How has your year been?

Lullabelle

Midlands, England
Local time
6:13 AM
This thread is on a different forum and has inspired me to create this on here.

This year my husband started running a local cycling club as a result we have both made new friends.

We have 2 new members in our families that we both look forward to seeing in the next couple of weeks.

February of last year I developed flu which completely floored me and took many months to get rid of, this year no flu.

Work has been pretty hectic and stressful, hopefully will be more settled next year.

Downside, I have lost interest in exercise and am carrying more weight than I would like but am determined to change that next year.

How has your year been?

Cancer still there. Liver repeatedly showing 50% capacity, bone thinning caused by long term treatment of epilepsy has been blamed.

The bone thinning may or may not be the reason for the CSF leaks which I've had since early April. Appointment given, for the end of next month, was cancelled the following day.

Treatment can only begin when they've managed to stop the use of what caused the thinning. Five years in March next year, with no luck.

Previous problems under local & general anesthetics have made them unwilling to operate.

Biggest problem isn't the above, more that some say they're a sick, delusional fantasy. As fantasies go, I can think of better.

Last edited:
Well it's been the first year of owning and running a forum. It's been an interesting experience.
I started the year with 11 broken ribs of which a couple are still letting me know about it 12 months on.
I'm carrying rather more weight than I'd like a a result of both the broken ribs, double pneumonia and a compression fracture of the T10 vertebra.
I very nearly died in July, spent 6 days on a respirator, 12 days in ICU and 2 months in total in hospital (all in one stay).

My husband also had pneumonia.

I've started knitting a lot of my own clothing.
I've learnt a whole load new stitches.
I've made pasta for the first time (it's now on the Christmas day menu).
I've taught myself how to spin using a drop spindle.
I've taught myself how to spin using a spinning wheel.
We've got rather more chickens than I know what to do with.
I've finally got my vegetable plot up and running and the new raised veg needs in.

As years go, it hasn't been the worst, but it's probably not one I'd like to repeat.

@Lullabelle

Definitely an interesting topic .. Thank you for posting ..

The only negative, threatening events, were "the terrorist attacks" that took place in the historic centre of Barcelona, not too far from where we reside. Both of us were travelling during that time ..

Other than these horrorific acts, all has been status quo ..

We re-organised our travel tourism part of the company and have travelled quite alot.

Our kitchen was renovated completely, the last of all the major renovations in our Barcelona apartment .

Have a healthy, successful and happy 2018 ahead ..

Cancer still there. Liver repeatedly showing 50% capacity, bone thinning caused by long term treatment of epilepsy has been blamed.

The bone thinning may or may not be the reason for the CSF leaks which I've had since early April. Appointment given, for the end of next month, was cancelled the following day.

Treatment can only begin when they've managed to stop the use of what caused the thinning. Five years in March next year, with no luck.

Previous problems under local & general anesthetics have made them unwilling to operate.

Biggest problem isn't the above, more that some say they're a sick, delusional fantasy. As fantasies go, I can think of better.

@classic33

I had no idea that you have been suffering with such a degrading and horrorific illness.

I wish you all the very best and may 2018, bring miracles to your health dilemas .. All our very best wishes ..

@classic33

DITTO @Francesca

You may or may not believe but I will pray for you anyway.

On the negative side.

My beautiful, 51 year old cousin died. Tragic and difficult for me to wrap my head around.
My lovely, 28 year old niece was born with Cerebral Palsy. She has had a rough year. Unexplained headaches, stomach issues, back issues and now Sciatica. That means that it has also been a rough year for Middle Sister.
Dirt bags broke into Mom's house the Friday before Thanks Giving.

Positive

A new great nephew born in March. An adorable baby. The family keeps growing.
Regardless of her physical issues my Niece joined the Church Choir, enrolled in an acting class and has started painting again.
Mom was not home when the dirt bags broke in. She has insurance. Baby brother installed a security system with cameras and cell phone alerts.
George had Bariatric Surgery in August. There was a minor set back but he recovered quickly. Steady weight loss, free of Type II Diabetes, no long on Lasix, his blood pressure meds have been reduced. His overall health has improved drastically.
#1 Brother had extensive back surgery on the 14th. He is in a lot of pain and faces a very long recovery. He is optimistic and focused on how much better he will be after a full recovery.
My fall garden did well.
I have a couple of small craft projects working.
A new sewing machine for my last birthday - my old one died. No major sewing - made throw pillows for the bedroom that I re-decorated in the spring. Lots of mending and alterations.
Smart phone for me. My learning curve is rather steep. :oops:

Oh - a very positive thing - I found all of you.:happy:

A very Merry Christmas and a blessed New Year to all of my new Cooking Bites friends.

