Hypothetical question regarding retirement

I like the space - I admire their pride in their country and quite honestly I like their attitude. Big cities are the same all over the world but the USA has room for people to live somewhere else. Not a fan of Australia [ have relatives there but no] dislike Europe [but have considered India]. Finally I am Sick of being lied to by the UK government - when I started work [and for 30 years - until it was too late to do anything about it] I was paying into a pension that would pay out when I reached 65 suddenly that's not true - I was paying into a health plan that offered free dental care and free medical care - nope not now. I somehow doubt that a private company offering pension / medical insurance in the US would succeed with such a cavalier attitude.
Just one question. What type of weather would you like?

Just one question. What type of weather would you like?
As you appear to have seasons [we seem to have different temperatures of rain] not bothered. Although Alaska might be a bit chilly. Ho hum - As the chances of getting there now are zero it doesn't matter - 30 years ago a qualified nurse and an electrical/electronics guy might have done well - now it's just a memory that was.

As you appear to have seasons [we seem to have different temperatures of rain] not bothered. Although Alaska might be a bit chilly. Ho hum - As the chances of getting there now are zero it doesn't matter - 30 years ago a qualified nurse and an electrical/electronics guy might have done well - now it's just a memory that was.
My mom really doesn't have seasons. But she lives on the Gulf Coast.

I recall a television play, from some number of years ago, that told the story of a couple from Leeds who took their annual holiday in Blackpool. That’ll date when the story was set for you. The play starts as, upon retirement, they decide to go to live in Blackpool. And of course, what the play portrayed is just how much of a mistake that decision was.

Now, of course, that was just a fiction, but something intended, I think, to inform a discussion just like this one. As we have said, today, it is far from a rare decision for people from the UK to go to Spain upon retirement, and it certainly seems that a fair proportion make a success of it. But I wonder how many go through experiences similar to those portrayed in that television play. It is certainly a general principle in life that however idyllic somewhere might seem when you holiday there, the reality of actually living there is something completely different. Actually, getting perhaps a little too philosophical here, I would suggest that it is a general principle of the human experience that life cannot be a constant idyll. Any situation only seems idyllic precisely because it is rare and transient.

I think that is a good point you make - I'm in the enviable position of having retired. And I've been retired for 9 years now. I can't even comprehend how I ever worked the hours I did in a highly demanding job and had 4 kids... etc. One thing you realise when you stop is that you have to decide what to do next. Do you 'retire' which implies removing yourself and nodding off quietly somewhere (if you are lucky, in a lovely place you always dreamed of). I am very, very good at doing nothing, by the way. I can do it for days on end. But I also have an insatiable drive to make, create - which has translated itself into cooking and photography.

I would just say to anyone thinking of heading off abroad to retire - think about what you are going to do when you get there. If a good social life, nice climate and the local food is enough for you... forever... then go for it; that is, if you are lucky enough to be able to afford it. And lets be realistic here; there are so many folks who can't.

Last edited:
I would sell up and move to Italy in a heart beat but him indoors is a real home bod, so it will never happen.

I have always said I would retire and live by the see and even that's a no go from his perspective. 24 years to persuade him.....
The part of Boston I live in, used to be an island during Colonial days. Over the years it has been filled in so it is connected to the north of Boston. So no matter where you live, the sea is within walking distance. I couldn't survive if I didn't live near the sea. I am only one block from the Atlantic Ocean. I often hop on my scooter and just sit there looking and watching the waves break. And I can always tell when a storm is coming. My favorite time to watch the waves.

I think that is a good point you make - I'm in the enviable position of having retired. And I've been retired for 9 years now. I can't even comprehend how I ever worked the hours I did in a highly demanding job and had 4 kids... etc. One thing you realise when you stop is that you have to decide what to do next. Do you 'retire' which implies removing yourself and nodding off quietly somewhere (if you are lucky, in a lovely place you always dreamed of). I am very, very good at doing nothing, by the way. I can do it for days on end. But I also have an insatiable drive to make, create - which has translated itself into cooking and photography.

I would just say to anyone thinking of heading off abroad to retire - think about what you are going to do when you get there. If a good social life, nice climate and the local food is enough for you... forever... then go for it; that is, if you are lucky enough to be able to afford it. And lets be realistic here; there are so many folks who can't.
Costa Rica has a community of only Americans. And the cost of living there is so much more affordable. Would I go there? Never. For those who would rather stay in the U.S. they head for Florida. We call them Snowbirds. They are escaping the winter snow. Most of them return. Too far away from their kids and roaches everywhere. Another favorite place for Americans to go to is Arizona. In the summer the temps reach over 100ºF. 110º to 120ºF. Too dang hot for me. You never get to shut off the AC.

