a scullery. This contained a sink and housed the washing machine. There was also a little storage room at the end and what we called the "back door," although in reality, it was at the side of the house and led to a path that ran the length of the house.

No doubt, such rooms still exist, but does anyone use the word "scullery" these days?
I thought only rich people had sculleries. But maybe not. Its a word I associate with stately homes (scullery maid)

Back
Top Bottom