Mentioning a member in a post

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
9:30 AM
If you want to mention another member in a post, adding a live link is a good idea. Not only does it save you typing out their whole name but they will get an alert message - so they will know you have mentioned them. All you have to do is type '@' followed by the first 3 letters of their name. Then you should see their icon and name appear. Like this:
Click on their icon or the first three letters of their name and the live link to their name should automatically appear. Like this:
When you then send your post, their name will appear like this:

SatNavSaysStraightOn

This is slightly different to the old system which kept the @ at the start of the name and could be a little off putting. The ampersand is now dropped once the system recognises that you are mentioning a member by their member name.

One important thing to note is that if you type the whole member name in yourself and misspell it, the member will not get the alert that they have been mentioned. So if, after you have posted your reply, the @ is still there, then the member will not have received the mention like this @Satnavsaystraighton. This has failed because SNSSO's username is misspelt.

So it is best to only type in the first 3-4 letters and let the system do the rest like this.

1568953966593.png

Last edited by a moderator:
So I will get to see an alert that tells me that another member mentioned me in such and such a thread.

1568953146241.png

Clicking on that alert will take me to the post where my member name was mentioned.

1568953214809.png

As you can see, my member name is in green. If it is not green, but black, I won't get the alert saying I was mentioned... (but you can't just colour the name green, sorry.)

Last edited:
I'll add one important little thing here. Some of us also use abbreviations for our member names like @morning glory being MG and myself @SatNavSaysStraightOn being SNSSO. If you use our abbreviated names, we won't get an alert saying you mentioned us, so you are relying on us reading that post to know we were mentioned... so it is better to use the @ sign and the first three letters.

When you have typed @ and the first 3 letters, if the member name you want is the only one in the list, or is the top of the list (so highlighted), you can just press enter or return on the keyboard and the system will select it automatically for you. That makes my member name slightly easier to use because you don't have to type it out in full.

Back
Top Bottom