Now and again I watch the tv programme A Place In The Sun Summer Sun and this has raised a few questions and many conversations in our house regarding retirement. So out of curiosity I have decide to start this thread.

Ok, you have retired, health is good and you have a sensible amount of money to spend. Would you sell up and move to another country, if so where would you go and what type of property would you go for.

I've already done it. Retired from full time work at 51. Relocated to Asia where I had worked since '94, did a little consultancy work for decent money for a few years then gave up work completely at 60. Supervised the building of my own house in a remote part of Thailand and haven't really looked back.

Just to clarify, the land for the house cost me Bht 750,000.00 (about £11,000.00 at the time) for 1,600 sq m and the house cost me Bht 850,000.00 about
£13,000.00 at the time) - 110 sq m. Rates are zero but we pay about £2.50/m for water and just over £1.00/m for rubbish disposal. Electric is about £45.00/m when we have aircons running (4 - 5 months/year) but about £25.00/m in the cooler months. Diesel for the truck is 50p/litre.

To now live back in dear old England would be financially impossible for me.

The part of Boston I live in, used to be an island during Colonial days. Over the years it has been filled in so it is connected to the north of Boston. So no matter where you live, the sea is within walking distance. I couldn't survive if I didn't live near the sea. I am only one block from the Atlantic Ocean. I often hop on my scooter and just sit there looking and watching the waves break. And I can always tell when a storm is coming. My favorite time to watch the waves.
I'm envious! I can get to the coast in about a 30 minutes drive but would rather be able to walk!

My parents are basically doing this.
They still have their home in the UK, but have bought a retirement apartment is complex in Tenerife (town of) as well. They are there now. They spend most of the winter there, coming home to avoid the hotest months of the year. I don't think it will be too long before they won't come back to the UK.

I'm envious! I can get to the coast in about a 30 minutes drive but would rather be able to walk!

Unfortunately we are some 6 hours drive from our nearest coast. I would prefer it to be half that but I really would not want to live on the coast, i.e. where do you go for your holidays?

Costa Rica has a community of only Americans. And the cost of living there is so much more affordable. Would I go there? Never. For those who would rather stay in the U.S. they head for Florida. We call them Snowbirds. They are escaping the winter snow. Most of them return. Too far away from their kids and roaches everywhere. Another favorite place for Americans to go to is Arizona. In the summer the temps reach over 100ºF. 110º to 120ºF. Too dang hot for me. You never get to shut off the AC.

Only the folks from the Eastern half of the US go to Florida. As you mentioned, Westerners go to Arizona.

As far as a Snowbird goes, I'd be the opposite. I need my seasons. Summer in the tropics of Florida or farther South - swimming and fishing; Fall in the Northeast - leaf peeping, pumpkin and apple picking, and hunting; Winter in the snowy mountains, fur skifahren.

Spring is optional.

Last edited:
Winter in the snowy mountains, auf skihen gehen.

I don't think I could possibly go back to winters. The last winter I experienced was in Shanghai in 1998/9 and it was 5 degC at times. Bugger that for a game of snowmen.

Sorry, my German was rusty. I corrected it after your quote (and it technically still isn't correct)

But I love cold weather. The colder the better. The only way I can tolerate heat is if I can swim, or sit in front of an air conditioner with my tongue haning out like an old dog.

I used to go Winter backpacking in -15°C by myself because no one else would come along.

I had a Swedish American girlfriend years ago who thought I was cheating on her every time I went out for an overnight in the mountains by myself. So, I took her along on one particularly cold trip. Nearly -20°C that night. We stayed in a rickety old cabin where the wind just blew straight through. She spent most of the night huddled over the fireplace as I split wood and fed the fire.

At bedtime, after keeping her butt warm by the fire all night while I worked mine off for her comfort, she opened up both of our sleeping bags and zipped them together into one big bag.

As we climbed in, she got undressed and started to get frisky. I just turned over and mentioned that things can snap off in those kind of temperatures, so it was best just to sleep.

The only way I can tolerate heat is if I can swim, or sit in front of an air conditioner with my tongue haning out like an old dog.
I'm the same - although I don't much like extreme cold either. But given the choice I'd always go for cold rather than hot. After all if its cold you can put more clothes on, light a fire etc. If its hot, unless you stay indoors with air-con, there is not much you can do about it.

Back
Top Bottom