How to get labels off a jar (the easy way)

Dremel Versa..jpg

Finished polishing it by using THIS little polishing machine & the brown scouring pad!! :wink:

Dremel tools are awesome! I have 2 older cylindrical ones. The younger one has a cabled pen-like attachment, but I have yet to use it.

I think I've used the cutting discs (for slotting stripped screws in an emergency, and cutting other thin metals), and the polishing pads the most.

There are so many new Dremels around today.

Dremel tools are awesome! I have 2 older cylindrical ones. The younger one has a cabled pen-like attachment, but I have yet to use it.

I think I've used the cutting discs (for slotting stripped screws in an emergency, and cutting other thin metals), and the polishing pads the most.

There are so many new Dremels around today.

Yeah, I was looking for one of their pen-like machines. but I found this one at Home Depot. decided to get it & found it quite useful. :wink:

Funny you mentioned it. I ordered a hand standing mirror online. The label is so affixed, nothing will get it off. Tried soaking it a few times, using Scotch tape, and it still won't come off. I've been spraying it with glass cleaner over and over, and making a little progress. Wonder why they affix these labels so securely. If I'm not successful, will look through your methods, and give them a try. Thanks for sharing them here.

You welcome!

There ought to be SOMETHING that you can do. That stuff is really affixed to the cooker!! Don't give up the ghost! Keep trying until you've found a way to help get it off. :ohmy:

The mistake, I believe, was using the pressure cooker without making sure all that sticky residue from the label was off first. It would have been much easier to remove, instead of going through what you are now. I wish you well in trying to combat this annoying & aggravating problem. I know the feeling. Sucks big time!! :headshake:

Mineral spirits works great on just about any adhesive used on glass or metal. You have to let it soak through the paper though. It is also known as white spirits. It can't be used on plasiic.

Have you tried Carbon-Off? I'm sure it'll work if you just give it a try.

Mineral spirits and Carbon Off are mostly the same thing. The'yre both alkaline (aliphatic hydrocarbons) compumds that will "eat" glue.

I always put jars in the dishwasher, labels or not. Paper labels come off very quickly and often in one piece, and it's easy enough to fish them out of the filter in the bottom of the dishwasher. I usually peel off plastic labels but the goo left on the glass is a nightmare to remove - I dropped a jar once and it was the goo on the jar stopped it shattering all over the stone tiled floor. I've tried everything - still it comes off eventually. On the other hand I re-use jars all the time in the fridge, freezer or cupboard, and it's easy to stick new labels over the existing ones or remove them.

As for recycling glass, it was fine when Tesco had their recycling bins, but we have to take glass to the local glass recycling point, which in our case is down an alley way behind the local shops. I don't feel safe walking down there in daytime let alone in the evenings. To get to it by car means a long journey round the estate and park outside the garages at the back of the houses - just as bad, and of course there's all broken glass all over the road. However, although we have no kerbside collection for glass, the dustmen will take suitably wrapped broken glass :wink:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom