How many eggs can you really eat a day?

isabbbela

Veteran
Local time
2:39 AM
I love eggs and specially if I'm on a diet (I love the Dukan diet), I eat a lot of eggs. However, I have always heard you are not supposed to eat too many eggs because they are not good for your health and your cholesterol if eaten too much.
How many eggs can you really eat everyday without harming your health?

That is one of the many food myths that have been debunked recently. There is no official limit now.

The UK's NHS website now confirms this.
www.nhs.uk/Livewell/Goodfood/Pages/eggs-nutrition.aspx

There is no recommended limit on how many eggs people should eat. But to get the nutrients you need, make sure you eat as varied a diet as possible.

Yes, guidelines have changed (again) so feel free to eat eggs any time you like. The great thing about eggs is that they are completely natural and cannot be tampered with. No preservatives or additives either and a great source of nutrients. I'd say they are a lot better for you than the majority of these low-fat foods available.

http://www.mensfitness.com/nutrition/what-to-eat/eating-too-many-eggs
http://authoritynutrition.com/6-reasons-why-eggs-are-the-healthiest-food-on-the-planet/

The egg discussion has really amused me to some extent,as with so many other things. I remember when we were not suppose to eat eggs everyday and all the rest of it. Today like all the others mentioned and the above post highlights, eggs are the best thing on the planet.

See if the links above helps you in deciding how many to eggs to eat per day.

Last edited:
Thank god for that. I have 5 chickens and get 5 eggs everyday. 35 per week. I give some away, but still end up with lots. At least now I know I can eat eggs with no ill effects. I to always thought you were only supposed to eat so many. Thanks for the articles.

Thank god for that. I have 5 chickens and get 5 eggs everyday. 35 per week. I give some away, but still end up with lots. At least now I know I can eat eggs with no ill effects. I to always thought you were only supposed to eat so many. Thanks for the articles.
Back a few years ago it was something stupid like 2 a week, which i routinely ignored anyhow because a friend had bantams and we used to get given about 12 a week of those and our friend up in Scotland had loads of hens so when we visit her we can easily get through 24 eggs in a week... She has a fridge dedicated to the storage of them and it is always full!

We also get given 6-12 duck eggs every week as well from our landlady!

I have also heard all the controversy about how eggs should not be consumed on too regular a basis. Since then, it seems that the experts are saying otherwise.

I like eggs and find that they are very versatile. They are also a good source of protein. Eggs can also be found in many baked products like cakes and cookies, for instance. On average I would eat about 4 to 5 eggs a week, and no more than 1 a day. I do have friends, however, who would eat about 6 eggs at one go.

I do have friends, however, who would eat about 6 eggs at one go.
my max is 3 in a day... that is usually when we are cycle touring with tens and camping equipment. we would buy a box and eat the lot in one go... if I'm on my own then (cycle touring), it would be 3 in my evening meal and 3 hard boiled for the next day... at home not more than 2 in a day. 6 is a lot to eat in one go!

I doubt you can "overdose" on eggs or anything like that, and I have heard stories of athletes eating a LOT of eggs while they're training (for the protein most likely). Obviously not everyone has the same dietary restrictions though

I love eggs and we go through about a dozen a week collectively in my family. Just last night I hardboiled 10 of them for snacking on. My problem is that I LOVE deviled eggs and that is where all the fat and unhealthy stuff comes in. I mix my yolks with mayo, mustard, thinly diced onion, and bacon bits.

I CAN eat four in a day but I tend to stick with two. They're too versatile & constantly in use for me to be popping eggs in my face all day.

I think I can only eat 1 egg a day particularly during breakfast only. I have not heard any side effects of eating to much egg for humans, however I am not a fan of eating 2 to 3 eggs a day. One egg a day is quite enough for me.

Eggs are good sources of protein but I do not eat eggs everyday. Maybe 2 to 3 times a week are the maximum pieces of eggs I eat. Usually I like eating them hard boiled instead of frying because I avoid oils and fatty foods.

I think it is fine to eat several per day. I can't do it personally because if I eat them all the time pretty soon I am so sick of them that they don't taste good and I almost can't swallow. My room mate eats about 3 eggs a day for the proteins. I don't see anything wrong with that, especially since they come from our chickens that are eating lots of grubs.

I eat eggs every single day - at least two, but sometimes three and on rare occasions four - if I get the munchies late at night and I'm craving a poached or fried egg over some toast. But for breakfast I almost always have eggs in some fashion, either fried, scrambled, in a burrito, poached, you name it. They are such an inexpensive and satisfying form of protein, that it's hard to substitute them for anything else. I'm also a big fan of making some sort of egg dish for dinner, I love cracking open the yolks from a fried/poached egg and letting them form a sauce over stuff like steak or spinach.

Last time I heard someone recommending the daily allowance for eggs, it was TV Chef Sarah Moulton, who said it was perfectly fine to enjoy two eggs per day.

Back
Top Bottom