How to make gnocchi

medtran49

Forum GOD!
Local time
2:36 AM
I don't really have a recipe and neither did the Italian nona that told me how to make them. She just described the general gist of it and then I practiced and also took in tips from other sources over the years but here goes.

You need to use a starchy potato. I use the large Russet baking potatoes, the ones that are about 4-1/2 to 5-1/2 inches long, like the ones you get for bakers in a good steakhouse. One of them is enough for an appy for 2 people. I used 2 for a recent meal for 2 and we only had enough leftovers for a small snack.

The last few batches of gnocchi I have made, I've only had older potatoes in the house that had just started to sprout. They have made the best gnocchi I've ever made.

DO NOT boil or steam the potatoes, not even in their jackets. Boiling/steaming adds water, which makes you need to add more flour, which leads to lead sinkers. Microwave or preferably bake the potatoes until done. You can even bake them on a salt bed to draw more moisture out. Use a starchy potato. The last batch was made with 1 very large baking potato since it was an experiment, besides the fact that I didn't want to make a lot anyway. It was a perfect amount for a good sized appy portion for 2. (this tutorial was written at a different time, last batch I actually made, which is when the pictures were taken, was from 2 large potatoes)

Peel and rice the potato(es) while still nice and warm but not so hot you can't handle. Don't let them cool to room temp or put in fridge. They will get gummy. Add salt generously. White or black pepper too if you want, even a pinch of nutmeg. Toss (use hands) with the riced potatoes.

Most recipes call for whole eggs at this point. What I've discovered is that using mostly egg white, with just a little yolk mixed in seems to make them lighter. So, with just the 1 large egg for the 1 potato the other night, I broke egg into a small bowl, whipped the egg white w/o breaking the yolk until the white was well broken up, then barely broke the yolk and mixed about half of it in. Poured egg (minus the rest of the yolk) in with the riced potatoes and gently mixed.

37240-albums1042-picture6512.jpg

You can use cake flour. Cake flour won't form gluten (which leads to toughness) like regular flour will. I have been using regular flour though lately because I keep forgetting to buy cake flour. Just lighten it by scooping up and letting fall back down or putting it thru a sifter or wire strainer. Started with about 1/3 cup and gently mixed (adding a bit of flour as needed) until I got a fairly soft, very slightly sticky, smooth dough, then kneaded a couple of times on a lightly floured board. DO NOT overwork the mix, handle it as gently as possible. In the picture below, you can see the outside of the dough is smooth but the inside is soft and rough.

37240-albums1042-picture6511.jpg

Pinch off a good amount (I did about thirds with the large baker) and roll on a lightly floured board into a log about an inch thick. Cut off about inch long pieces.

37240-albums1042-picture6510.jpg

You can either leave the pieces as is or roll them on a gnocchi board or off the back of a fork to make a little indention on the opposite side and riged marks on the other. Rolling them off the fork (or using a gnocchi board) gives more surface area to cook faster plus more area for sauce to cling.

37240-albums1042-picture6509.jpg

37240-albums1042-picture6508.jpg

37240-albums1042-picture6507.jpg

37240-albums1042-picture6506.jpg

As you can see, the forked gnocchi have wider and deeper spaced grooves, while the gnocchi boarded ones are a bit finer but they both still curve slightly and have an indention on the bottom side from your finger.
Place the gnocchi into medium boiling, heavily salted water. Don't crowd the pan, think single layer. I let about half of them float and then start scooping into a colander to drain. Don't let them sit in the water and cook after floating, they will absorb water and become heavy. Sometimes you have to gently swirl the water with a spoon if they are being stubborn about floating after 2-3 minutes. I usually give the colander a bit of a shake to make sure all the water is off after I drop in each batch. Cook gnocchi in batches until all are done then proceed on with your recipe.

It took me several tries when I first started making these before I managed not to make lead sinkers or close to them. You'll want to add more flour. DON'T. You need to get a feel for the dough so that you don't have gnocchi that come apart when boiled or lead sinkers. Start small and get a feel for the dough. 1 potato and some flour won't break the bank in money or your time if it flops. You can always pinch a piece off, shape it and cook it to see if it will fall apart as you are adding in flour while you are learning.

Ways to use, and there are many, many more than this list.

Place in a buttered oven safe dish, top with a red sauce, bake for 10-15 minutes to warm thru, top with cheese, return to oven to melt/slightly brown cheese.

