How good are you at writing down your recipes?

We use waste paper, halves of envelopes that have been through the mail, been used for last week's shopping list and are now bookmarking the chosen recipes for the week. Sometimes, not often, it's a printed recipe anyhow...

When I tweak a recipe I'll jot down the tweak on the bookmark (or printout). If it works the bookmark is kept and the recipe amended (by writing it down as a correction to the recipe in the cookbook) but always in pencil. If it hasn't worked as well as hoped, then the bookmark is recycled for firelighting duty.

New recipes are recorded in a similar manner but written up properly if they worked, ready for the bookmark tweaking.... Sometimes I'll handwrite them, other times I'll type them up. It largely depends on what is to hand and if my laptop is turned on.
Ha! My Syria and Fresh India cookery books have now got to the stage where it would be simpler and less cluttering to bookmark the recipes I haven't tried. What impresses me about some of the older cookery books even have blank pages at the back to include your own recipes. Some of the ones I inherited have handwritten recipes by both my Mum and my Dad in the back of them. It's one of my regrets that I couldn't get hold of my Mum's 1920s cookery book. There were quite a few in there. And, yes, I am guilty of editing some recipes with pencil notes, although I too find it easier to type them up. I have already edited a few in my OneNote collection too, although I try to keep a link to the original recipe as well. I am trying to turn some of my favourite recipes into veggie equivalents, or find alternative ingredients to replace those I am allergic to without detracting from the actual flavour of the dish. We have to remember that no recipes are cast in stone.

When looking for a recipe online, all I do is copy & paste. It helps you to avoid unwanted material such a comments & those ridiculous ads from getting on the paper, causing too much paper & ink to be used & wasted!!!! :mad::headshake:

Last edited:
Most of my recipes are in my head,,although my daughter nagged and nagged at me about 3 years ago so I took the time to copy some written long ingredient recipes and then wrote others that were in my head. Like my croquettes recipe that are always first pick for entrees, I have 2 separate ones I pick from them to make my recipe. She has a folder I gave her so if I drop dead, she has recipes to carry on. I offered my son some recipes, he said no, you'll be around for a while,lol.

Russ

I was raised cooking with pinches and tads, dashes and splashes. But mostly my tongue and my nose tells me when i have it right. And when writing a recipe that is out of my head you are gonna get add salt to taste...add the spices you like etc. when i cook i really don't measure spices and seasonings. I taste and decide if something else is needed and sprinkle a bit of this, splash a tad of that, stir and taste again.

Now as for copying and sharing recipes, i have an ipad and i just take a photo of the written recipe and email or text it to the person wanting it.

Back
Top Bottom