How big is your kitchen?

I disagree. I often stay with my friend who doesn't have a dishwasher. I do all the cooking for just the two of us. It drives me insane having to keep washing up. I'm used to putting virtually everything in the dishwasher as I cook - mixing bowls, spoons, saucepans etc. It all goes in during the day and gets washed overnight.

When I'm staying with my friend I feel as if I'm spending as much time washing up as cooking! I complained so much that recently he has been doing the washing up. But for me (I cook a lot) that is maybe five lots of washing up a day.
I could not survive without my dishwasher either. It's bad enough having to hand wash those things that are not dishwasher safe. Besides, the dishwasher can do the washing up while I'm doing something else - and it's cheaper than having to switch the immersion heater on for hot water.

I could not survive without my dishwasher either. It's bad enough having to hand wash those things that are not dishwasher safe. Besides, the dishwasher can do the washing up while I'm doing something else - and it's cheaper than having to switch the immersion heater on for hot water.

I could not do without my dishwasher either. Not just for washing dishes but she also cleans the house, washes and irons my clothes, does the shopping and keeps the garden tidy. I'd be buggered without her.

[If we need hot water, we need to boil a kettle or get it from one of the showers]

View attachment 9296
They may take away our spice, but they'll never take our freedom!
I keep my spices in the top two drawers next to the oven (see picture of my kitchen). The top drawer has 39 jars in; the one below it has several more jars, larger packs, and a few refill packs. There are also some larger jars in the cupboard to the right of the oven.

I could not do without my dishwasher either. Not just for washing dishes but she also cleans the house, washes and irons my clothes, does the shopping and keeps the garden tidy. I'd be buggered without her.

[If we need hot water, we need to boil a kettle or get it from one of the showers]
Unfortunately the mutt's idea of washing the dishes and my idea of washing the dishes are two entirely different things :laugh:

Many of my spices are kept in the fridge away from ants and other hungry animals.

I thought only rich people had sculleries. But maybe not. Its a word I associate with stately homes (scullery maid)

I can assure you that I have never, at any stage of my life, come into the category of "rich." Neither did we have a scullery, or indeed any other, maid. If we'd had one, there wouldn't have been much room for her in the scullery.

While I'm here, I suppose I might as well mention that I do not possess a dishwasher. Nor do I want or need one.

To be honest, I wish I could push out the sink and countertop/cabinets on the right side of my kitchen just a few feet, the move the island over a bit as well

Having a big kitchen is really nice for a foodie, but the other side of the coin is that there is that much more to clean, and pay to heat or cool, and light, etc....
They virtually live in their kitchen. The [teenage] kids hang about in there; all their friends hang about in there; I hang about in there..... You can watch TV in there too. And it's got underfloor heating. Far cheaper than having to heat the rest of the house because everyone is in their own room. The living room is rarely used these days. Plus there is direct access to the garden - nearly the whole of the wall is made up of glass sliding doors. The room is so big, I could move all the contents of my house into that room and still not encroach on the actual cooking area (which is still bigger than my whole kitchen). She has a separate utility room too (or scullery, if you prefer :D).

I thought only rich people had sculleries. But maybe not. Its a word I associate with stately homes (scullery maid)

@morning glory

To my knowledge, a Scullery is where the Cooks ate, or a cook´s room similar to a tiny mess or cantine or cook house ..

Yes, I had assumed that only affluent proprietors had this type of room built for his Cooks so that they would have a place to eat, perhaps a place for all the laborers ( blue trade workers & Domestic help on the property ) would have a place to sit and eat ..

If you rent or buy a large property built in the 1800s, one might find this in that property ..

Have a lovely day ..

@morning glory

To my knowledge, a Scullery is where the Cooks ate, or a cook´s room similar to a tiny mess or cantine or cook house ..

Yes, I had assumed that only affluent proprietors had this type of room built for his Cooks so that they would have a place to eat, perhaps a place for all the laborers ( blue trade workers & Domestic help on the property ) would have a place to sit and eat ..

If you rent or buy a large property built in the 1800s, one might find this in that property ..

Have a lovely day ..
In the UK, a scullery is usually a room where you do the washing up, laundry, etc.

Immersion heater? I am confused.
We have a hot water heater that sends hot water to the kitchen sink, bathroom sink, shower and washer.

Immersion heater? I am confused.
We have a hot water heater that sends hot water to the kitchen sink, bathroom sink, shower and washer.
An immersion heater heats the water in a tank for the kitchen sink, bathroom sink and bath. The dishwasher and washing machine are cold fill and only heat the amount of water they need, which in the case of the dishwasher is a lot less than doing the washing up by hand.

My Mum's kitchen was tiny (about 2 m x 3 m). There was a 1930s built in unit on one side, and a sink, coke boiler and cooker on the other. The only way they could get their new fridge in there (in 1955/6) was to remove the end cupboard of the built in unit and knock the wall out! The lean-to became the scullery when they got a washing machine and (a few years later) a spin dryer. The lean-to was where we also used to kill and pluck the chickens, and prepare vegetables before they came into the kitchen to be washed and cooked. Before we got the fridge, there was a meat safe out there too, and the milk bottles used to be kept cool on the concrete floor in the shade. Mum sometimes did the ironing out there, but the iron had to be heated up on either the boiler or a rack over the open fire in the dining room. If the weather was nice, we used to have our baths in the lean-to, otherwise in front of the fire in the front room. There was a perfectly good bath upstairs, but that meant putting the immersion heater on, whereas downstairs we could get hot water from the boiler.

I love my kitchen....I think its probably my favourite room in the house. When we bought the house a couple of years ago a big kichen-diner was one of the things we wouldn't compromise on because its such a sociable space. The compromise with this house is that the kitchen is north-facing so despite the large window if its gloomy outside then it doesn't get a lot of natural light - hence the white surfaces to keep it bright in there.

This picture is taken from the dining room end and just out of the picture to the right are the french doors into the garden - in the summer (well, when the sun shines!) we basically have the doors open and live in the kitchen and garden. I'd love eventually to replace the doors with bifolds to really open it up.
tahg0w.jpg

Back
Top Bottom