How do you do make this egg dish?

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
11:23 PM
On a recent episode of Masterchef the contestants were set the theme of English breakfast. One contestant (Nisha) made something I've never seen before which I thought was a stunning idea. Coriander and chilli poached eggs. The eggs have the coriander leaves and chilli embedded in the whites. I've been pondering how she did this and have come to the conclusion that the egg must have been poached in cling film - how else would the coriander and chilli stay put? What do you think? Here are some screenshots. Incidentally, I have a hunch she could be the next Masterchef winner.

Screen Shot 2018-03-30 at 13.12.03.png

Screen Shot 2018-03-30 at 13.12.36.png

Screen Shot 2018-03-30 at 13.14.54.png

That's definitely poached in some kind of container, be it cling wrap, or something like a ramekin that is lowered into the water.

Very cool idea. Looks delicious.

Last edited:
I would guess she separated the yolk and white and mixed in the chilli and coriander in the white, then popped both in cling film.

Hey, try it lightly poached then deep fry it for this month's challenge!

Is that some sort of naan bread and chickpea curry she served it with?

I don't think she separated the egg, the cilantro and chili threads look like they are only on the surface or just below. I think she probably lined a ramekin with cling wrap then closed it up and poached.

I would guess she separated the yolk and white and mixed in the chilli and coriander in the white, then popped both in cling film.

Hey, try it lightly poached then deep fry it for this month's challenge!

Is that some sort of naan bread and chickpea curry she served it with?

I thought of doing it for the Cookalong - but it would be a shame to cover up the pretty white with batter. I'll have to experiment. I think it must have been in cling film - a ramekin would make a different shape.

I saw the programme, she lined a small bowl with clingfilm, broke in the egg and sprinkled on the herbs, then gathered up the clingfilm to make a twisted purse.

That was in the programme? I re-wound it to look as well and didn't spot it! Thank you - its sort of what I thought and I will definitely be experimenting with this!

I havnt seen the programme but first look I'd say wrapped in cling film and poached. Going by comments I would say I'm right.? I've seen it here on Masterchef? Btw I've never tried it but I think I may soon.

Russ

It looks so pretty.
I'm ashamed to say that I've never mastered poached eggs, always preferring to make fried or scrambled eggs.
So I think that should be my challenge for the Easter holidays.

I had a go at this - not bad although for some reason the top of the egg didn't have pieces on (so I added a few afterwards).

Finished result:

fullsizeoutput_2fd5.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_2fd6.jpeg

Step by step:

fullsizeoutput_2fd8.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_2fd9.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_2fdb.jpeg

Very nice!
Could have been neater. The egg wasn't the freshest so I think it went a bit 'raggy'. The yolk should have been a bit a runnier - its given me lots of ideas though. I tried embedding turmeric and basil into this fried egg dish as a result of this experiment:

fullsizeoutput_2fc8.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom