How much fresh active yeast do use to substitute the dry yeast?

pinkcherrychef

Local time
12:56 PM
Okay so here in Egypt you can buy a big block of fresh a active yeast. They do have dry active yeast but I prefer the fresh one. Except here's the thing how much do I add when making bread? All the bread recipes I found say dry active yeast packet. I know you can substitute dry for fresh yeast instead. I just don't know how much. Does anyone know? I need to find out soon I want make some bread this weekend.

Okay so here in Egypt you can buy a big block of fresh a active yeast. They do have dry active yeast but I prefer the fresh one. Except here's the thing how much do I add when making bread? All the bread recipes I found say dry active yeast packet. I know you can substitute dry for fresh yeast instead. I just don't know how much. Does anyone know? I need to find out soon I want make some bread this weekend.

I'd say about 20g of fresh yeast for 500g flour. It really doesn't matter very much if you are a bit over or under.

Do you mean 60g to 15g?
No. It was a half, half. So if you take an ounce of fresh (rounded up for ease) 30g fresh would equate to 15g of dry active yeast and to 7.5g of dry instant yeast. remember that there are 2 types of dry yeast. One needs making up and activating (dry active) and the other gets added straight to the dry flour (dry instant).

But there is a big but as always, it depends entirely on how much sugar is in things, though I didn't cover that for here because we were taking about conventional bread rather than anything else.

It's why though instant sachets come in really weird weights are you to have scales accurate enough to weigh them (which I used to have one upon a time). Those sachets of doves farm instant yeast are around the 7g mark. Usually people just follow the instructions on the side of the packet. So 500g of flour would be one sachet of instant dried yeast (remembering that there are 2 types of dried yeast).

This makes for some useful reading. http://www.swedishfood.com/yeast

I used canned easy bake yeast (which is the same as instant dried yeast) and they recommend 7 g to 450 or 500 g of flour.

I haven't used fresh yeast for years; in fact I haven't found any local stores that even sell it fresh any more.

I haven't used fresh yeast for years; in fact I haven't found any local stores that even sell it fresh any more
You can usually ask in any supermarket for some, but you have to ask in the instore baker not any other assistant. They use it to make their loaves in-store.

Plus a lot of health food shops do keep it in the fridge section, again it's better to ask for it.

Here in Australia I have been really lucky to get hold of it easily. I still have some in the freezer at the moment. Once this heatwave passes, I'll be using it to make some crumpets, Staffordshire oatcakes and maybe some bread as well.

You can usually ask in any supermarket for some, but you have to ask in the instore baker not any other assistant. They use it to make their loaves in-store.

Plus a lot of health food shops do keep it in the fridge section, again it's better to ask for it.

Here in Australia I have been really lucky to get hold of it easily. I still have some in the freezer at the moment. Once this heatwave passes, I'll be using it to make some crumpets, Staffordshire oatcakes and maybe some bread as well.
Unfortunately the supermarkets where I live got rid of their in-store bakeries a long time ago.

Unfortunately the supermarkets where I live got rid of their in-store bakeries a long time ago.

It used to be the case that some in-store bakeries would give/sell you yeast but I haven't managed to find one that does for a very long time.

Okay unfortunately I ran out of data that weekend so I was unable to reply sorry. I found out that one packet or dry yeast equals 21 grams of fresh yeast. So I did a hypothesis on how much tsps were in grams then decided 2 more tsps of yeast would be good just in case my hypothesis was a bit off and a little more yeast wouldn't hurt. So my conclusion was 6 tsps of fresh yeast would be enough for me to substitute the dry yeast packet. 1 tablespoon equals 3 teaspoons so I just put 2 good full sized tablespoons (not leveled or anything) of fresh yeast for my bread. Thank God my bread turned out wonderfully perfect! So for me my hypothesis worked! Thank you all for your help I'm sorry I was unable to get your advice when I was making my bread but there still very much appreciated.

Okay unfortunately I ran out of data that weekend so I was unable to reply sorry. I found out that one packet or dry yeast equals 21 grams of fresh yeast. So I did a hypothesis on how much tsps were in grams then decided 2 more tsps of yeast would be good just in case my hypothesis was a bit off and a little more yeast wouldn't hurt. So my conclusion was 6 tsps of fresh yeast would be enough for me to substitute the dry yeast packet. 1 tablespoon equals 3 teaspoons so I just put 2 good full sized tablespoons (not leveled or anything) of fresh yeast for my bread. Thank God my bread turned out wonderfully perfect! So for me my hypothesis worked! Thank you all for your help I'm sorry I was unable to get your advice when I was making my bread but there still very much appreciated.

Well done! I'm glad your bread worked out well. :okay::)

Back
Top Bottom