How to cut broccoli

That looks like broccoli rabe to me. I will say I like broccoli stalk that has been peeled. Thanks JP! BTW, I watched with the sound turned off.

Last edited:
The guy says broccolini. It's not broccoli. Broccolini is much easier to cut evenly than broccoli. It also has a much different taste and is bitter tasting. I personally like it, though Craig isn't particularly fond of it.

The guy says broccolini. It's not broccoli. Broccolini is much easier to cut evenly than broccoli. It also has a much different taste and is bitter tasting. I personally like it, though Craig isn't particularly fond of it.

Ahhh I see.

Well I found no results for "broccolini" but I found a product at the supermarket listed as "tenderstem broccoli tips." It looks about the same.

I am not as concerned with the aesthetics of food as I am about as the taste and nutritional value.

Broccolini and broccoli rabe are the same thing. I doubt that "tenderstem broccoli tips" are the same thing because, as noted above, the taste is quite different.

I'm surprised you found no results for broccolini. There are 1000s if you use Google.

Last edited:
Broccolini and broccoli rabe are the same thing. I doubt that "tenderstem broccoli tips" are the same thing because, as noted above, the taste is quite different.

I'm surprised you found no results for broccolini. There are 1000s if you use Google.

Its not sold as broccolini in the UK - I think it is probably sold here as 'tenderstem brocolli'. I'll see if I can confirm that.

Re the stems of regular broccoli, I often use them, peeling off the rough bits on the outside (using a Y shaped peeler), cutting into fairly thin discs and then simmering until just tender. They are delicious! I think they might be a little too tough if simply stir fried. I'd certainly never throw away the stalks, they are packed with flavour and its a waste to bin them. They are good for making broccoli soup, too.

Broccolini and Tenderstem are the same:

Screen Shot 2018-09-13 at 15.08.13.png

Screen Shot 2018-09-13 at 15.06.46.png

Learn something new every day. I've heard chefs on TV say broccolini and broccoli rabe were the same thing.

When stir-frying, you want all your ingredients to be uniform in size, so the food cooks evenly. I've made beef and broccoli (not broccolini), etcetera. The stalks might take a little longer depending on desired doneness. I would start the longer cooking vegetables first. Chop the stalks into bite-size pieces and separate the florets, and you should be good to go

Last edited:
When stir-frying, you want all your ingredients to be uniform in size, so the food cooks evenly. I've made beef and broccoli (not broccolini), etcetera. The stalks might take a little longer depending on desired doneness. I would start the longer cooking vegetables first. Chop the stalks into bite-size pieces and separate the florets, and you should be good to go

The stalks need to be peeled before prepping them for stir-fry.

Back
Top Bottom