Joyeux Noel et Bonne Nouvelle Annee

@ElizabethB

All my sincerest wishes for a miraculous and healthy New Year for you and your family members. So saddened to hear all this .. All my best for a healthy, successful and happy New Year ahead and all our best wishes ..

On a positive note, we are very elated, that you have found all of us at CookingBites too ..

Always a pleasure to chat a couple of minutes with you .. Don´t forget about that book ! Ha Ha .. All my best.

@ElizabethB & @Lullabelle,

My my .. I am so sorry that your Mom´s House was Burglarised .. Lucky, she was not home ..

Lullabelle: After Reading all of these difficult dilemas people have, I realise how lucky we are ..

It saddens me to come into contact with those suffering from such severe illnesses or deformities ..

All my best for a wonderful 2018 ahead too ..

@ElizabethB & @Lullabelle,

My my .. I am so sorry that your Mom´s House was Burglarised .. Lucky, she was not home ..

Lullabelle: After Reading all of these difficult dilemas people have, I realise how lucky we are ..

It saddens me to come into contact with those suffering from such severe illnesses or deformities ..

All my best for a wonderful 2018 ahead too ..

Agreed, we are lucky. I cannot begin to imagine how it must feel to be burgled, the important thing is that no one was hurt.

The positives far outweigh the negatives.

We are blessed with a wonderful, loving family. My greatest gift and strength. George's health has improved drastically. I have no MAJOR health issues - just the usual stuff that comes with getting older. We have a nice home - dream house? No but comfortable. My car is old but functional. We are not wealthy but certainly not poor. We have lots of (too much) stuff. Especially "Big Boy Toys".

In addition to family we have good friends. Most importantly we have each other.

When ever I feel down, out, put upon - I have learned to stop - take a deep breathe and look around. Really see those who are truly less fortunate. I call it a gratuity check. Be grateful for the people in our lives and what we have. Never envy or resent those who appear to have more. Smile even on the worst day. Please and thank you. Be kind, speak kindly. Do what you can for others less fortunate. Always say I love You to the special people in your life. You never know when those may be the last words they hear from you.

I try to live with my glass half full instead of half empty. Make lemonade out of lemons. Smile until it hurts. Laugh out loud. Find something nice to say to everyone encountered. Compliment strangers - pretty shirt, love your shoes, beautiful baby. Smile.

I do not give money to pan handlers - I keep a stack of $5 gift cards to Burger King, bottles of water and protein bars in my car. I give those out instead of money.

Every day, every week, every month, every year is only as good as I make it. I have a choice - live in misery or live happy and in gratitude.

Death teaches me to appreciate life. Illness or injury teaches me to appreciate health. Loss teaches me to appreciate what I have.

The positives far outweigh the negatives.

We are blessed with a wonderful, loving family. My greatest gift and strength. George's health has improved drastically. I have no MAJOR health issues - just the usual stuff that comes with getting older. We have a nice home - dream house? No but comfortable. My car is old but functional. We are not wealthy but certainly not poor. We have lots of (too much) stuff. Especially "Big Boy Toys".

In addition to family we have good friends. Most importantly we have each other.

When ever I feel down, out, put upon - I have learned to stop - take a deep breathe and look around. Really see those who are truly less fortunate. I call it a gratuity check. Be grateful for the people in our lives and what we have. Never envy or resent those who appear to have more. Smile even on the worst day. Please and thank you. Be kind, speak kindly. Do what you can for others less fortunate. Always say I love You to the special people in your life. You never know when those may be the last words they hear from you.

I try to live with my glass half full instead of half empty. Make lemonade out of lemons. Smile until it hurts. Laugh out loud. Find something nice to say to everyone encountered. Compliment strangers - pretty shirt, love your shoes, beautiful baby. Smile.

I do not give money to pan handlers - I keep a stack of $5 gift cards to Burger King, bottles of water and protein bars in my car. I give those out instead of money.

Every day, every week, every month, every year is only as good as I make it. I have a choice - live in misery or live happy and in gratitude.

Death teaches me to appreciate life. Illness or injury teaches me to appreciate health. Loss teaches me to appreciate what I have.

Amen :highfive:

@ElizabethB, what you doing with "Big Boy Toys"?

Keep Smilling.jpg

Back
Top Bottom