How often do you Eat Oatmeal?

See my post on page 1 which was why I was mentioning it. Plain oatmeal has no sugar at all and is by far the healthiest option (and much cheaper!). Add some Splenda and the calories will be a lot less than in Quaker or Maypo. It cooks up in the microwave in seconds. And I'm not talking about 'instant' oats - just plain oatmeal. If I get a chance I'll cook some tomorrow and photograph it...
Your post and Shermie's later comment about the less sugar is why I looked up the information.
You are the one that found the maple syrup. Thank you for that.

I measure my porridge oats in the one quarter cup measure and add twice that in water. It is one of the few things that is actually easier to measure out by volume. I cook it on a low heat while I have a shwer or make my sandwiches for work. I don't like it cooked in milk but I do add a little warm skimmed milk to the bowl ( actually I put the milk in the bowl then in the microwave for 30 secs ) before pouring in the porridge then I sprinkle a half teaspoon of brown sugar. Apart from the milk in the microwave bit, that is exactly the way that my dad used to make it for us . He used to use an old china cup that had lost its handle to measure out the porridge oats according to how many people were having it that day. It's funny that he still makes it like that for himself even now but he has dried fruit like craisens etc mixed in it these days, which I'm not keen on. They mix enough to fill a storage jar with it.
I also add porridge oats to crumble toppings and biscuits as mentioned in a previous recipe thread. I always intend to make my own flapjack ....one day!

I measure my porridge oats in the one quarter cup measure and add twice that in water. It is one of the few things that is actually easier to measure out by volume. I cook it on a low heat while I have a shwer or make my sandwiches for work. I don't like it cooked in milk but I do add a little warm skimmed milk to the bowl ( actually I put the milk in the bowl then in the microwave for 30 secs ) before pouring in the porridge then I sprinkle a half teaspoon of brown sugar. Apart from the milk in the microwave bit, that is exactly the way that my dad used to make it for us . He used to use an old china cup that had lost its handle to measure out the porridge oats according to how many people were having it that day. It's funny that he still makes it like that for himself even now but he has dried fruit like craisens etc mixed in it these days, which I'm not keen on. They mix enough to fill a storage jar with it.
I also add porridge oats to crumble toppings and biscuits as mentioned in a previous recipe thread. I always intend to make my own flapjack ....one day!
Do you mean flapjack as in a pancake?
They are easy. Mix the batter, pour on to a hot flat cooking surface,
7116SBcDbjL._SY355_.jpg
like this. Cook until small bubbles form and burst. Turn over and cook the other side.

UK to us translation issues here. flapjacks are oatmeal thick slices in the UK. rolled oats, sugar, fat and some flavouring, about 1.5-2cm thick.

View attachment 4994
Cooked in the oven.
US translation would be similar to a granola bar.
No worries, one of these years we will all be fluent in Internet English.
Or at least we won't starve anywhere.

Oatmeal IS also in granola bars, but I only eat those if or when the glucose level is dangerously or borderline low. :wink:

Granola bars in the UK at least tend to be crisp and snap.
Flapjacks tend to bend and crumble or break into well many pieces but they ate not crisp, not soggy but moist is probably the best description. also much thicker than the Granola bars I certainly have had.

But that said if I look up a recipe for a granola bar, it does look very similar to that of a flapjack.

Granola bar http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/7001/cinnamon-berry-granola-bars
  • 100g butter, plus extra for greasing
  • 200g porridge oats
  • 100g sunflower seeds
  • 50g sesame seeds
  • 50g chopped walnuts
  • 3 tbsp honey
  • 100g light muscovado sugar
  • 1 tsp ground cinnamon
  • 100g dried cranberries, cherries or blueberries, or a mix
A typical flapjack recipe http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/british-flapjacks-35751
  • 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, cut into 8 pieces
  • 1/2 cup (packed) golden brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup golden syrup
  • 2 1/3 cups quick-cooking oats (not instant or old-fashioned)
  • Pinch of salt
Though I'm not sure if you are familiar or have come across golden syrup which is integral to the gooey nature of the flapjack and rather British!

American flapjacks:
Flour, baking powder, salt, sugar, milk, egg, melted butter or margarine

The British flapjack recipe states:
quick-cooking oats (not instant or old-fashioned)
Now I'm not sure I know the difference between quick-cook and instant and 'old-fashioned'. I'm presuming 'old-fashioned' means plain natural oats. But anyway, why would you need quick-cooking rather than natural oats? I've made flapjacks and I use ordinary porridge oats.

Now I'm not sure I know the difference between quick-cook and instant and 'old-fashioned'. I'm presuming 'old-fashioned' means plain natural oats. But anyway, why would you need quick-cooking rather than natural oats? I've made flapjacks and I use ordinary porridge oats.
That particular recipe probably doesn't cook them for long enough.
Instant are no cooking or minute or so.
Quick cook take about 5-10 minutes simmering
Old fashioned tend to be whole rolled oats that need soaking and cooking for 15 minutes or simmering for around 20 minutes or so.

I dragged this of the internet.. http://www.thekitchn.com/whats-the-difference-between-steel-cut-rolled-and-instant-oats-138355

Instant Oats
Also referred to as quick oats, instant oats are the most processed of the three oat varieties. They are pre-cooked, dried, and then rolled and pressed slightly thinner than rolled oats. They cook more quickly than steel-cut or rolled oats, but retain less of their texture, and often cook up mushy.

Rolled oats can be used in place of instant oats, although it will require more cook time, and the final dish will have more texture.
Rolled Oats
Also called old-fashioned or whole oats, rolled oats look like flat, irregularly round, slightly textured discs. When processed, the whole grains of oats are first steamed to make them soft and pliable, then pressed to flatten them.

Rolled oats cook faster than steel-cut oats, absorb more liquid, and hold their shape relatively well during cooking. In addition to be heated for a warm breakfast bowl, rolled oats are commonly used in granola bars, cookies, muffins, and other baked goods.

Instant oats can be used in place of rolled oats, although the cook time will be much less, and the final dish will not have as much texture.
Steel-Cut Oats
Also referred to as Irish or Scottish oats, this variety is made when the whole groat is cut into several pieces, rather than rolled. Steel-cut oats look almost like rice that's been cut into pieces. This variety takes the longest to cook, and has a toothsome, chewy texture that retains much of its shape even after cooking.

In addition to being used for porridge, steel-cut oats can also be used to make meatloaf and savory congee (a nice alternative to rice), or add texture to stuffing.

Because of its toothsome texture, rolled or instant oats don't make a good substitute for steel-cut oats.

No, aspartame is still the main sweetner in diet cokes.
As the stuff tastes so revolting I suspect they could put arsenic in it and no-one would notice. Still as it is quite good at freeing off seized nuts and bolts [and stripping paint - don't ever let a splash sit on the paintwork of your car] I suppose it has some good points.

Ordinary rolled oats here too.

No worries, one of these years we will all be fluent in Internet English.
Or at least we won't starve anywhere.
I thought that granola was made with toasted grains rather than raw grains.

Back
Top Bottom