How often do you make a dish without knowing how it's supposed to taste?

How often do you make something without knowing how it's supposed to taste?

• All the time - I check different recipes and then give it a go

Votes: 6 60.0%
  • Often - Sometimes, I'm either impatient or I can't find a good example nearby

Votes: 4 40.0%
  • Rarely - I often get inspired to make something after trying it somewhere first

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Never - Trying the food I'm going to make is part of my research

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
If I were concerned with authenticity, I would never have thought of posting this. But, as I'm starting to join in the Cookalongs, I realize that I will likely have never tried the foods that I'm trying to replicate:

I'd never had Beef Bourguignon before I made it for the last challenge
I had Goulash so long ago I forgot what it tasted like, but here I am making my own goulash

And, outside the cookalong, I made Tom Yam soup without ever having tried it - the problem here is that Thai restaurants around me always have Tom Yam (or Tom Yum, as most call it) as a dinner-only thing, so I've usually gotten hot and sour soup instead (which I've made many, many times). The good news here is that I tried the Tom Yam from a local Thai place that has excellent food, and I think mine (actually @Yorky's) was better. :)

I made gumbo before tasting how the experts in New Orleans do it, and mine was good, but it required some tweaks (with the roux) before I got it right. And, I do intend to try the other dishes from some expert to compare notes.

Since my main goal is always taste, I'm not bothered by this way of doing things: if I like it, that's usually good enough. But, I always do wonder how close I came to how it's supposed to taste.
I voted "Often" only because my recipes go in "spurts"...one week something new...next week repeats or old standbys....

I'm very reluctant to apply words like authentic and traditional to food. I have found that many dishes have variations even in the same region. Most of the recipes we try at home we haven't actually tried previously. When Karen first made bibimbap we had never tried it at a restaurant. We have since and the home version was spot on (based on the great reviews the restaurant had). Like others have mentioned, we tend to be "tweakers".

Back
Top Bottom