How do you poach your eggs?

There are also egg poaching pans, which are basically just egg steamers. You crack the eggs into little cups and place them into the pan with water at the bottom, then put the lid on and let them steam. These work pretty reliably, but I don't care for the way the eggs look when they come out of the cups.

I agree, re the microwave (which also makes the whites too hard). Also agree re the poaching cups (again, they are prone to make the sites rather firm) and I don't like the shapes other.
I just simmer mine in a couple inches of water in an 8 inch nonstick frying pan on my stove. I bought a few tiny spice bowls at my local dollar store, and crack an egg into each one (in case the yolks break on any of them) then gently lower them into the simmering (not boiling!) water until they are done. Sometimes if I don't have enough water in the pan, I will have to ladle it over the yolks as they are cooking, but that's about it really. I don't do the vinegar thing personally since I don't like the flavor it imparts on the eggs.

I put mine into little dariole moulds before I tip them into the simmering water. I'm assuming you do mean you tip the eggs into the water.

I did see a genius trick though, to get rid of those loose egg whites that float around the water and foam up. One person online suggested straining the eggs in a fine mesh strainer first, which lets the runny parts of the whites drain off, leaving the firmer part intact. I haven't tried this yet though

I must try this!

I've never heard of adding butter to the poaching water. I'm trying to imagine... are you bringing water to immerse the egg, to a simmer and then adding butter?

No, the butter is just because I need to replace the pan, and it's no longer non-stick. I melt it and wipe most out with a paper towel, then add the water, vinegar, and egg. I don't like when things stick to the pan, so I always butter it, or spray it with oil spray. I would rather the egg just slide out whole, than have pieces stick, which has happened, even though I obviously use water to poach the egg.

No, the butter is just because I need to replace the pan, and it's no longer non-stick. I melt it and wipe most out with a paper towel, then add the water, vinegar, and egg. I don't like when things stick to the pan, so I always butter it, or spray it with oil spray. I would rather the egg just slide out whole, than have pieces stick, which has happened, even though I obviously use water to poach the egg.
Oh I see! I reckon you should treat yourself to a new pan!

To poach an egg will bring water to a boil then turn it down, I add a touch of white vinegar to the water and then drop the egg in. Sometimes I crack the egg in a bowl and then pour the egg from the bowl into the water. I think this makes for a prettier egg and reduces the changes of shell getting into your poached eggs. Wait until the egg is soft cooked and then remove the egg with a slotted spoon. I serve poached eggs on toast and weekends, usually with a pound of bacon or sausages on the side.

When it is on the menu, I like ordering Eggs Benedict when eating out. I have always been fascinated about it because poached eggs are not a common sight in our household. I am curious about it and how it is cooked. I really like how it looks that is why I order it but I am not a fan of its taste. I have always wondered why the dish has this sour taste. Now, I know vinegar is used when cooking the eggs. I like Eggs Benny but I am not a fan of the sour taste.

Last edited:
I've never heard of adding butter to the poaching water. I'm trying to imagine... are you bringing water to immerse the egg, to a simmer and then adding butter?

We seldom eat poached eggs because we prefer the so called soft-boiled egg. It is one good way of giving energy to the body according to my father. We boil the eggs in water for 3 minutes and taking off from the pot, the eggs are cracked in a cup. Adding butter to the steaming egg will add flavor that will make the egg desirable to eat. The best combination is to eat with buttered toast. We usually have that in Changi airport in Singapore.

This is my method:

First start with a suitably sized saucepan. I use 150 mm dia for 1 or 2 eggs, 200 mm dia for 3 or 4 eggs. Add around 50 mm deep water and 1 or 2 tblsp white vinegar and heat the water.

Break an egg into a small receptacle or cup.

When the water is almost boiling, gently deposit the egg into the water from just below the water level. Break another egg into the receptacle and repeat, etc.

Simmer the egg(s) until the white is just solid but the yolk is still liquid (about 2 to 3 minutes).

Carefully remove the egg(s) with a slotted spoon and serve immediately.

The result (today):

eggs sausage beans bleed s.jpg

I'm beginning to think there must be more images of eggs on CookingBites than any other food! Perhaps we should seek sponsorship from the British Egg Industry Council.

Can we do that manually in gas stove or induction stove because my microwave oven is in service..Please suggest me how to do it without Oven??

Can we do that manually in gas stove or induction stove because my microwave oven is in service..Please suggest me how to do it without Oven??

I have never poached eggs in either the oven or the microwave. Many years ago I did have one of those egg poaching pans (as below) but in my opinion, it never produced satisfactory results; and they were difficult to clean (alloy then, not Teflon coated). I would go for saucepan on the stove every time.

41DWK-wolKL.jpg

I have never poached eggs in either the oven or the microwave. Many years ago I did have one of those egg poaching pans (as below) but in my opinion, it never produced satisfactory results; and they were difficult to clean (alloy then, not Teflon coated). I would go for saucepan on the stove every time.

41DWK-wolKL.jpg
Thankyou for your kind information dude..

Back
Top Bottom