If you can't stand the heat...

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
1:35 PM
Well, as the saying goes ...get out of the kitchen. But I was wondering why it is that professional kitchens are so hot. I mean, given that air conditioning has been around for decades, why do Chefs suffer high temperatures. On some cooking shows you see them literally dripping in sweat - which doesn't seem very hygienic and must in some senses, affect performance. I know that I work better and faster in a cooler environment.

Perhaps the heat generated by all the cooking means that its impossible for air-con to be effective? Or are chefs just masochists? Perhaps @Berties can answer this one.

Any air conditioning would have the adverse effect on the food making it chill quickly , I won't have the door open and even block up the fresh air vents that take in the borrowed air for the extraction , I have worked with air curtains and these stop water from boiling,
Heat detectors are now 90degrees as at 45 they were going off all the time,
It is getting hot in the kitchen at the moment , all my whites are baggy and I can drink up to 15?pints of fluid a day , I have had my first leg cramp after my ride home this afternoon , first of many
Funny I only sweat through my body at 40degrees but if we get a smoke on its comes from every where , it's not easy to deal with it some days , I am sure the majority of people even walking into the service Area would be not able to take the heat ,

image.jpg
The probe says it all

Amazing how you can deal with this kind of temperature. :eek:. I'd simply wilt and wouldn't revive!

But I don't quite understand what you mean about the food chilling quickly if the kitchen was air-conditioned. I thought food was served up super fast in a professional kitchen (or a salamander was used). If the chilling is due to the draught effect, then surely, there must be a climate control system which could produce an ambient temperature without a draught chilling the food?

Another thought is; surely some foods need to be prepared at colder temperatures. Pastry, for example? How do you deal with that those kind of temperatures. This is quite fascinating....

Amazing how you can deal with this kind of temperature. :eek:. I'd simply wilt and wouldn't revive!

But I don't quite understand what you mean about the food chilling quickly if the kitchen was air-conditioned. I thought food was served up super fast in a professional kitchen (or a salamander was used). If the chilling is due to the draught effect, then surely, there must be a climate control system which could produce an ambient temperature without a draught chilling the food?

Another thought is; surely some foods need to be prepared at colder temperatures. Pastry, for example? How do you deal with that those kind of temperatures. This is quite fascinating....
It's a bit more complicated than that , air had to drawn in and used to extract harmful fumes, and is calculated in litres,depending on a few factors
And is a job for experts
Try plating up a table of 40 meals in one go with at least 6 components , even billy whizz would struggle, every degree counts , you can start with a red hot plate and the heat soon goes ,
It's a delicate balancing act

I'm in awe of you @Berties . I can cook. I can cook well sometimes, I like to think. But dealing with these conditions and logistics sets the Professionals apart! I couldn't possibly cope.:cry: But do please explain what happens with procedures which need to be carried out in a cool environment - like making pastry?

Make a portable station on a rolling cart and work in the cooler. Also works well on talkative cooks cause most phones wont get reception in a walk-in.

The heat is the main problem in our kitchen because it is cramped and the ventilation is not that good. It is not wise to install an electric fan since we are using a gas stove, the fire may spread when there is dynamic air (by the electric fan). What we do is to turn on the air conditioner in the living room and let the cool air enter the kitchen. At least the heat from the stove is lessened.

The heat is the main problem in our kitchen because it is cramped and the ventilation is not that good. It is not wise to install an electric fan since we are using a gas stove, the fire may spread when there is dynamic air (by the electric fan). What we do is to turn on the air conditioner in the living room and let the cool air enter the kitchen. At least the heat from the stove is lessened.
Why avoid using an electric fan simply because you're cooking with gas?
Or is it gasoline.

Why avoid using an electric fan simply because you're cooking with gas?
Or is it gasoline.
Our is a gas stove and with the fire for cooking, it is dangerous to use an electric fan. According to the guidelines issued by the fire department a long time ago when there was a rash of fires caused by gas stove, the first danger is actually not the fire but the gas. When the fan hits the fire and the fire in the stove goes out then the gas is not consumed and will mix in the air. The liquefied petroleum gas in the air will cause suffocation. So there.

Our is a gas stove and with the fire for cooking, it is dangerous to use an electric fan. According to the guidelines issued by the fire department a long time ago when there was a rash of fires caused by gas stove, the first danger is actually not the fire but the gas. When the fan hits the fire and the fire in the stove goes out then the gas is not consumed and will mix in the air. The liquefied petroleum gas in the air will cause suffocation. So there.
You'd be vomiting long before you were suffocated by the gas in the air. I take it you don't leave both on when you're asleep or not at home. Or the gas in either situation?

The big killer is actually the lack of breathable air, if ventilation is poor.

You'd be vomiting long before you were suffocated by the gas in the air. I take it you don't leave both on when you're asleep or not at home. Or the gas in either situation?

You are right on that - our SOP at night is to check the gate and all the doors that would include the valve of the gas tank. There were several incidents before that families died of suffocation because of the leaking gas that pervaded the entire house. And this year there was this news about a small house (good thing it was a small house with 2 occupants only) that ignited when the occupant went to the kitchen to cook breakfast... the kitchen was full of gas that escaped from the tank.

Here in our place all of us are not using a gas tank with hose that is connected to the stove which is true that is dangerous if you are not very careful when using it.

Our source of gas are already installed and built directly to the stove by a pipeline outside the house and the gas company will bill you every month like electric bill that had a metric system.

That is why there is no problem that you will run out of gas not unlike when you are using a gas tank when it becomes empty while you are cooking the fire will automatically stop and you need to buy a new one.

And one thing here in our place it is automatic that when they installed the piping connection an exhaust fan is also installed.

That is why so far I had no problem when it comes to heat when I am cooking and one thing every kitchen here is well ventilated plus the fact that we always had a cool climate in our place.

Back
Top Bottom