Recipe Idli

swalia

Veteran
Local time
5:06 PM
Idli is a popular breakfast in South India. It is easy to make, healthy and easy to digest.

Ingredients

1 cup urad dal (split black lentils)
3 cups par-boiled rice
1/2 tsp fenugreek seeds
salt to taste
coconut oil or any other refined oil for greasing

fried coconut chutney for serving
sambhar for serving

Method

1. Soak the urad dal and fenugreek seeds together in enough water for 3 hours and drain.
  2. Soak the rice in enough water for 3 hours and drain.
  3. Blend the urad dal and fenugreek seeds together in a mixer till smooth and frothy (add water little by little as required ) remove and keep aside.
  4. Blend the rice in a mixer till smooth. Remove and keep aside.
  5. Combine the urad dal paste and rice paste together in a bowl and cover and keep aside to ferment overnight.
  6. Once the batter is fermented add salt to the batter and mix well.
  7. Put spoonfuls of the batter into greased idli moulds and steam for 10 to 12 minutes.
  8. Repeat with the remaining batter to make more idlis. Serve hot with fried coconut chutney and sambhar.

Attachments

• images.jpg
    images.jpg
    7.7 KB · Views: 282
I love idli, however, I did not know how it was made. I knew the major ingredient was rice, but did not know urad daal and fenugreek seeds were also used. Thanks for the recipe. I hope to make this one of these days,

I click on the last ingredient because I was curious to see what it was and bam it lead me to tarla dalal. I think that name sounds familiar. She is the youtuber I get every time I search for Indian cuisine. I am interested about this cuisine and one day will try the recipes, the problem is some or most of the ingredients are hard to find.

I have to Google so much with these exciting dishes. I spelled the last word incorrectly and came upon what looked like a deer or some wild animal. I don't rule things out but some of these things might be hard to find, not to mention expensive.

I click on the last ingredient because I was curious to see what it was and bam it lead me to tarla dalal. I think that name sounds familiar. She is the youtuber I get every time I search for Indian cuisine. I am interested about this cuisine and one day will try the recipes, the problem is some or most of the ingredients are hard to find.

Yes, this recipe is from http://www.tarladalal.com/Idli-(-How-To-Make-Idli-)-32833r (please credit recipes copied from elsewhere, folks!). I could easily get the ingredients but it should be noted that sambhar is another recipe in itself with a much longer list of ingredients!!!

Yes, this recipe is from http://www.tarladalal.com/Idli-(-How-To-Make-Idli-)-32833r (please credit recipes copied from elsewhere, folks!). I could easily get the ingredients but it should be noted that sambhar is another recipe in itself with a much longer list of ingredients!!!
It was such an entertainment for me watching Tarla Dalal on youtube. I think there is nothing more authentic than her videos, I love it when people share their recipes including the secrets and techniques.

It looks very good, but realistically I probably won't make it, for reasons I have alluded to earlier. It looks like a lot of work to go through for breakfast. Do you make a batch of this and keep it on hand and eat it as needed? I mean if you make some how long does a particular dish last? I just think that if you take a long time to cook something you will hopefully be able to eat it more than once. I think that many cuisines are very good but quite time consuming!

Back
Top Bottom