I need a tomato knife

Just use a serrated bread knife, same principle. Alternatively, start the cut with the point of a sharp knife. That works too.

I have a citrus knife i thought would work well but i think it needs to be a little longer but i don't do well with real long knives like a bread knife. I looked at bed bath and beyond but they didn't have one. Walmart does but it is it a set of other knives and i don't need a bunch of knives plus they have cheap looking handles. My sister has one with a brand of Rada she likes but i'm so indecisive...what if there is a better one out there.

Maybe you need a knife sharpener instead? Any knife will cut tomatoes if it's sharp enough. At trade shows it's a common demonstration technique amongst knife sellers - how well their knives tackle ripe tomatoes!

Maybe you need a knife sharpener instead? Any knife will cut tomatoes if it's sharp enough. At trade shows it's a common demonstration technique amongst knife sellers - how well their knives tackle ripe tomatoes!

I agree - I always use it as a test of how sharp my knives are. But otherwise a small thin bladed serrated knife works well with tomatoes.

I really think it is me not the knife but i figure a dedicated knife would give me the best chance for a decent cut.

This one is only £3 (less than $4) and looks good - but obviously not something you can get where you are.

https://www.cookshopclearance.co.uk...Ajco_Pdqo9JZXbwCi8SH9iKa0movzXGhoCmSYQAvD_BwE

Screen Shot 2018-12-09 at 17.56.49.png

That an interesting shape, i have never seen one like it, i wonder what the benefit is of the tip shaped like that...

I don't know - I'm imagining it helps separating slices. I will find out and report back as I have ordered one! Well, in fact I ordered two as they were so cheap - so you might get an unexpected Xmas present!

A tomato knife is an invaluable tool. To me, it is one of those things that most folk can live without but when you use one, you will never go back to using other knives. A bit like a foil cutter.
This is the one in our house. Outrageously expensive! Years ago I had a cheaper, slightly smaller and better version. Similar to @morning glory's one above.

p.s. I am obsessive about keeping all kitchen knives sharp. So much so when I go away on holiday I take at least one knife with me!

Back
Top Bottom