Hypothetical question regarding retirement

Now and again I watch the tv programme A Place In The Sun Summer Sun and this has raised a few questions and many conversations in our house regarding retirement. So out of curiosity I have decide to start this thread.

Ok, you have retired, health is good and you have a sensible amount of money to spend. Would you sell up and move to another country, if so where would you go and what type of property would you go for.

Would I sell up? No.
Move to another country? Yes and no.

Retirement plan is a few years before retirement buy a 'posh' motorhome (RV). And then, once retired, spend a month or more at a time exploring. Keep the costs down by largely staying at aire de stationnements, stellplatzes etc. The cost for staying at these places is either free or minimal. They are also often set up in or near towns and villages as peeps who stay at the aires then spend some money in the town. They often have electrical hook up, water and waste facilities.
Not to be confused by motorway aires, people do stay on these but I wouldn't recommend it.

Would I sell up? No.

Retirement plan is a few years before retirement buy a 'posh' motorhome (RV). And then, once retired, spend a month or more at a time exploring. Keep the costs down by largely staying at aire de stationnements, stellplatzes etc. The cost for staying at these places is either free or minimal. They are also often set up in or near towns and villages as peeps who stay at the aires then spend some money in the town. They often have electrical hook up, water and waste facilities.
Not to be confused by motorway aires, people do stay on these but I wouldn't recommend it.

Sounds like a plan. I know nothing of the aire de stationnements, stellplatzes etc. Are these in Guernsey or in France? I really like the idea of a 'posh' motorhome!

Would I sell up? No.

My wife wants to buy a large RV when we retire, load up all of the pets, and drive all over America and Canada. I might even be able to talk her into driving all the way down to Costa Rica.

Someday. It's a nice dream.

Sounds like a plan. I know nothing of the aire de stationnements, stellplatzes etc. Are these in Guernsey or in France? I really like the idea of a 'posh' motorhome!

Almost the whole of Europe do them in one form or another, except the UK for some reason. However there are 'stop overs' or 'night stops' available in some places in the UK where you stay on a farm, pub or similar but you have to buy something from the farm shop, have a meal and a drink in the pub etc.

Some of the aires do get a bit crowded, you end up like sardines.

Some examples, https://www.visit-somme.com/aire-de-camping-car-la-ferme-de-picquigny/picquigny/airccpic0800000u

https://www.google.gg/maps/uv?hl=en...e-etape-camping-car-park04-300x300.jpg?x98107

Almost the whole of Europe do them in one form or another, except the UK for some reason. However there are 'stop overs' or 'night stops' available in some places in the UK where you stay on a farm, pub or similar but you have to buy something from the farm shop, have a meal and a drink in the pub etc.

Some of the aires do get a bit crowded, you end up like sardines.

Some examples, https://www.visit-somme.com/aire-de-camping-car-la-ferme-de-picquigny/picquigny/airccpic0800000u

https://www.google.gg/maps/uv?hl=en...e-etape-camping-car-park04-300x300.jpg?x98107

Thank you. I will check out the links as I really like the idea - although for me it would probably be a holiday rather than a retirement plan.

I dont know yet. Even though Im retired at young age I still keep in touch with my boss or the officer above me. Its one of those things like one min Im retired next min Im out saving world.

Back
Top Bottom