How willing are you to experiment with food from other cultures?

@morning glory and @SatNavSaysStraightOn,
You both gave me a thought.
I went to a funeral and luncheon a few years ago. I felt so sorry for 2 of the people there. The luncheon was put on by the Church of Christ that the family went too. The youngest daughter and her boyfriend are vegans. The poor things about starved. Even the vegetables had either animal fat or dairy.
Apparently there is some unwritten law that if you go to a Baptist or C of C luncheon or dinner, all foods must be very rich.

@SatNavSaysStraightOn,
You gave me a laugh as I was wondering why someone would put a freezer in an outside toilet.
An outhouse here is a very small building with one, two or even you are really fancy 3 holes cut in a bench. They don't smell real good and they have no electricity or water. Army word would be latrine.

@morning glory and @SatNavSaysStraightOn,
You both gave me a thought.
I went to a funeral and luncheon a few years ago. I felt so sorry for 2 of the people there. The luncheon was put on by the Church of Christ that the family went too. The youngest daughter and her boyfriend are vegans. The poor things about starved. Even the vegetables had either animal fat or dairy.
Apparently there is some unwritten law that if you go to a Baptist or C of C luncheon or dinner, all foods must be very rich.

@SatNavSaysStraightOn,
You gave me a laugh as I was wondering why someone would put a freezer in an outside toilet.
An outhouse here is a very small building with one, two or even you are really fancy 3 holes cut in a bench. They don't smell real good and they have no electricity or water. Army word would be latrine.

I always make sure we have had a snack or something similar before we go anywhere for the first time, unless we have rung them in advance, when it comes to eating. The only exception, obviously being a vegan restaurant or café. We will always also ensure that there is something in the car that we can eat (as a precaution) and if necessary and it has been, it comes out and we sit and eat it in front of everyone. If it is at someone's home, it can be something that gets cooked, otherwise it will be something like a DIY wrap in the car. I can't miss meals because of a medical condition.

At my grandfather's funeral however, the caterers were appalled that my own family had not informed them that a) I was in a wheelchair and needed the disabled bay reserving (it had been taken by someone not needing it or with a blue badge (disabled badge), and b) that I was vegetarian allergic to dairy so pretty much needed a vegan diet. Even their bread had dairy in it. So someone actually went out and purchased something whilst another made up a batch of chips, found some mayonnaise for me (dairy free) and also raided their deep freeze and came up with a (dairy free) sorbet for me. (Sorbet can very often have dairy in it - apparently it needs to be creamier!)

I grew up with an 'outhouse' it was called an outside toilet. We would literally have to go downstairs, out of the kitchen door and immediately on the right were 3 black doors, all the same width apart. Get the wrong one and you got either the wood pile or the coal shed, the correct one, you got the only toilet in the place (I'm in my early 40s!). Many places I have lived in have had functional outside toilet. (minus a roof before you ask and it is an outdoor or open air toilet here!). We are now in that house, have yet to purchase a freezer, but we do have 2 toilets. One in the house and one in an outbuilding. There is also a dunny and by the laundry room door there is what is best described as an E shape built in brick, bucket height minus seats now, but you only have to guess as to its original use. The laundry room was built on in 1997. The strange E remains intact but clean. The dunny has no roof any more, but is basically a wooden bench in a very small wooden building, with a toilet seat (I kid not) fitted into the wooden slats, and the original metal bucket with lid are alongside it - clean. I understand from having met one of the children who grew up here (he called by the first week we were here to show his kids where he grew up whilst they were on holiday) that it was emptied once a week. It is not hard to guess where.

I always make sure we have had a snack or something similar before we go anywhere for the first time, unless we have rung them in advance, when it comes to eating. The only exception, obviously being a vegan restaurant or café. We will always also ensure that there is something in the car that we can eat (as a precaution) and if necessary and it has been, it comes out and we sit and eat it in front of everyone. If it is at someone's home, it can be something that gets cooked, otherwise it will be something like a DIY wrap in the car. I can't miss meals because of a medical condition.

At my grandfather's funeral however, the caterers were appalled that my own family had not informed them that a) I was in a wheelchair and needed the disabled bay reserving (it had been taken by someone not needing it or with a blue badge (disabled badge), and b) that I was vegetarian allergic to dairy so pretty much needed a vegan diet. Even their bread had dairy in it. So someone actually went out and purchased something whilst another made up a batch of chips, found some mayonnaise for me (dairy free) and also raided their deep freeze and came up with a (dairy free) sorbet for me. (Sorbet can very often have dairy in it - apparently it needs to be creamier!)

I grew up with an 'outhouse' it was called an outside toilet. We would literally have to go downstairs, out of the kitchen door and immediately on the right were 3 black doors, all the same width apart. Get the wrong one and you got either the wood pile or the coal shed, the correct one, you got the only toilet in the place (I'm in my early 40s!). Many places I have lived in have had functional outside toilet. (minus a roof before you ask and it is an outdoor or open air toilet here!). We are now in that house, have yet to purchase a freezer, but we do have 2 toilets. One in the house and one in an outbuilding. There is also a dunny and by the laundry room door there is what is best described as an E shape built in brick, bucket height minus seats now, but you only have to guess as to its original use. The laundry room was built on in 1997. The strange E remains intact but clean. The dunny has no roof any more, but is basically a wooden bench in a very small wooden building, with a toilet seat (I kid not) fitted into the wooden slats, and the original metal bucket with lid are alongside it - clean. I understand from having met one of the children who grew up here (he called by the first week we were here to show his kids where he grew up whilst they were on holiday) that it was emptied once a week. It is not hard to guess where.

I am pretty sure the vegans ate before the funeral.

I did not know you were in a wheelchair.

I did not know you were in a wheelchair.
I'm not totally paralysed or anything like that. I can walk but not normally. But I can't twist and turn and sometimes/often fall. In November 2014 I put the phone down and turned to walk away. A disc in my back ruptured catastrophically (in my surgeon's words) and that was it. I lost 90% of feeling and movement in my right leg. Surgery 5 weeks later helped considerably but there was never going to be a full recovery. I needed additional surgery in Feb 2015, and May 2015 and ended up with my spine being fused. I'm better that I was. I have recovered around 80% of the movement and feeling in my right leg but it needs 8hrly meds to keep my leg from spasming constantly and I now live on morphine to keep the pain from both my leg and my spine under some control. Sadly I fall periodically as well, including last Thursday which was a very bad fall and has left me pretty much housebound again sadly. Its going to be several weeks before I will be well enough to leave my home again. I can use crutches, but it also hurts considerably and I am slow. I can't sit on normal seats, so the wheelchair is often needed and pretty much whenever we need to go out I'm in the wheelchair. I'm considerably better than I was, but will never make a full recover sadly. It is just the way it is. It turns out the base of my spine did not form correctly in the womb. We never knew. I have been very fortunate. I have attempted to cycle around the world, I have travelled well and we have had 2 opportunities of a life time which we have taken - one of which has us in Australia right now, I can't complain (other than when I'm in intense pain.

I knew you fell last week. Is your knee feeling better?
Thanks for the information.
One of my cousins was totally wheelchair bound. Ironically from a bicycle-van collision.

I knew you fell last week. Is your knee feeling better?
Thanks for the information.
One of my cousins was totally wheelchair bound. Ironically from a bicycle-van collision.
My knee is looking better. It is more sore but that is the bruising which is extensive and very dark purple. The wound is healing nicely, but the scar is going to be massive.
Sadly my ribs are another matter but at least my arm is looking a touch better, thank you.

Back
Top Bottom