How often do you Eat Oatmeal?

I simply buy individual porridge servings from the local supermarket add a few cranberries [or whatever is handy ] and [sorry] a tiny sprinkling of brown sugar. Although I sometimes omit the sugar and use golden syrup instead. Could do it cheaper by buying a large box but it's simpler quicker and at 3 packs for £1 it's not bad. [yes I'm a bit lazy]. Also trying to lower the cholesterol but not sure yet how it's doing

3 packs for £1
But you can buy a 1kg packet which is roughly 33 servings (30g serving) for £1.20 even at the most expensive of supermarkets (Waitrose). It doesn't take much to weigh it put each morning and I bet that your packet isn't even a full 30g serving either. I know I only eat 25g servings meaning a 1kg packet lasts me 40 days for only 20p more than you pay for 3 days.

Tesco sell their own for 80p per kilo or Scottish oats for 99p per kilo. 40 days verses 3 days.

You pay £13.30 for something I pay £1 for.

Last edited:
:headshake::headshake:
I simply buy individual porridge servings from the local supermarket add a few cranberries [or whatever is handy ] and [sorry] a tiny sprinkling of brown sugar. Although I sometimes omit the sugar and use golden syrup instead. Could do it cheaper by buying a large box but it's simpler quicker and at 3 packs for £1 it's not bad. [yes I'm a bit lazy]. Also trying to lower the cholesterol but not sure yet how it's doing

Isn't instant oatmeal laced with sugar? :unsure::headshake:

Did they tell you to watch your alcohol intake?
And to always wear shoes.

My doc told me about alcohol intake, but not about shoes, which I DO wear all the time.

Aspartame has been taken out of most things that are sweetened with no-sugar sweeteners. It became an issue with top health experts, doctors & advocates as a needless chemical that is thought to do more harm to the body than good.

Just like about 40 years ago when consumers had complained about Sweet & Low a saccharin-laced sweetener as the only no-sugar sweetener, mainly because it leaves a horrible after-taste in the mouth. In later years, its chief ingredient (saccharin) was thought to cause cancer in laboratory animals. But after extensive tests, that theory was proven to be false. But still, I won't use it because of that horrible after-taste that it leaves in the mouth. :headshake:

It has been said that if a person. be it a man, woman or child, eats it for one month straight, their cholesterol level could be significantly reduced.

So how often do you eat it? I like Maypo - the regular one! I'm going on a weight-loss diet to lose some weight. I've already lost almost 20lbs, down from 298lbs.

I want to see if I can get rid of the diabetes. It has been said that if you lose enough weight, that it should go away. I've been eating low-fat Greek yogurt for breakfast, a light lunch and a normal supper. So far, it seems to be working out good. :wink:
Congrats. I would love to get rid of some pounds myself. About oatmeal - I rarely eat it but if but if it's as good as you say I should include it more in my diet. Last time I tried an oatmeal breakfast meal it was not well received. It looked very uninviting to everyone. I ended up eating it to get rid of it.

But your Maypo has sugar and maple syrup in it!

You can't taste it. True, the maple flavor is present, but you can't taste any sweetness from it. I know.

I've been eating this since we were kids growing up in the nest. I also eat regular oatmeal on occasion. I don't really see all the flack about Maypo, since a sweetener of some kind is put in it once it is cooked and in the bowl. After all, who would eat it bitter tasting? No one would eat cereal without putting something sweet on it, unless it already is sweet.

Even cold cereal. I don't eat it without at least putting some Splenda on it. :headshake:

Just a heads-up;

On the back of the box under Delicious & Nutritious, it say that;

Maypo contains 2/3 less sugar than the leading brand of instant maple flavored oatmeal. :wink:

You can't taste it. True, the maple flavor is present, but you can't taste any sweetness from it. I know.

