How do we communicate?

Yet another thing that annoys me - and seems to be becoming increasingly prevalent - is the number of people who don't appear to know what the past tense or past participle of "run" is. You even get this from apparently intelligent presenters on BBC radio, thus: "Sorry, but we've ran out of time."

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaagh!

Many years ago I prepared a document called "Pig Report - as run". The Shell representative (a Dutchman) queried the title and suggested it should read "as ran". Given that there were 80 plus pages in the report and each page included the title, I explained to him that it was standard pipeline terminology.

I got away with it!

I'm sorry for some beautiful words that have now fallen into disuse and rarely hear pronounced .. I like to use words that are no longer used, it is a pity to lose them in favor of neologisms that sometimes do not have the same character and the same strength evocative. Of course I can only refer to Italian words.
they must also be used considering the context or the risk is to want to look haughty or to want to make someone difficult .. I would never do it, but sometimes I like to brush up some old words ... and the thing a little comical is that at many seem like new words..

Interesting and I also know and like Irvine Welsh. "The skag.The other woman who can not be resisted."
And it reminds me of when I took a creative writing course about 5 years ago. I approached this course with the intent to write short stories and one day publish them (they are still drafts, alas) and my approach to it was quite light. Instead I struggled and discovered things that I did not imagine ... the analysis of texts for books, stories as well as the analysis of theatrical scripts and films, brought me to another dimension. The book I wanted to analyze was F. Dostoevskij's "Letters on Creativity" (which I have always adored) and his exploration of the mystery of man.

An unshakable coherence about F.D., it seems.

Just today I received a whatsapp from a friend who it should been a bit lazy about communication...It was funny enough, she "wrote" to me only with Emoticons. A sort of childish challenge. But at some stage she sent me a series of them and I didn't know what other kind of Emoticons to use. I apologized to her writing "sorry if I write to a text, I've finished Emoticons". She replied: :wave:

What about you with Emoticons?

I like them specific things, like "Do you want to go for a beer :cheers:?"

I wouldn't text "u ➡️ :cheers:?"

If someone sends me a string of emojis to decipher, I'm obliged to decipher it as, "Hello, I'm too lazy/cute to type real words, so please ignore this text I just sent you!" :laugh:

Just today I received a whatsapp from a friend who it should been a bit lazy about communication...It was funny enough, she "wrote" to me only with Emoticons. A sort of childish challenge. But at some stage she sent me a series of them and I didn't know what other kind of Emoticons to use. I apologized to her writing "sorry if I write to a text, I've finished Emoticons". She replied: :wave:

I'm OK with them but usually as 'add ons' not as a replacement for text. I love words too much for that.

I rarely use the ones included in the software but I have my own collection saved on disc which I attach occasionally.

high emoji.png

I've noticed overly punctuated sentences/posts, i.e.
- - -
!!!!!

Did I miss the memo? Looks like the cat walked across the keyboard.

Last edited:
The abuse of punctuation is as irritating as its total absence or casual use. I am not referring to the oversights that can always happen.

I like to use ellipsis "..."
I read some time ago that they are more often used by women ... mah ...

Sometimes I run into sentences where the Commas have become extinct as well as the Question mark
An example? Here it is:

"Hi how are you I'm fine I wanted to ask you if you have time to take a look at that document"

It is really a physical sensation of lack of air as I read that sentence ... (ah, these ellipsis!)

A long time ago, an English teacher told me (along with about another 29 surly youths) that a good way to think of basic punctuation is 1-2-3-4. He explained that each number represents a pause, thus one is a comma, two a semi-colon, three a colon and four a full stop. It's not a foolproof method (nothing is, there are too many fools around), but it's not a bad guide.

Back
Top Bottom