How many of you use knife gloves?

Discussion in 'Kitchen Appliances, Cookware, Gadgets & Cookbooks' started by Shermie, Nov 4, 2018.

1. Shermie

Shermie Über Member

I plan to get a pair. Not that I'm accident prone, but you never know when the blade might slip the wrong way & you end up cutting yourself!

2. oddduck

oddduck Active Member

Only knife i have ever cut myself with is an exacto knife while working in the studio so i feel fairly confident not needing something like that in the kitchen.

3. Shermie

Shermie Über Member

Knife Gloves.jpg

This is what they look like. :wink:

4. Shermie

Shermie Über Member

I sometimes do also. but it's also nice to know that there is always that extra margin of safety. It's better to have them & not need them, than to need them & not have them :wink:

5. morning glory

morning glory Obsessive cook Staff Member

I really don't know how it would be possible to grip and onion, for example, whilst chopping wearing those gloves.

6. classic33

classic33 Guest

Only the one is required.

Advice is not to use one on hand holding the knife as the knife can't be held securely. If the glove allows you to hold the knife, with no movement, chances are they'll also let the blade through in use.

Shermie likes this.
  7. rascal

rascal Senior Member

I use a stainless glove when cutting conveyor belting, that's my job, you can cut yourself very badly when using force. The last one I bought was around $250
    In my kitchen I never use gloves, I like to feel what I'm cutting. I'm just a bit careful. Couldn't tell you the last time I cut myself. I have grated fingers though, and that hurts.

Russ

8. Shermie

Shermie Über Member

I think that they come in sets of 2 though.:wink:

9. classic33

classic33 Guest

They're not light in use, if you get one that's able to withstand a knife slipping. Kevlar ones are available, a bit more flexible & lighter than the one pictured.

Most supplied in pairs are cut resistant, not cut proof. You'd have fewer worries picking the knife up by the blade, but would it stop a knife that slipped?

You also have the problem of cross-contamination as they are not the easiest things to clean.

10. classic33

classic33 Guest

The pair pictured are under the old system, not the current. I'd be wary of buying any PPE that's tested under an out of date system.

https://www.sliceproducts.com/en-gb/cut-resistant-gloves

Whilst the figures may seem high, bear in mind the pressure that will be on a knife blade.