How much fat do you like in your milk?

GadgetGuy

(Formerly Shermie)
Local time
6:54 AM
How much fat do you like in your milk?

For many years, ever since I was a child, I drank only whole milk. Back then, there were only TWO kinds - whole milk & skim milk. When 2% milk was introduced in the early '80s, I began drinking that.

But for the past 20 years or so, I've been drinking 1% milk. But I will NEVER drink skim milk!! It looks & tastes way too watery!! :yuck::stop:

i was bought up on milk straight from the cow ,we would go to the farm opposite our cottage and the milk was taken straight from the churn to our bottle and hand sealed ,but now i only drink green top semi skimmed milk,i find full fat milk to rich,but skimmed milk is like drinking white water , i find full fat steams better for coffees and is better for cooking

Because the fat blends in easily with whatever you're using it for. But as of late, I've been getting away with using 1& milk in those applications and there is almost no difference.
I REFUSE to drink whole milk unless I'm eating at a restaurant and that it all that they have. Like the other day at an IHOP restaurant. :stop:

Agree about the skimmed - Like drinking thin whitewash. I do use the semi skimmed though - not sure how this compares to the 2 or 1 % you seem to use. Maybe this is another USA / GB thing. Might be interesting to compare.

Im not a fan of milk although when I was young whole fat milk was the order of the day. These days I have semi skimmed milk as Mr WD has high blood pressure. And like everyone else, skimmed milk is like coloured water.

As a child I did love chocolate homogenised milk. Yummy

I grew up on full fat milk. I preferred raw milk (remember the days of the green top @welsh dragon ?) and would always drink that first when I could get hold of it, but otherwise it was full fat milk. I have just never liked semi or skimmed milk. Now the problem however is whether I have sweetened or unsweetened Almond milk, so from a dairy point of view, problem resolved really!

Mm. I remember gold top as well. You can still buy it. The cream is thick and solid at the top of the bottle. When I was pregnant many moons ago, the dr and midwife always gave me coupons to buy it. I hated it but Mr WD absolutely loved it.

I remember when we were kids, our mom used to have milk delivered from Hood.
It came in half gallon size glass bottles. At the top of the milk, there used to be the fat. We would get that off and eat it! :wink:

I always buy semi-skimmed. I don't like full fat or skimmed at all - they are too thick or too watery. I can't abide UHT long-life milk either - it's got such a nasty aftertaste. I vaguely remember the green-top unhomogenised milk too and the days of the milkman!

Yeah, I don't like that uncooled milk that is on the store shelves that is in those juice-type boxes. I don't like that taste of that either!! :yuck: :stop:

Over here we can get 0%, 1%, 1.5% and then full fat which I don't know the % of.
Usually go with either 0% or 1.5%... lately more of 0% since I still find the taste to be good.

Uhhhhhhh whole milk all the way. I have a confession, I actually have no clue what people mean when they say "x percent milk"...

i was bought up on milk straight from the cow ,we would go to the farm opposite our cottage and the milk was taken straight from the churn to our bottle and hand sealed ,but now i only drink green top semi skimmed milk,i find full fat milk to rich,but skimmed milk is like drinking white water , i find full fat steams better for coffees and is better for cooking

I too must have been raised on the milk straight from the cow, but I have very vague recollections if any at all. I do have more vivid recollections of pulling the breasts of the cow and being very excited about the exercise:). These days I mostly see 2% milk in the house but I am not a big fan of milk on it's own.

I do have more vivid recollections of pulling the breasts of the cow
Totally as an aside and please don't take it the wrong way (I know it is a translation issue), we tend to use the word "udders" rather than breasts when it comes to cows but you did bring a smile to my face! :giggle:

Mm. I remember gold top as well. You can still buy it. The cream is thick and solid at the top of the bottle. When I was pregnant many moons ago, the dr and midwife always gave me coupons to buy it. I hated it but Mr WD absolutely loved it.
My Grandmother would only every drink sterilised milk in those funny shaped milk bottles! Yuck that was foul. :sick:

Back
Top Bottom