I know Autumn has arrived because I cook.....

The Velvet Curtain

Forum GOD!
Local time
1:34 PM
Leicester: Where Britain keeps its crisps
Here in the UK, this weekend feels like Autumn is with us. We have had the first chilly nights, the leaves are starting to turn and fall, the central heating has been tested, and the sun isn't bothered about staying up late. In the kitchen too my thoughts have turned from salads and grills to broths and hearty food.

So it is time to cook my first beef stew and dumplings of the season, having not had it for seven or so months I am really looking forward to it. A big bowl of tender beef and soft root vegetables in a rich, thick gravy, all topped with pillowy suet dumplings. So comforting and warming, I can't wait.

So what is your hearty comfort food for the dark evenings?

Here in the UK, this weekend feels like Autumn is with us. We have had the first chilly nights, the leaves are starting to turn and fall, the central heating has been tested, and the sun isn't bothered about staying up late. In the kitchen too my thoughts have turned from salads and grills to broths and hearty food.

So it is time to cook my first beef stew and dumplings of the season, having not had it for seven or so months I am really looking forward to it. A big bowl of tender beef and soft root vegetables in a rich, thick gravy, all topped with pillowy suet dumplings. So comforting and warming, I can't wait.

So what is your hearty comfort food for the dark evenings?
Oh yummy yummy. I adore dumplings! If not beef stew I'd go for steak and kidney pudding. On the other hand I love hot hot spicy food, so a good curry with Scotch Bonnets.

Our "lighting up times" only vary within 30 minutes all year around so all our evenings are dark. As far as cold goes, I've known it drop to almost 12 degC some nights so then it's time for chilli con carne, beef stew or beef hotpot.

Hotpot_zpsasva8xl8.jpg

Here in the UK, this weekend feels like Autumn is with us. We have had the first chilly nights, the leaves are starting to turn and fall
We are due another week of frosts here yet again... It's meant to be Spring here. Things are starting to grow though, honest. I have had to earth up the potatoes just this weekend (first time), and I have spotted that the peas have germinated and are starting to grow.

I know winter is coming to an end because it is now the peak season for oranges and various other citrus fruit that is grown in Australia. I have had a year of winters and cold weather and winter food. I am looking forward to warmer weather and salads again. It will be much easier to continue my diet if I can eat salads...

But if I was in the UK, it would be root vegetables, crumbles, apple/pear butter, onions and garlic, and my autumn vegetable cobbler. Lots of thing with potatoes in it.
Plenty of beans and pulses and lentils in particular. A nice hot curry with homemade chapatti. Something warming. Even my Mushroom Bisque which has a fantastic warmth to it from the cayenne pepper used, served with homemade wholemeal & rye sourdough with sunflower seeds in it. A good heavy bread that is warm, moist and substantial.

I've known it drop to almost 12 degC some nights
At times that has been a healthy daytime temperature here. The fire is lit yet again tonight and will be for at least another week... We are still on the winter weight quilt often with an autumn weight quilt over the lower legs (I have issues with pains in my legs when they get cold - solve the problem by making sure they don't get cold...) and a woolly blanket on my side of the bed. At least I don't need my winter weight sleeping bag underneath the winter weight quilt whilst wearing my thermal top and bottoms plus woolly soaks and woolly hat any more!

Back
Top Bottom