Home kook
Staff member
Local time
10:30 PM
Website
absolute0cooking.com
I haven't tried this myself, but the tests shown here are pretty convincing:

https://food52.com/blog/20014-replace-your-pam-spray-with-this-clever-diy

The "special grease" that they describe in the link above consists of equal parts vegetable oil, butter or margarine, and flour. Specifically, that means:

Special Grease = 1/2 cup vegetable oil + 1/2 cup butter or margarine + 1/2 cup flour

And, apparently, it works better than cooking spray, parchment paper, or any other combination of oil and butter. I will definitely give this a try next time I bake something.

Just make sure you get every nook and cranny covered.
I tried one similar. Messier than just greasing and flouring.
Personally I usually just use Pam cooking spray or Baker's Joy. I don't get any sticking.

Edited to add: Pam alternative makes no sense as Pam has never contained flour. She made a Baker's Joy alternative.
Second add: butter contains 20% water, margarine 48% water.

According to that blogger, it works better.
Now yes, it does work. The recipe is older than the internet. Does it work better than old fashioned greasing and flouring, not really. Better than parchment, depends on what you are making.

Do try and report back.

Last edited:
According to Katie H on Discuss Cooking, that formula works like a charm. She's used it for years and shared it on the forum so long ago I wrote it down on a post-it-note and stuck it on the inside of the door to my pantry. Have never made/used it, though, because I rarely bake anything that needs any more than a swipe of shortening with a cut-down basting brush.

Back
Top Bottom