How often do you shop for food?

Pretty much every day. I try to buy as much as possible from small independent grocers, butchers and fishmongers, avoiding where possible anything that has been processed in a factory. The downside is that most things don't keep for more than a couple of days, so planning more than a day ahead is not really feasible. And I like food shopping

That is very admirable. I would like to do the same but work gets in the way and although I pick stuff up almost every day it isn't from small producers. More like Tesco Express!

I get an organic veg box (or meat, meat & veg, or salad box) plus milk, and eggs delivered weekly, and butter once a fortnight, and muesli once every three weeks. I occasionally top the order up with other stuff. I get staples, tinned food, pet food and other non-food items from the supermarket on average once every 3 weeks, or when I'm running out of tea, coffee, chocolate or cat food :laugh:

We were thinking of getting a veggie box delivered from Abel & Cole. Does it work out cheaper than buying it all in a supermarket?

This all depends on the tourism season and long weekend holidays, which are times I travel ( I am a tour operator / guide ) and am not home ..

I do all my fresh fruit and vegetables at the main La Mercat de La Boqueria Central Market of Barcelona in Las Ramblas in the Bari Goti Neighborhood.
I also buy my fish / shellfish or chicken and beef at same .. My father fishes as well, so when he heads up on his boat with my sons, & husband and father in law, they always bring me the fresh catches ..

I purchase my beans as well as the Boqueria.

Supermarkets: All paper goods, laundry detergent etcetra. varies, perhaps 1 time a month at El Corte Inglés Hyper Market ..
Rices and Fresh & Dry Italian Pasta: I purchase these at the El Corte Ingles or Makro, a wholesaler which our family is a member of as we are all in the hospitality industry in varying professional positions ..

Bread at a friend´s bakery & pastry arts academy and wines via the wineries direct and cheeses at Boqueria or at the local tiny bio organic farms direct ..

When I am home, I go to the Market every 2 or 3 days depending on our timetables.

Good question and have a lovely evening.

@alexander

Living in a giant Metrópolis. it is very common to purchase food enroute to one´s apartment ..

Have a nice weekend ..

That is very admirable. I would like to do the same but work gets in the way and although I pick stuff up almost every day it isn't from small producers. More like Tesco Express!
I guess I am fortunate in having a good choice of small independent stores within walking distance when I am in town. Main ingredients - meat, fish, veg I try to buy from the independents, staples - milk, wine, oils etc I get from Tesco, but again pretty much daily. It is just a habit I've got into.

While I have a small grocery store at the bottom of my neighborhood (about 3/4 of a mile away), they are rather pricey for the same items offered elsewhere. I tend to shop from three close stores. One is 8 miles away in one direction, the other two are in the opposite direction about 4 and 8 miles from home. I'll also venture to Aldi, which is almost 15 miles from home but can then include a second stop at the store only 4 miles away, since it's on my route to Aldi and back.

I do a main shop once a week, mostly to the store 8 miles away. If the 4-mile store has items on special that I want, I'll plan to stop there also, before or after, depending on what I'm buying and can it sit in the trunk (boot) safely while stopping at the 8-mile store. It's what works for us. If we lived more in the city, and I had various specialty grocers to shop from, I would probably shop every two or three days. Since I'm more Country Mouse than City Mouse, however, I guess I'll keep shopping the way I have been for years.

Here is my problem. Most of my food shopping I do on-line from Tesco and Ocado - so about two deliveries per week. Its great as I don't have to get in the car, load and unload trolleys etc. and it means I don't get too tempted to buy things I don't need. This is supplemented by a quick trip to Aldi if something runs out - or in the following case because Aldi is much cheaper for some items. Aldi is a few minutes walk away at the end of my road.

So, a few days I set off to buy 2 items from Aldi: Sliced bread for son and daughter's lunchbox sandwiches and dishwasher tablets (they are much much cheaper at Aldi). This is what I came back with:

20170914_221558.jpg

You will note that dishwasher tablets do not appear on the bill.

Ah, yes, but you DID think to buy wine, @morning glory! A lady after my own heart.

My little pop-ins to a grocery store turn out a lot like yours. I'll go in for "just one thing...", then end up buying a dozen items...and forget the ONE things!

We were thinking of getting a veggie box delivered from Abel & Cole. Does it work out cheaper than buying it all in a supermarket?
Not necessarily, but the food is much fresher and tastier. I've never tried them. My cousin tried both Abel & Cole and Riverford, and said that while Abel & Cole had more choice, Riverford's was nicer.

Here is my problem. Most of my food shopping I do on-line from Tesco and Ocado - so about two deliveries per week. Its great as I don't have to get in the car, load and unload trolleys etc. and it means I don't get too tempted to buy things I don't need. This is supplemented by a quick trip to Aldi if something runs out - or in the following case because Aldi is much cheaper for some items. Aldi is a few minutes walk away at the end of my road.

So, a few days I set off to buy 2 items from Aldi: Sliced bread for son and daughter's lunchbox sandwiches and dishwasher tablets (they are much much cheaper at Aldi). This is what I came back with:

View attachment 10399

You will note that dishwasher tablets do not appear on the bill.
That's one reason I take the dog with me when I go out shopping. It limits the number of shops I can go in, and so reduces the amount I spend. When shopping online I rarely buy anything that isn't on my favourites, although I often alter my Riverford order

That's one reason I take the dog with me when I go out shopping. It limits the number of shops I can go in, and so reduces the amount I spend. When shopping online I rarely buy anything that isn't on my favourites, although I often alter my Riverford order

I don't think I can take my dog into any shops around here. Do you have food shops that let your dog in?

Not necessarily, but the food is much fresher and tastier. I've never tried them. My cousin tried both Abel & Cole and Riverford, and said that while Abel & Cole had more choice, Riverford's was nicer.

I will check out Riverford to see. Thanks!

I don't think I can take my dog into any shops around here. Do you have food shops that let your dog in?
One or two will, otherwise I nip round to the garage to get petrol and grab a few bits and pieces at the same time. The Co-op one has a larger selection. The mutt of course is still in the car. On one occasion I was walking him, when I suddenly realised I needed something from our local (small) Sainsbury's - I gave his lead to the security guard on the door :D

Back
Top Bottom