How do you eat your lamb?

Not tried offal, but I like a leg of lamb, slow roasted with a sprinkling of rosemary. However, I find that lamb is now very expensive and to be honest doesn't seem to have too much flavour probably because it is so young. I would much prefer to have lamb that has aged a bit. Unfortunately, that is even more expensive to buy.

And I have to be careful what meat we buy now as Mr WD has high blood pressure and cholesterol, and he has to cut down on the amount of fat he eats.

I also like lamb casserole made with lamb of course, potatoes, carrots, and onions and lamb knorr stock cubes. Brown everything off in a frying pan first, transfer to casserole dish, and slow cook for as long as you can.

I did a Harissa spiced lamb shoulder today put in on slow light last night late when I got in from work did it in wraps with mint yoghurt and cous cous,lamb is expensive at the moment ,I'm afraid it's supply and demand,but cheaper cuts of beef are but the prime joints have come down in price

I very seldom eat lamb, & I vaguely remember when I had it last. :unsure:
All the fields around my area are either full of rape for oil and animal feed or full of sheep ,I have to put the lambs back in the field by my cottage as they are mischief and keep getting out,I've always had a interest in lamb as my God father was a Shepard and thus it's been a staple, I see the ewes get raddled or tupped by the ram late October early November and then I love lambing time, they do create a lot of interest to passing motorists,so when it's early in the season I love it ,I also love cooking with mutton and hogget,traditional dishes are a favourite steamed pies sell well at work,

Usually I cook lamb shoulder really really really slow, minimum four hours. Sometimes we go the trad route and serve it on Sunday with fresh mint sauce, roast pots etc. Other times I roast it with Moroccan spices, like Berties. The other cut of lamb I particularly like is neck fillet. Its rather expensive but excellent in curry (I make a LOT of curry!).

As for offal, well, I love lambs kidneys. I quite often do Lancashire Hotpot which includes kidneys. Sometimes I do kidneys as a main course with mushrooms in a mustard and sherry sauce or as Devilled kidneys. Then there's lambs liver - wonderful with a thick onion gravy and mash. The great thing about the offal is that its so economical, almost ridiculously cheap compared to the meat.

As for offal, well, I love lambs kidneys. I quite often do Lancashire Hotpot which includes kidneys. Sometimes I do kidneys as a main course with mushrooms in a mustard and sherry sauce or as Devilled kidneys. Then there's lambs liver - wonderful with a thick onion gravy and mash. The great thing about the offal is that its so economical, almost ridiculously cheap compared to the meat.

another under used cut is the breast rolled with a nice stuffing and slow cooked it melts,love to see the use of offal,it is a cheap healthy dish

I didn't eat lamb until I was in High School because as a child I felt so bad eating something so cute. But I grew out of it and eventually tried it. The first time I had it it was slow cooked and served with mint. I did not like the mint combining with the meat flavor personally, even though that is supposed to be such a wonderful combination. I have had it a couple times since when I bough just one piece for myself. Both those times I ended up just cooking it in a frying pan like I would a beef steak. I think I prefer the texture of the slow cooked meat, but since I was cooking for only myself, I chose the frying pan method for such a small quantity. Lamb is not one of my favorite meats because I don't like it when my lips get greasy. Even though I am very active and would not have a problem burning the fat off with all my cycling and dancing, I just don't like how it feels to be eating so much at one time.

I didn't eat lamb until I was in High School because as a child I felt so bad eating something so cute. But I grew out of it and eventually tried it. The first time I had it it was slow cooked and served with mint. I did not like the mint combining with the meat flavor personally, even though that is supposed to be such a wonderful combination. I have had it a couple times since when I bough just one piece for myself. Both those times I ended up just cooking it in a frying pan like I would a beef steak. I think I prefer the texture of the slow cooked meat, but since I was cooking for only myself, I chose the frying pan method for such a small quantity. Lamb is not one of my favorite meats because I don't like it when my lips get greasy. Even though I am very active and would not have a problem burning the fat off with all my cycling and dancing, I just don't like how it feels to be eating so much at one time.
I know what you mean about being so cute image.jpg
Above is apicture of a late Doset flock over looking Corfe castle in the UK,taken 2 weeks ago,so cute,but they had a fox problem here so the ewes were very nervy but the lambs were jumping around in the sun

I tried this lamb last year on a South Wales food road trip
http://www.gowersaltmarshlamb.co.uk
The texture is sweeter and was very tender,I did have a trimmed out loin fillet ,was not cheap but wanted to try this delicacy ,very nice and you can defiantly tell the animal was well kept by the quality of the product

Usually I cook lamb shoulder really really really slow, minimum four hours. Sometimes we go the trad route and serve it on Sunday with fresh mint sauce, roast pots etc. Other times I roast it with Moroccan spices, like Berties. The other cut of lamb I particularly like is neck fillet. Its rather expensive but excellent in curry (I make a LOT of curry!).
A cook after my own heart!and lamb fillet ,wow I love it ,and a curry ,heaven !I do a mutton curry with plenty of turmeric and slow cook it skimming the fat off,and finish with diced potatoes ....bliss ,and lamb neck I braise with diced vegetables tomatoes and olives,falls away,I don't muck theese ingredients around to much ,at one time ,we would slow cook the necks ,shred the meat and roll into a cylinder I cling film ,set,then slice and re fry ,but that's for the fine dining market ,I believe the meat deserves to speak for its self:thumbsup:

I don't eat lamb at all, can't abide the stuff because of the fat content but I will roast a small joint for the OH from time to time if I see one on offer in the supermarket. He'll eat it over the course of a few days and will take lamb sandwiches to work for a couple of days.

I love the taste of lamb, and prefer it with mint, but it's pretty expensive here, so I don't get it much. Therefore, I've never really experimented with it, and so I will occasionally buy a small package of lamb chops and cook them pretty much like I do pork chops, in the oven.

I've only ever tasted lamb twice in my life and both times I didn't care for it. It had a gamey flavor reminiscent of arm pits and dirty socks. Both times I tried it it was in a restaurant so perhaps homemade would taste differently. I have stood in Costco with a boneless leg of lamb in my hand, trying to decide whether to buy it and give cooking it a shot. I never did. I put it back as it was quite pricey for an experiment, especially since I had no experience cooking lamb and didn't even know how it is supposed to taste.

Back
Top Bottom