I've been eating this since we were kids growing up in the nest. I also eat regular oatmeal on occasion. I don't really see all the flack about Maypo, since a sweetener of some kind is put in it once it is cooked and in the bowl. After all, who would eat it bitter tasting? No one would eat cereal without putting something sweet on it, unless it already is sweet.

Even cold cereal. I don't eat it without at least putting some Splenda on it. :headshake:
Well, you know I eat oatmeal cooked in water with just a little salt. No sugar. I don't think it needs it. Lots of people just add some fresh fruit as a topping instead of sugar. But what you are buying has sugar added to it whether you can taste it or not - so you would save calories by eating plain oatmeal and adding Splenda.

My doc told me about alcohol intake, but not about shoes, which I DO wear all the time.

Aspartame has been taken out of most things that are sweetened with no-sugar sweeteners. It became an issue with top health experts, doctors & advocates as a needless chemical that is thought to do more harm to the body than good.

Just like about 40 years ago when consumers had complained about Sweet & Low a saccharin-laced sweetener as the only no-sugar sweetener, mainly because it leaves a horrible after-taste in the mouth. In later years, its chief ingredient (saccharin) was thought to cause cancer in laboratory animals. But after extensive tests, that theory was proven to be false. But still, I won't use it because of that horrible after-taste that it leaves in the mouth. :headshake:
No, aspartame is still the main sweetner in diet cokes.
Oh my advice didn't come from researchers, it came from the fact that it messes with my blood sugar so why take a chance.

The reason for shoes is because you might not notice a cut or scrape that doesn't heal. We know too many diabetics in wheelchairs

Just a heads-up;

On the back of the box under Delicious & Nutritious, it say that;

Maypo contains 2/3 less sugar than the leading brand of instant maple flavored oatmeal. :wink:
Ok that could be misleading. The advertiser may not be counting the maple syrup as a sugar.
Hold on I want to get the nutritional information.
Oh and you can buy canisters of instant oatmeal with no sugars.
I just looked up both maypo and quaker oats maple.
Next time you go grocery shopping, read the nutrition labels. Specifically the carbohydrates then sugars.
Maypo has 32 grams of sugars. Quaker has 12 grams of sugar.

Last edited:
Ok that could be misleading. The advertiser may not be counting the maple syrup as a sugar.
Hold on I want to get the nutritional information.
Oh and you can buy canisters of instant oatmeal with no sugars.
I just looked up both maypo and quaker oats maple.
Next time you go grocery shopping, read the nutrition labels. Specifically the carbohydrates then sugars.
Maypo has 32 grams of sugars. Quaker has 12 grams of sugar.

See my post on page 1 which was why I was mentioning it. Plain oatmeal has no sugar at all and is by far the healthiest option (and much cheaper!). Add some Splenda and the calories will be a lot less than in Quaker or Maypo. It cooks up in the microwave in seconds. And I'm not talking about 'instant' oats - just plain oatmeal. If I get a chance I'll cook some tomorrow and photograph it...

But you can buy a 1kg packet which is roughly 33 servings (30g serving) for £1.20 even at the most expensive of supermarkets (Waitrose). It doesn't take much to weigh it put each morning and I bet that your packet isn't even a full 30g serving either. I know I only eat 25g servings meaning a 1kg packet lasts me 40 days for only 20p more than you pay for 3 days.

Tesco sell their own for 80p per kilo or Scottish oats for 99p per kilo. 40 days verses 3 days.

You pay £13.30 for something I pay £1 for.
Very True but as I said I am all for a simple life [and lazy]. Open pot - pour in water - add extras - stir - eat I only get chance to eat porridge 3 times a week so at £1 a week [half the price of a coffee from just about anywhere] it's an easy option. Besides 40 servings would last 13 [maybe14] weeks - 3 1/2 months. I feel an opened packet might be getting a bit tired by then.
:headshake::headshake:

Isn't instant oatmeal laced with sugar? :unsure::headshake:
As said maybe some is but the brand I use isn't [and neither does it seem to have salt in it either] bit of a win win really

Back
Top Bottom