How many cookbooks do you own?

Francesca

Local time
10:10 PM
@Elawin

Definitely a book would be my choice as well .. My books need an apartment of their own literally !

The Flavor Bible is an amazingly extraordinary book .. I picked it up at Yearly International Book Fair held in all of Spain between Late May to June 18th every year.

Congratulations once again and have a nice day ahead ..

Mod edit: this thread is a continuation of this thread which went off topic.

Last edited by a moderator:
@Elawin

Definitely a book would be my choice as well .. My books need an apartment of their own literally !

The Flavor Bible is an amazingly extraordinary book .. I picked it up at Yearly International Book Fair held in all of Spain between Late May to June 18th every year.

Congratulations once again and have a nice day ahead ..
I have a spare bedroom which I have converted into a library, but even then I've got some bookshelves on the landing and in the front room, and all my cookery books have their own home on top of the cabinets in the kitchen. A late friend of mine was chief librarian at our local library, and he said once that he thought I had more books on some subjects than they had - needless to say cookery was one of them :D

I have a spare bedroom which I have converted into a library, but even then I've got some bookshelves on the landing and in the front room, and all my cookery books have their own home on top of the cabinets in the kitchen. A late friend of mine was chief librarian at our local library, and he said once that he thought I had more books on some subjects than they had - needless to say cookery was one of them :D
My cookbooks have their own room. I need to be in there organizing not chatting here.

My cookbooks have their own room. I need to be in there organizing not chatting here.
I have a load of ebooks, kindle books and pdfs too that are stored on my computer and also in various clouds so I can access them easily in the kitchen. I also have a shelf in the kitchen where I keep the books I use most, and some up in the "library" - mainly books or parts of books about a hundred years+ old that belonged to my grandparents and parents, which would get really spoiled if I kept them with all the others - some were not in the best of conditions when I inherited them. I did sort out all my small books, leaflets and loose recipes into files, but desperately need to sort all the books out properly.

I have a load of ebooks, kindle books and pdfs too that are stored on my computer and also in various clouds so I can access them easily in the kitchen. I also have a shelf in the kitchen where I keep the books I use most, and some up in the "library" - mainly books or parts of books about a hundred years+ old that belonged to my grandparents and parents, which would get really spoiled if I kept them with all the others - some were not in the best of conditions when I inherited them. I did sort out all my small books, leaflets and loose recipes into files, but desperately need to sort all the books out properly.
I have a spreadsheet with all the titles. I need to find 2 more shelves. I mean physical shelves.
Right now, most of the booklets are in laundry baskets.
I am trying to get a better system so I don't spend an hour looking for a specific book.

Oh on the kindle books, some are good and some aren't worth the bytes.

I tend to get the Kindle books that people I know recommend, or ones where they are linked from recipes posted on various sites. Even then, I usually wait until Amazon or some of the other book sites have them for free.
I haven't actually counted the number of physical cookery books I have. It's nowhere near the number you have, but it seems to be increasing regularly. I started collecting individual recipes some time back, either cut from mags and newspapers, handwritten, or just printed off the internet, and there are absolutely thousands upon thousands. Quite a few I have actually tried and others I keep for reference or to try or to adapt.

I've also got several sets of part works. The ones that belonged to my grandparents were all published in weekly parts in those days, but they are not cookery books as such. They all have "encyclopaedia" in the titles, but that definitely does not mean they are what we refer to now as encyclopaedias. Some have cookery sections, and the others have recipes throughout all the parts, and most of the recipes are for 40 or so people, so they need adapting! They were bought at a time when one of my aunts was in service in a large house. She had progressed from kitchen maid to being the maid who did or repaired all the embroidery, so these books became pretty much redundant from that point of view. However, luckily for me Grandad kept them and then passed them on to my Mum (who used to be a cook in all sorts of establishments such as dockside and other East End pubs and ended up working in Kelsey-Hayes/Ford's canteen!). I rescued them when she died - some of her cookery books had already disappeared, and I've a sneaky feeling my brother threw them away when my Dad died. I do have some other part works too from the 1970s and 1980s, one of which I use regularly.

My daughter has a collection of cookery books too, and funnily enough all of her are entirely different to mine except for one - a book which was my Mum's, which I inherited along with all the others, but I already had a copy of it. Most of my daughter's books are a lot more modern in outlook than mine - she is into Nigella Lawson and the like.

All but a few have been picked up in the 26 years. The two major exceptions are Joy of Cooking (paperback) from my first marriage and The Good Housekeeping Illustrated Cookbook from his first marriage.

I have one cookbook. The Good Housekeeping Cookbook, 1973. It is falling apart and you have to be careful when you pick it up.

I had a copy of Baking with Julia Child. I had just bought it and had my head buried in it outside of the bookstore as I was walking. I walked right dang smack into a very tall lady. I looked up and it was Julia Child herself. She was going into the bookstore for a book signing session. She started to laugh and offered to autograph it to me. The personal note she added was, "Adele, always hold your head up high." I treasured that book. Then I was down sizing and the bookcase I was bringing with me was too small to take it with me. I had to give it away.

I have two cookbooks (gifts by my mother in law), but my Bible is the recipes book ( mostly Apulian dishes) written by my dad and some old paper sheets with annoted the main Sardinian recipes by my aunt and mom.
I have some that I typed up about 50 years ago. I wish I still had my original handwritten ones, although they would probably have "died" by now.

I have some of my grandfather's recipes dating back a while. he was strange because he loved to cook when it was seen a women's work then. They date back to the 50s. He had wrote a lot of them, copied out others and added little notes to the margins. I love him jam notes but they are so hard to read because of his handwriting. It was always difficult to work out.

Back
Top Bottom