How many of you have an ice maker?

GadgetGuy

(Formerly Shermie)
Local time
5:36 PM
Gormia Ice Maker..jpg

it can be an under-the-counter one that's permanently hooked up to the water line or a portable unit where you add the water to it yourself. Found this little one at Amazon.com. Had a larger one, but it bit the dust after 10 years.

It will take up far less space than the older one did! :wink:

View attachment 13110

it can be an under-the-counter one that's permanently hooked up to the water line or a portable unit where you add the water to it yourself. Found this little one at Amazon.com. Had a larger one, but it bit the dust after 10 years.

It will take up far less space than the older one did! :wink:

Afraid not. I just put water in a cube tray in the freezer.

Our ice maker is incorporated in the freezer compartment of the fridge. No water or ice dispenser in the door. I hate that. A waste of space.

My nephew, his wife & kids have a big side-by-side unit that has dispensers on the freezer door for whole ice cubes, crushed ice & chilled water.
Very convenient!! :wink:

@The Late Night Gourmet
With just the two of us the in door ice and water is a waste of refrigerator space. Unfortunately our old house only as room for a 33" refrigerator. :cry: I would LOVE a 36" French door, bottom freezer unit. No ice or water in the door. With children your needs are different. The door dispensers are a must have.

I think probably that ice cubes are more important in the US. The climate in the UK means you don't need ice so much. The only time I ever use ice-cubes is if I'm making a cocktail or short drink like gin and tonic - and that is really not very often at all. In fact, I can't recall the last time I used any ice cubes. So having an ice maker would not be in any way useful to me. Maybe if it ever got really hot here for more than a week or so I might change my mind.

Last edited:
The summer is a GOOD time to have one! Especially for cookouts, parties & get-togethers! My plan is to make some ice cubes and store them in the freezer, to keep on hand for whenever the need arises. :wink:

Last edited:
I can't recall the last time I made ice cubes. I have about eight ice cube trays (from various fridges and freezers I've had over the years) but most of them are used to freeze herbs or lemon juice before putting them in plastic bags. I can't see the point in an ice dispenser in a freezer - I wouldn't use it enough to justify having one. My enormous chest freezer is too full of food even to think of trying to balance ice cube trays full of water in there.

Most of the year we don't have any ice ready - I hardly ever use ice cubes in drinks, though occasionally when blanching veg ice would be useful. Hubby like cold drinks so he keeps a jug of water in the wine fridge, I prefer mine room temperature.

In the summer if its really hot I may have one or two ice cubes in a drink so I have a couple of these Oxo no-spill ice cube trays - they're great as they don't spill even if they're not totally level. If it gets really hot I decant the ice into a plastic box in the freezer so I can make more. I also have a jug (which we use mostly for Pimms) which has a freezable inner core to keep your drink cool without diluting it :okay:

Back
Top Bottom