How important are sauces to you?

How important are sauces to you?

• Very important - I can't enjoy a dish without some sort of sauce.

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • Somewhat important - some dishes are good without a sauce (but better with it).

Votes: 6 46.2%
  • Neutral - Whether or not there's a sauce isn't important to me.

Votes: 6 46.2%
  • Unimportant - Dishes shouldn't need sauces: they should stand on their own.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Anti-Sauce - I hate sauces. If I see you trying to use a sauce, I will knock it out of your hand.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
As for outdated sauces and foods. I like old sauces, they never disappoint. I make chicken croquettes from a 30 year old recipe. My kids entree when here , they always ask for croquettes, every time. And I also make modern stuff as well. How many 100s of years have creme brûlée been around. I also get asked for that.

Russ

Mole, green chili, red chili....... Just off the top of my head. I discount the term "Foreign Sauces", may have been to him, but in my world I don't base my idea on what the French categorize them as.:headshake:
Good point. I suppose the 'Tomato' category would need expanding to include other fruit-based sauces.

Good point. I suppose the 'Tomato' category would need expanding to include other fruit-based sauces.

I make 2 tomato sauces, one is my ketchup sauce. I also make tomato sauce for pasta, I add basil and oregano and freeze it in 2 litre contains for the winter.

Russ

We make a variety of tomato based sauces. Many cultures have adapted their cuisine when new ingredients became available. Tomatoes, being from the nightshade family, were first shunned in Europe when introduced. When Italian-American food is mentioned, I bet the first thing that comes to mind is tomato sauce (Sunday gravy).

Those that do will still be cooking classic "outdated" sauces such as Hollandaise long after low fat, vegan, gluten free fads have been forgotten.
Yep, that's me...I'll take the full fat option every time please :okay: I love Hollandaise, its probably my favourite sauce.

What's the problem with mutton?
The only problem I have with mutton is that its so difficult to get hold of :cry: I love lamb, but hogget and mutton have much more depth of flavour.

Talking of old fashioned sauces...Béchamel is of course an old fashioned sauce and dates back hundreds of years - sometimes known as the mother of all sauces. Mornay sauce is another French classic which is alive and well today - in other words cheese sauce.

As for outdated sauces and foods. I like old sauces, they never disappoint. I make chicken croquettes from a 30 year old recipe. My kids entree when here , they always ask for croquettes, every time. And I also make modern stuff as well. How many 100s of years have creme brûlée been around. I also get asked for that.

Russ

I Love croquettes. Can't find them anymore though.

It's not popular here. That was my dry sense of humor referencing the Titanic, as it was on the menu (over 100 years ago), and the huge amount of food/meals served back then.

https://www.boredpanda.com/titanic-...=bing&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=organic
It's not popular here either apart from among us die hards. Traditionally it's regarded as a poor cousin to lamb, but along with hogget it has it's fans. I had no idea it was served on the Titanic. I'm guessing just in steerage though.

Back
Top Bottom