Gnocchi with sage butter. While you are making the dough, place about 3/4 stick unsalted butter in a sauté pan with some sage leaves, torn in large pieces or left whole if small leaves, and let gently simmer on low for a couple of minutes, then pull off heat to infuse the butter. Add S and P. When you are ready to finish the dish, remove the sage pieces from the butter (they'll get burned and nasty if you don't) and turn heat to just over medium. Add in gnocchi and saute to get them to just a light golden brown on each side. When you turn them over make a little spot and throw in some sage leaves that have been chiffonaded. When both sides are brown, remove gnocchi to serving dishes and drizzle some of the browned butter (be careful and watch so it doesn't burn and become blackened butter) and some of the freshly sautéed sage leaves. Top with parm cheese if desired. We tried them with and w/o parm. They were good w/o, but parm added a whole nother taste level so go with your tastes.

I've been thinking about doing an alla vodka sauce with pancetta with gnocchi instead of pasta but haven't done it yet. On my to do list.

In Italy we boil the potstoes with the peel :wink:
in what proportion were potatoes and flour? Normally I use 300 grams of flour for one kilo of potatoes and it is correct 1 egg white helps!

I have the amounts in my directions. I don't use a fixed amount of flour due to humidity and different levels of starch in the potatoes.

The older Italian lady who first told me how to make these over 20 years ago always baked hers because boiling (or steaming) even unpeeled adds moisture to the potatoes, which means you have to add more flour, which means lead sinkers. Her gnocchi were like little clouds they were so light.

I have the amounts in my directions. I don't use a fixed amount of flour due to humidity and different levels of starch in the potatoes.

The older Italian lady who first told me how to make these over 20 years ago always baked hers because boiling (or steaming) even unpeeled adds moisture to the potatoes, which means you have to add more flour, which means lead sinkers. Her gnocchi were like little clouds they were so light.
Of course it depends on the potatoes but believe me, in Italy nobody cooks the potatoes in the oven to make gnocchi

Of course it depends on the potatoes but believe me, in Italy nobody cooks the potatoes in the oven to make gnocchi

Well apparently they do because this lady hadn't been in the U.S. very long at the time and she was in her late 60s or 70s then.

Thank you for posting this @medtran49 - great series of images. Its rather co-oncidental that you are using the gnocchi board - I saw a Chef on TV a few weeks ago doing this and she said use a butter pat (which is virtually the same), so I ordered one intending to use this method!

I've seen lots of chefs recommend baking the potatoes - mainly because it helps to get them drier, I think, which is what really matters here.

You may find this article of interest in general - https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2013/jul/10/how-to-make-the-perfect-gnocchi

She also mentions the issue of using eggs or not:

I've been saving the most contentious issue until almost last. As the Rome-based blog Rachel Eats puts it, with gnocchi, "to add eggs or not to add eggs: that is the question". Del Conte says that, "broadly speaking, gnocchi with eggs are made in Veneto", while in Piedmont they don't approve. Hazan, born in Emilia-Romagna, is very much in the west-coast camp, announcing that eggs are not a traditional ingredient, but a crutch to make up for an inferior potato – or indeed, an inferior chef. Her recipe uses only potato, flour and seasoning, as does Del Conte's. I'm proud to say that they held together fine – but perhaps it's my palate that's inferior, because I preferred the more robust egg-bound versions produced by Locatelli, Hartnett and Ferrigno. They are also, and perhaps not coincidentally, far easier to make.

In Italy we boil the potstoes with the peel

My dad (born in northern Italia) taught me this way. I hated peeling them when they were hot, so I started par-boiling them after peeling. But, will try baking or microwaving some time.

@medtran49: phenomenal instructors. It’s like a cooking class. I will definitely try a higher proportion of egg whites.

Here are 2 additional things I do at the end:

1. Immerse gnocchi immediately in ice water after cooking. I found that this stops the cooking process, which keeps the gnocchi from getting mushy.

2. If I’m not going to have it immediately, I put a little bit of olive oil on the gnocchi for storage in the refrigerator. This keeps them from sticking together.

By the way, I’m not sure how you pronounce it, but I’ve heard people on TV shows say it as NYO-kee but my dad said NYAW-kee. Sorry, Bobby Flay, but I’m saying it the way the guy from Italy says it.

E4449754-B19E-4AD2-8BBD-EE1808BB9B24.jpeg
Oh great baked potato gnocchi guru: I need your guidance. I decided to try making gnocchi by baking the potatoes. And, since I can never do things the easy way, I decided to also bake rutabagas. I cut them in chunks, put some oil on them with a sprinkle of rosemary, and started baking them.

Can the corner, that’s garlic and oil, which I roasted while the chunks cooked.

I checked in 20 minute increments. After an hour, the potatoes were starting to soften up a little bit. After an hour and a half, the rutabagas were starting to soften up a bit too.

But, now, I have another problem. Everything is so dry, but I can’t put anything through a ricer. I’m probably going to have to throw the whole thing out and start over again. Since you didn’t provide any specifics on how to bake the potato, I’m guessing I did something wrong here. Cooking them in smaller pieces should’ve made them cook faster, but it didn’t.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom