Recipe Hungarian Gulyás / Goulash By: Lydia Bastianich

Francesca

Local time
10:02 PM
This ancient dish dates back to the 9th Century and the Hungarian Word, Gulyás or Goulash in English, signifies "Herders or Shepherds"..

It was not until the mid 16th century, that the herders added Paprika to the dish or potatoes.

I have chosen to prepare Chef Bastianich´s récipe for two reasons. Firstly, because I have had the priviledge of having the renowned stew at her Manhattan Michelin Restaurant and secondly, because she had served it at the Vatican, to Pope Benedict XVI .. who greatly admired Chef, Author Bastianich and went to Manhattan to dine at her restaurant ..

Here is her récipe which does not include potatoes as it is served on a bed of home made Spatzel or Pappardelle Pasta as in Trentino Alto Adige and Friuli in north Eastern Italy ..

Hungarian Gulyças / Goulash By: Lydia Bastianich .. Error in posting the photograph. Wrong photo uploaded .. (Mod Edit: photo removed)

1 kilo of boneless beef round chunks sliced 1 and 1/2 inches each chunk
2 tsps of coarse salt or sea salt
1 Tsp dried oregano
2 sprigs fresh Rosemary herb
1 / 3 cup Italian Extra Virgin Olive Oil
3 Large Onions of choice sliced into wedges
2 tsps. Hungarian Paprika
3 cups of Water or if you prefer, home made beef broth from beef stock but wáter is traditional in this récipe.
1 tablsp bio / organic all purpose flour
4 tablesps. of San Marzano Tomato Paste

Instructions:
1) Pour the Italian Evoo into a large Deep saucepan and heat on low to médium flame.
2) Place the onion wedges into the Hot Evoo ..
3) Sauté the onion wedges with 1 / 2 tsp of salt, oregano and the paprika ..
4) Now put in the beef round chunks and heat until the the beef begins to reléase their juices ..
5) Check to make sure the pan liquids are beginning to bubble and the onions are melting ..
6) This process takes approx 25 - 30 minutes on a very low slow flame now ..
7) Partially cover the sauce pan during this process.
8) Now add 3 cups of wáter and simmer on low slow flame and adjust salt ..
9) Whisk in the flour and eliminate lumps ..
10) Now whisk in the tomato paste and eliminate lumps and whisk until sauce is velvety smooth ..
11) Pour all the ingredients into a large sauce pan or a Dutch Casserole for stove top ..
12) Simmer covered until the meat is tender, approx 40 minutes ..
13) Season to taste ..
14) Serve on a bed of Spaetzel or Pappardelli thick ribbon pasta noodles ..

Serve with a Hungarian Cucumber Salad .. and a glass of oak aged room temperature Italian Red Wine From Trentino Alto Adige ..

Enjoy. Photograph to follow ..

Last edited by a moderator:
I am interested in using Spatzel instead of potato - I mentioned using pasta in the top post for the Cookalong here. One thing which occurred to me about this recipe was the large amount of meat in relation to spices. The recipe states 2 kilos of beef and only 2 tsp pf paprika. I'm no expert where goulash is concerned but this seems so little paprika v. beef. 2 kilos of beef will feed 10 to 12 people so this is a recipe catering for a lots of people. Yet only 2 tsps of paprika? I just thought there might be a typo...

This ancient dish dates back to the 9th Century and the Hungarian Word, Gulyás or Goulash in English, signifies "Herders or Shepherds"..

It was not until the mid 16th century, that the herders added Paprika to the dish or potatoes.

I have chosen to prepare Chef Bastianich´s récipe for two reasons. Firstly, because I have had the priviledge of having the renowned stew at her Manhattan Michelin Restaurant and secondly, because she had served it at the Vatican, to Pope Benedict XVI .. who greatly admired Chef, Author Bastianich and went to Manhattan to dine at her restaurant ..

Here is her récipe which does not include potatoes as it is served on a bed of home made Spatzel or Pappardelle Pasta as in Trentino Alto Adige and Friuli in north Eastern Italy ..

Hungarian Gulyças / Goulash By: Lydia Bastianich ..

2 kilos of boneless beef round chunks sliced 1 and 1/2 inches each chunk
1 Tsp dried oregano
3 cups of Water or if you prefer, home made beef broth from beef stock but wáter is traditional in this récipe.
1 tablsep bio / organic all purpose flour

Instructions:
1) Pour the Italian Evoo into a large Deep saucepan and heat on low to médium flame.
4) Now put in the beef round chunks and heat until the the beef begins to reléase their juices ..
5) Check to make sure the pan liquids are beginning to bubble and the onions are melting ..
10) Now whisk in the tomato paste and eliminate lumps and whisk until sauce is velvety smooth ..
11) Pour all the ingredients into a large sauce pan or a Dutch Casserole for stove top ..
13) Season to taste ..

Serve with a Hungarian Cucumber Salad .. and a glass of oak aged room temperature Italian Red Wine From Trentino Alto Adige ..

Am I missing something here? I am struggling to visualise the size and shape of a pan that will hold 2kg of beef, three large onions, and then allow you to whisk in flour without lumps after adding a mere three cups of water. Have I misunderstood the recipe?

