I did it, I made my first loaves of bread

I think she means with a rolling pin to help shape and get it to size, especially given her injuries.

I've had arthritis (showed up in x-rays) in my hands since my early 20s, but it has never been more than a nuisance from time to time when it would flare, until this year, when it decided to flare horribly. Been dropping things, can't make an entirely closed fist, swollen hands, etc. So I get why she rolls rather than using hands and fingers to shape. Elizabeth, if I had to choose between no fresh homemade bread or using the rolling pin and maybe having a loaf that is not quite as risen, besides having the pain and cramping in my hands that would be the aftermath of using them that much, I'd use the rolling pin every time.

Your bread looks lovely!

I have trouble kneading dough too (because of arthritis, in my case) but I use a bread maker to mix the dough up to the end of the first rise. Then I halve the dough (a large loaf is too big just for me) and knock it back gently. I place the dough on a sheet, fold in one edge up to the centre and press very gently, turn the dough a quarter turn and repeat (5 times in all). I do not use a rolling pin, and I don't use bread tins either. Then I tuck two opposite edges under to get the loaf shape, make 3 diagonal slashes in the top of the loaf, put it on a baking sheet and let it prove again. If there is any unmixed flour, I sprinkle it over the dough before knocking it back. Maybe punching it back is too harsh on its own, let alone doing it twice. I also cover the baking sheet with a tea towel and place it on the counter top above the oven while the oven is heating up.

I always use strong or extra strong flour (all white, or a mix of wholemeal and white) aka bread flour. I use either all water, or 100 ml whey plus water, or 100 ml whey plus a large egg plus water when making bread - so long as the total amount of liquid is the same. I never use milk for bread-making though. I did the first couple of times I made my own bread, but found the texture of bread was quite coarse and it used to go stale very quickly. In fact the only time I use milk in dough is when I make buns as the texture is quite different from bread, and I freeze all but the couple that I intend to eat the same day.

I use cold water in the bread-maker too, as it heats up for the first 5 minutes or so before starting to mix the dough, and I only use 1 teaspoon salt and 2 teaspoons sugar to 500 g flour with 25 g of butter and 7g easy-bake yeast (the type you can use for either hand-making or in a bread machine; same quantity for either method).

When the loaves are baked, I wrap them in a clean tea-towel and leave them until they are cool enough to put in my bread bin (a large plastic sweet container) or in the freezer. That way they get a nice crust.

P.S. I've given up on sourdough temporarily. I still use a kit rather than make my own starter, but it must be too cold in my kitchen this time of year to get it to prove properly even with the oven on (it's fine the rest of the year).

:thankyou: all for good advice. Final question - should I roll the dough or just shape the loaves by hand? I have many recipes that just shape loaves by hand - no tolling. Your advice based on your experience.

My only thoughts re the recipe - I don't use sugar (no need to if you are using dried yeast. I don't use milk (this makes for a softer, doughier texture). I always use bread flour. So - my really basic recipe is much simpler than the one you used (translating mine from kilos to cups):

4 cups (500g) bread flour
9g salt (seems a lot but it needs it)
7g packet of dried yeast
warm water
1 tbsp olive oil (optional)

Place flour in bowl with yeast and salt - mix in warm water (oil if using) until it comes together in a lump. Knead on a lightly oiled surface until it becomes smooth (I have no stand mixer). Shape and allow to rise. It can then be baked without a second rise if you want!

:thankyou: all for good advice. Final question - should I roll the dough or just shape the loaves by hand? I have many recipes that just shape loaves by hand - no tolling. Your advice based on your experience.

I've never come across rolling bread dough (unless making croissants or danish type pastry where layers are formed). Just shape it.

My basic bread recipe is almost exactly the same as @morning glory 's - the only difference is I don't weight the yeast and salt, I just use a teaspoon of each.

My method when using a stand mixer is: add the flour and most of the water. Mix briefly until just incorporated then cover and leave for about 20 minutes. Now its time to knead: add the yeast and once thats incorporated add the salt. Add extra water if needed. Then leave the machine kneading for at least 20 mins.

Leaving it at the begining apparently lets the natural sugars develop in the flour so your yeast gets an immediate boost. I can't remember where I read about this technique, but it does seem to help.

We have a dried yeast and an instant dried yeast, which reduces the time needed for rising.
shopping (1).jpeg

shopping.jpeg

The Rapid rise can also be found labeled as highly active or instant rise depending on packaging and brand. The second picture is what I'm calling instant yeast. It's actually hard for me to find fresh yeast as well.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom