Ideas on How to Re-work Fruitcake

Do you like fruitcake?

• Total voters

True2marie

Veteran
Local time
6:42 AM
Fruitcake is one of those foods people either hate or love.

I fall into the former category. Most fruitcake tastes bad to me. However, I have discovered that heating up a slice of fruitcake in the microwave and topping it with whip cream improves this dessert.

Here is an article with other ideas - What to Do With Fruitcake

Cool article!

I love fruitcake and to me it's a must on holidays. However never thought of bake a bread pudding from it, which could be a nice try for a different leftovers taste.

We always used to serve it with a wedge of a salty fresh cheese such as Lancashire, Cheshire or our favourite (at least until I became allergic to dairy products) Wensleydale. All of them take the sweetness out of the cake and compliment it superbly.

I love fruit cake and have had many versions of it. After a fresh cream pineapple cake, this is my second best choice. Somehow, it never survives beyond two days at my home. I end up eating it way before that. :)

In both Mexico and Spain there is a sweet bread called "borrachitos" (drunken sponge cakes) which recipe includes a sauce with an alcoholic beverage, but that a friend of pan adapted to make use of her fruitcake instead.

The original recipe calls to either baking the bread first or buy an already baked bread called "marquesote" but the secret behind this bread is the syrup, which ingredients are:

2 cup sugar
1 tbsp. honey
8 oz. water
1 cup of liquor (cherry, brandy, cognac, or rum preferably)
1 cinnamon stick

Preparation:
Pour water and sugar, cinnamon, honey and honey in a small sauce pan
-Bring mixture to a boil, stirring occasionally.
Allow to boil one minute.
Remove from heat , add the liquor then, allowing the syrup to cool

You can eater soak the bread in this syrup or drizzle it over the bread that, in this case, could be slices of fruitcake.

I don't mind the cake. It is the weird "fruit" that gets me. Homemade fruitcake is far superior to the store-bought stuff, and I agree with the post that suggested heating it up. I like it for breakfast with my first cup of coffee.

Never thought of adding cheese, but God, I love cheese on just about everything (including sweet things). Great idea. If I get one this year, I'm doing it.

I have never had a fruit cake I have liked. I tried it once as a kid and that "eh, this isn't so bad," but absolutely despise it as an adult. I have tried toasting it and added some cinnamon and sugar, but it still tastes like mushy fruit cake!

I just saw this recipe today, which sounded kind of interesting. It's a Dutch Christmas Bread, that almost looks like a cross between Easter Bread and Fruit Cake.

http://www.thedutchbakersdaughter.com/2013/12/kerststol-dutch-christmas-bread.html

It's a sweet spiced egg-y bread, with almond paste and dried fruits inside it, then it is topped with powdered sugar.

which is the Dutch version of http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stollen, which I just happened to have made yesterday :) With cherries instead of marzipan

I'm not a massive fan of fruit cake, although my father and grand parents are and so it's often offered during the festive season. However, I've found (this is a bad habit I've picked up from my dad) that if you pour a bit of heated custard over it, it will taste divine.

Back
Top Bottom