I am interested in using Spatzel instead of potato - I mentioned using pasta in the top post for the Cookalong here. One thing which occurred to me about this recipe was the large amount of meat in relation to spices. The recipe states 2 kilos of beef and only 2 tsp pf paprika. I'm no expert where goulash is concerned but this seems so little paprika v. beef. 2 kilos of beef will feed 10 to 12 people so this is a recipe catering for a lots of people. Yet only 2 tsps of paprika? I just thought there might be a typo...

@morning glory

Yes, it was 2 pounds = 1 kilo !

Corrected .. A true gem of a récipe ..

I am going to use Pappardelle ribbon pasta noodles as Spatezel is like hunting for a needle in a haystack here ..

Have a nice day ..

Last edited:
Am I missing something here? I am struggling to visualise the size and shape of a pan that will hold 2kg of beef, three large onions, and then allow you to whisk in flour without lumps after adding a mere three cups of water. Have I misunderstood the recipe?

@epicuric

Corrected .. It was 2 pounds ! It is 1 kilo of meat ..

@ElizabethB

As I copied the récipe from her cookbook, it is 2 pounds which is 1 kilo .. Not 2 kilos !
Lovely récipe and very simple to prepare ..

I am interested in using Spatzel instead of potato - I mentioned using pasta in the top post for the Cookalong here.
This is one of the many areas of difference in interpretation: I've also seen spaetzle, which sounds terrific; I'd guess that's something that originated closer to the Austrian part of the Austro-Hungarian empire. There's also quite a divide between people who think it should be served as-is, and others who pour it over pasta, spaetzle, or even rice.

I could live on Spätzle. It was the local speciality where I lived in Germany (near Stuttgart - part of Swabia, or Schwaben). I loved the food, but never got my head round the language (Schwäbisch) even though I worked at a translating agency :laugh:

@Francesca Try making your own - it's only noodles, after all :)

@Elawin

I do not have time as I have a full time job, travelling quite often, plus a husband & family and so I buy my Bio Pappardelle & Pastas & Carnaroli Rice from an Italian Distributor who Works with our Company.

Spättzle, I shall pass on this .. I prefer pasta ..

Have a nice day.

View attachment 11451
Photograph: My parents condominium ..

Hungarian Gulyças / Goulash By: Lydia Bastianich .. ( NOTE: The veggies added to the plate were only for my 2 grandsons as per their request ) ..

1 kilo of boneless beef round chunks sliced 1 and 1/2 inches each chunk
1 Tsp dried oregano
1 tablsp bio / organic all purpose flour

Instructions:
13) Season to taste ..

@ElizabethB & @morning glory

I did not really plate it .. It was a meal for my grandsons actually who love all the experiments in the kitchen of their great grand parents ( my parents ).

The Beef was exceptionally lovely and so so tender..

Unfortunately the pasta was a 1 minute overcooked but the kids licked the plates clean ! So, on this account it was a success.

Thanks ..

Need some help to enter it into the Challenge for Goulash .. Forgot how to get it on the Cooking Challenge Thread ..

Thanks ..

Spätzle are only made from eggs and flour with a bit of salt. No different really.

@Elawin

To me, they are as different as night and day " taste profile wise " ..

Nothing in my book can compare to Italian Bio Organiic Fresh or Dry Pasta ..

I find Spatzle a bit on the stodgy starchy side as it is not a staple in our diets ..

I prefer ribbon length pasta ( tagliatelli, linguini, pappardelli, fetuccine ) ..

Have a nice evening.

Last edited:
@Elawin

To me, they are as different as night and day " taste profile wise " ..

Nothing in my book can compare to Italian Bio Organiic Fresh or Dry Pasta ..

I find Spatzle a bit on the stodgy starchy side as it is not a staple in our diets ..

I prefer ribbon length pasta ( tagliatelli, linguini, pappardelli, fetuccine ) ..

Have a nice evening.
Whereas I find some pasta stodgy, especially when using dry pasta, but then Spätzle is a staple in my diet as much as rice and bread are. I often substitute German or Greek pasta for Italian pasta. We will just have to beg to differ!

This is one of the many areas of difference in interpretation: I've also seen spaetzle, which sounds terrific; I'd guess that's something that originated closer to the Austrian part of the Austro-Hungarian empire. There's also quite a divide between people who think it should be served as-is, and others who pour it over pasta, spaetzle, or even rice.

@The Late Night Gourmet

The Author of this récipe was born and raised in Friuli Giuliana and had lived in Trentino Alto Adige and Roma, before immigrating to Manhattan .. Spaetzle is common in this South Tryol, Italian side .. Where as, it is very common in Roma, to serve pasta, pappardelle .. Or thick ribbon pasta ..

It is subjective, and every one likes something else or does not like something ..

So, it is up to you and those you are serving ..

Have a nice evening ..

Spätzle is even more common in Schwaben (south Germany, around Stuttgart) where I lived. In fact with most meals you had only a choice of Spätzle or sautéed potatoes

Back
Top Bottom