Recipe How to make your own 'Marmite'

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
10:31 PM
Marmite is the current ingredient for the CookingBites Recipe Challenge. Fancy making your own? This recipe requires dedication...
Recipe from: Blogger Ms Marmite from http://www.mirror.co.uk/lifestyle/how-make-your-marmite-9038012

Ingredients

• A litre of Brewer's yeast (top fermentation from a brewery)
  • A little sea salt
  • 1 onion, diced
  • 2 carrots, diced
  • 1 turnip, diced
  • 1/2 celery stick, diced

Method
1) Put a litre of brewer's yeast with a little salt, in a bain-marie. Simmer at blood heat, 30 to 40 ºc for ten hours or overnight.

2) Then simmer this mixture at 50 to 60 º c for two to three hours.

3) Boil at low temperature 90ºc for half-an-hour. (In the factory they have a special machine for this, or you could ascend a mountain of 10,000ft, to achieve low altitude boiling)

4) Filter though coffee papers or a sieve and cheesecloth.

5) Let it cool for a day or so. It separates further.

6) Filter again.

7) You then want to convert it to a paste. This is best achieved by putting it in a large flat pan and simmering. On an Aga, you can simply leave the pan on the lid for a few hours. Keep an eye on the mixture.

8) Meanwhile boil up all the vegetables until they are cooked. Strain off the liquid and incorporate into the Marmite paste.

9) Let the mixture reduce into a Marmite like texture. Do not allow it to burn.

According to Ms Marmite, who cites the factory, "You do not want to develop caramel notes". The entire process takes about ten days. Better get cooking.

Last edited:
I'm somewhat confused about how much brewer's yeast I need. Not that I am about to take this on.

I'll go back and check source. I think I just copied it over.. not that I think anyone is likely to make it! Marmite seems to be one of those cases where its really not worth making your own. A bit like Thai fish sauce.

Marmite is a protected trade name. What ever you make, it can't be called Marmite.

A bit like Thai fish sauce.

Thai fish sauce is about 5 bob a litre here and there are 57 varieties at least! And each variety has a supermarket shelf to itself.

We once asked for tinned tomatoes. The assistant said "we have some in the back" and proceeded to obtain 4 tins for me. My wife asked why they were not on the shelves. "There's not enough room" was the response. "There would be if you moved a few of those 10,000 bottles of bloody fish sauce!" I retorted.

Marmite is a protected trade name. What ever you make, it can't be called Marmite.
Probably nothing to stop you calling it that unless you try to sell it or market it under that name. I changed the title of the thread to put it in inverted commas.

Back
Top Bottom