How to prepare thin denver steaks?

YatoGami

Local time
4:49 AM
I recently got my hands on a few beautiful Australian wagyu denver steaks, they are quite thin, at around 1/4 inch.
I don't want to screw them up, and I want to prepare them perfectly since they cost an arm and a leg, and I'd feel really bad if I screw them up.

Currently, I'm thinking of just going simple.
Ripping hot pan, as hot as I can get it, sear for 2 minutes on each side and get a nice crust.
I'm torn between butter basting them afterwards or not. They are very thin and would probably be well done if I basted them for even just 1 minute.

Also, I have quite a bit of goose liver (Not everyone's into it, but here it's considered a delicacy.) It's very fatty, and I will cook a bit of it up for my sister.
Instead of using oil, Should I rub the goose oil from the liver on the steak?

With steaks that thin, I'd think about a minute each side in a screaming hot skillet would be fine. I'd probably make a quick flavored butter (garlic and chive, perhaps?) and as soon as I pulled the steaks out to rest for a few minutes, I'd plop a knob of that on them.

Enjoy!

I totally agree with TastyReuben regarding cook time. I usually don't oil steaks before cooking - just salt and black pepper for me - but that's with thick, fatty steaks. Wagyu will be gloriously fatty, but the issue here is sticking to the pan. You don't want these to cook longer than necessary; the goose oil will certainly prevent that. I'd season it with a thin layer of oil, salt, and pepper, half an hour before cooking, and let it sit at room temperature during that time.

Back
Top Bottom