Hypothetical question regarding retirement

That is a very good question-where does it all come from? There has only ever been 2 of us yet we appear to have a crazy amount of stuff despite having regular clear-outs :o_o:

I bet I have more than you and @Karen W! :) My next job is chucking out clothes. Stuff has been hoarded since I was young and slim.:cry: I'm determined to be ruthless. :ninja:

...and shoes/boots. I must have 30 pairs or more. Well maybe more. I haven't counted. Its quite shocking considering that I only wear a few of them.

I can't see retirement as something that i would be able to do. I am sure social security will be defunct by the time i am near the age that it is suppose to start paying plus i have never had the income to afford much saving.

I really hope that Social Security still exists in 11 years or so when I plan to retire.

I've been able to pay the maximum amount into the system since I left college for my first job in 1985.. It would be nice to get all or at least most of that back. But you never know. It's supposed to run out of money right around the same time.

We recently found out that even though my wife contributed into Soc Sec for 21 years before she stopped working to be a stay at home mom, she will have to go back to work for 4 years before official retirement in order to collect anything.

The best advice that I was ever given was to contribute the maximum allowed every year into a 401k since I started working. It gets deducted, before tax, and before I see my paycheck, so it's like it never existed. For many years I never even looked at the account, but now, even if Soc Sec goes away, I'll be able to live on that.

I bet I have more than you and @Karen W! :) My next job is chucking out clothes. Stuff has been hoarded since I was young and slim.:cry: I'm determined to be ruthless. :ninja:

I wasn't going to say it but, I packed about 15 pairs of jeans in a box that I've never worn. At least now I have more room to buy things that currently fit. Do it! I would also like to paint before the holidays, but will see. I put my home up for sale before and the stress made me nauseous. Then there was also doing little odds and ends repairs, and making your home look unlived in LOL. It's a lot of work to relocate, move, or sell. Took a little break from cleaning things out, but can't decide if I should keep that ebelskiver maker, sewing machine I haven't used in decades, the Magic Bullet blender mixer. Decisions decisions. At least I know it goes to a worthy cause.

Last edited:
Funny you should say that. My parents bought this house brand new in the late 1960's, us 3 kids were raised here, I spent a brief period of time away but then my folks sold the house to us,so this has actually been my home for over 40 years.

I now own my parents home too...dad built the house in the 70's...i moved farther up the state but moved home when health problems arose and mom had mobility problems. Dad got sick passed from cancer and mom passed 3 years later from a different undiagnoised til just before she died cancer. I was given the house as i was the only sibling that didn't already have one of my own. I also got all the contents which i have been sifting thru in the last year an a half. So far one garage sale and many more needed to get rid of the stuff...i haven't even looked at mom holiday decor which occupies about 1/3 of the laundry room.

Btw...new with tag clothes sell well on poshmark.

I do the same - but my very grown up kids have at last moved out and its just me and partner in a 4 bed Victorian house. Its not a huge house but much bigger than we need. I really need to think about 'downsizing' if only to cut down on bills. But... before I can do that I need to do a mega de-clutter. And I do mean mega!
Oh man, good luck with that... I have started to do that a while ago but I can't throw anything away :hyper: makes me nervous.
I wish you luck for sure.

... and here is a conundrum. What to do with 'naughty' photographs - the days before selfies, so they are polaroids? Are they clutter? They are certainly mementos which can't be replaced. But I somehow don't really like the thought of whichever of the kids finally disposes of my belongings when I die coming across them. Not because I'm in the slightest bit prudish but I think it would be very strange for them!

... and here is a conundrum. What to do with 'naughty' photographs - the days before selfies, so they are polaroids? Are they clutter? They are certainly mementos which can't be replaced. But I somehow don't really like the thought of whichever of the kids finally disposes of my belongings when I die coming across them. Not because I'm in the slightest bit prudish but I think it would be very strange for them!

:eek:

:hyper:

:peekaboo:

:geek:
:pics:

:highfive:

If they are very naughty then maybe a mini bonfire, just in case.

Back
Top Bottom