How do you spend Christmas day?

Local time
3:05 AM
Everyone has their own traditional way of spending Christmas day. How do you spend yours? There are those who like to stay at home and have family over for lunch or dinner. Then there are those who just like to stay at home and enjoy the day relaxing without entertaining anyone. They just have lunch or dinner with their own immediate family and get as much rest as they can. Others go out to lunch or dinner to meet up with other family members, and some of these gatherings can be quite big, while others are just an ample-sized gathering.

Once before I used to spend Christmas at home while other family members would come over to our house for lunch. This went on for many years. These days, however, I go out to lunch at a family member's home. The gathering is usually a fair size. This has now become a tradition for us.

So, traditionally, how do you spend your Christmas day?

Christmas Day we get up early and go to my daughter's to watch my grand daughter open her presents. Then we come back to our house and have a big turkey dinner for the family. We sit around and talk and have a few drinks and enjoy our day together. The rest of the holiday season is pretty quiet. Christmas Day is the big day for us.

We have a very quiet day. Just Mr WD and I. The kids have left home and have families of theyre own, so its nice and quiet here. Turkey and all the trimmings, then relax for the rest of the day. My mum will phone and wish us happy christmas as well. At some point maybe boxing day one of the kids will show up.

Merry christmas everyone, and a happy new year from me.

Since my youngest two kids (twenty somethings) live here, we all have Xmas dinner. This year, a cheap Bernard Matthews turkey (£9) which I vow to make tastes excellent. Then we open presents and kids disappear to their rooms or off out. By then I'll be pleasantly drunk and will let the evening go by in a haze.:drink: :happy::sleep:

I treat it much as any other day of the year. One advantage that it has is that it's a good day to go for a walk and do a bit of birdwatching, at least in the morning, as there's nobody around.

I treat it much as any other day of the year. One advantage that it has is that it's a good day to go for a walk and do a bit of birdwatching, at least in the morning, as there's nobody around.
Good point! Bung on the turkey (well, not in your case as your vegetarian) and go wandering. I love birdwatching although I'm completely rubbish at it. One thing I don't get is that you are s'posed to hold the binoculars slightly away from your eyes. If I do, they shake! And should one wear glasses when using binoculars?

I sleep much longer and then feel obliged to cook because every house seems to be cooking up a storm. If I could find a turkey for 36 local dollars the equivalent of what Morning Glory bought, I'd probably have a big turkey fest just for the fun of it.
For several years I used to travel every Christmas day to restock the store for Old Years. Business isn't that great anymore:(.

When I was young I remember we just stay home because almost all of our friends and relatives come to visit us on Christmas. Nowadays anything can happen. I am pretty much free to do whatever I want regardless if it is against the family tradition or not. I love to entertain people but only a select few.

We are having a quiet morning at home - hubby and I will watch our little one open her presents (or we will open them, and she will be more interested in the wrapping paper and boxes, most likely!) and then for dinner we will be spending that with my inlaws.

I like having the quiet time in the mornings - don't get me wrong, I enjoy family Christmas celebrations but they can be exhausting too - I need that quiet time to mentally prepare!

This year, like last year is somewhat different from what we always used to do. But since it is probably (hopefully fingers crossed) our last year in the UK for a few years, we are having Christmas Day lunch with my in-laws (for the first time ever) and then the afternoon will be partly spent there and then here depending on how much I can manage with my back. I'm expecting not to know a lot about the afternoon, but that won't be from an alcohol induced haze, more a morphine induced one!

Our wedding anniversary is a repeat of Christmas Day, only at my parents instead. My mother, has however, invited all of my brothers and sisters, plus their respective partners so I am expecting it to be more 'testing' than my in-laws on Christmas Day! Fun, not It was meant to have been just parents and us but my mother likes to alter things and plan things and arrange things and interfere I believe is the word I am looking for!

Peacefully - no family no visitors no party. Just the two of us. There's lots of days to go visiting etc etc. Christmas day is an oasis of peace [ the fact that I had to spend many Christmas days on 24hour call out is probably one reason we like to be quiet].

This year, like last year is somewhat different from what we always used to do. But since it is probably (hopefully fingers crossed) our last year in the UK for a few years, we are having Christmas Day lunch with my in-laws (for the first time ever) and then the afternoon will be partly spent there and then here depending on how much I can manage with my back. I'm expecting not to know a lot about the afternoon, but that won't be from an alcohol induced haze, more a morphine induced one!

Our wedding anniversary is a repeat of Christmas Day, only at my parents instead. My mother, has however, invited all of my brothers and sisters, plus their respective partners so I am expecting it to be more 'testing' than my in-laws on Christmas Day! Fun, not It was meant to have been just parents and us but my mother likes to alter things and plan things and arrange things and interfere I believe is the word I am looking for!

I'm not surprised at your Mum interfering. You might (hopefully) be about to go to Australia, the other end of the earth. I think she may think (as I do) that you might not be coming back. So, who can blame her for inviting your brothers and sisters to your last Christmas in the UK? :D

Peacefully - no family no visitors no party. Just the two of us. There's lots of days to go visiting etc etc. Christmas day is an oasis of peace [ the fact that I had to spend many Christmas days on 24hour call out is probably one reason we like to be quiet].
That's nice. I'm liking peaceful @sidevalve. I'll be thinking of all those on 24hr call out.

No fixed rules on this, but I push my specs to the top of my head when using binoculars. I've noticed that Bill Oddie doesn't do that but I feel uncomfortable with glasses in the way.
This doesn't help! So its up to me? I thought there might be an optical reason for using glasses or not:(. What about 'resting' the binoculars against your brow/eyes or not?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom