If you could only eat the cuisine from one country

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
9:38 PM
What would you would you choose if you had to decide on one country's cuisine as your diet? We are referring here to the national cooking of that country. This is a difficult thing when it comes to the USA, UK, Canada and Australia and probably elsewhere - as there are so many ethnic influences that its almost impossible to define an ethnic cuisine. But anyway - which country would you decide on, if you had to live on that diet for the foreseeable future? Not your own country, I should add.

Last edited:
What would you would you choose if you had to decide on one country's cuisine as your diet? We are referring here to the national cooking of that country. This is a difficult thing when it comes to the USA, UK, Canada and Australia and probably elsewhere - as there are so many ethnic influences that its almost impossible to define an ethnic cuisine. But anyway - which country would you decide on, if you had to live on that diet for the foreseeable future? Not your own country, I should add.

Ah, fortunately I read the last sentence because I was just about to write Italy ... I actually would have three choices, so, I would say if I had to choose the diet / cuisine of another country I would choose something similar mine. I highly appreciate Portuguese and Spanish cuisine as well. I also recently discovered the Lebanese cuisine, really interesting. And yet my choice brings me to choosing Mediterranean countries.

I would hate that. I cannot imagine being restricted to one ethnic menu.

Fish and chips
Beef steak
Chilli con carne
Chicken curry
Tom yam khung
Pork/chicken kebabs
Spring rolls
Barbecued pork ribs
etc.

It's sacrilege!

Ah, fortunately I read the last sentence because I was just about to write Italy ... I actually would have three choices, so, I would say if I had to choose the diet / cuisine of another country I would choose something similar mine. I highly appreciate Portuguese and Spanish cuisine as well. I also recently discovered the Lebanese cuisine, really interesting. And yet my choice brings me to choosing Mediterranean countries.

Ok, having to choose one, then I choose Spain

Not sure how it could be done though. For example some of the finest curries in the world are now made in the UK. If we are to go back a few of centuries to the pre migration/exploration [in any direction] days then most countries food would be pretty dull, almost subsistence level for 90% of the population and the rich [of whatever period] have always imported 'exotic' foods. Most 'local' foods were not chosen because they were particularly good but simply because they were available.

Not sure how it could be done though. For example some of the finest curries in the world are now made in the UK. If we are to go back a few of centuries to the pre migration/exploration [in any direction] days then most countries food would be pretty dull, almost subsistence level for 90% of the population and the rich [of whatever period] have always imported 'exotic' foods. Most 'local' foods were not chosen because they were particularly good but simply because they were available.
Yes, Birmingham has a famous Balti triangle. I love Indian food in the UK, and one of the best curry houses I have ever eaten at is just down the road from where we are staying in Cyprus. However, I wouldn't eat it in India. I have never been but my wife has spent a lot of time there and is very experienced in the dreaded "Delhi belly". Apparently, the original purpose of those hot spices was to disguise the rancidness of the main ingredients

However, I wouldn't eat it in India. I have never been but my wife has spent a lot of time there and is very experienced in the dreaded "Delhi belly". Apparently, the original purpose of those hot spices was to disguise the rancidness of the main ingredients

I have experienced "Delhi belly" and surprisingly it was a following a meal at our agent's house in Delhi. We were due to fly to Bombay the following morning - my boss rang me at 0700 and said "are you ready to go?". I said "I'm not sure, I'm on the toilet". "How long are you going to be?" he asked. "Well, I've been in here for four hours already, so it's anybody's guess".

Other than that one time, my experience of food in India has been without fault.

...just Googled and three come up. Is because of ex.pats or what? I mean, you won't find Curry houses in France.

I have experienced "Delhi belly" and surprisingly it was a following a meal at our agent's house in Delhi. We were due to fly to Bombay the following morning - my boss rang me at 0700 and said "are you ready to go?". I said "I'm not sure, I'm on the toilet". "How long are you going to be?" he asked. "Well, I've been in here for four hours already, so it's anybody's guess".

[I did manage to make the flight. However, we were staying at the Taj Mahal in Bombay but for only one night and I was not in a fit state to attend dinner in the 5 star restaurant].

I've had "Indian" meals in quite a few different countries, including Iceland, which allows me to say that I have been to the world's most northerly Indian restaurant. However, I use inverted commas because a lot of restaurants that are labelled "Indian" are, in fact, not Indian. I had a thoroughly excellent meal in a restaurant in Copenhagen. The frontage proclaimed "Indian restaurant," but in fact the people running it were of Pakistani origin. This also happens with Bangladeshi restaurants.

On that basis, am I allowed to say "Indian sub-continent" for my choice of food?

Back
Top Bottom