I'm a kiwi, we talk different.....

rascal

Forum GOD!
Local time
5:40 AM
image.jpg

but have you ever heard of a Maori tradition of the hangi. Pronounced hung ee. It's food cooked in the ground over heated stones and covered in wet sacks. The food steams and is absolutely beautiful. I copied a friends version in a 44 gallon drum. It's called the the honky hangi. I use it to cook for a crowd. I usually put 2 legs of lamb a beef roast and 3 chickens with various vegetables. I'll try to find some pics. A double burner goes under the drum. The drum has a wee hole 150mmfrom the bottom to release steam. There's a perforated metal that holds the meat about 200 mm from the bottom. Food put in with water up to the drilled hole and seal the top . Light burners and cook 3 hrs. It's very popular here.

Russ

Last edited by a moderator:
I've seen the underground/hot rock technique at some beach resorts before. One was with various roasts, and others were what we call a clam bake. Lobsters, corn clams, potatoes, and sausages are cooked in a hole in the ground over heated rocks and seaweed, covered be more seaweed and seawater soaked canvass.
It's and interesting way to cook.

My propane smoker is close to the same thing except with only a tray of water just above the tray of woodchips which are just over the burners.

It looks like an old, narrow bank vault. The door swings open to allow you to fill (and refill as necessary for a long smoke) the water and woodchips, and above that are slide in shelves for the meats.

I've done pork butts, whole chickens, and turkey parts in it so far. I hope to catch a stringer of trout next spring to try my hand at smoking them.

I've seen the underground/hot rock technique at some beach resorts before. One was with various roasts, and others were what we call a clam bake. Lobsters, corn clams, potatoes, and sausages are cooked in a hole in the ground over heated rocks and seaweed, covered be more seaweed and seawater soaked canvass.
It's and interesting way to cook.

My propane smoker is close to the same thing except with only a tray of water just above the tray of woodchips which are just over the burners.

It looks like an old, narrow bank vault. The door swings open to allow you to fill (and refill as necessary for a long smoke) the water and woodchips, and above that are slide in shelves for the meats.

I've done pork butts, whole chickens, and turkey parts in it so far. I hope to catch a stringer of trout next spring to try my hand at smoking them.

I believe in Hawaii the pits are used as well. Tongan and Samoan as well I think.

Russ

Dig 3-4' or less here and you have a muddy swimming pool. That is why the "Caja China" (also called a "Cajun Microwave") was created.

Back
Top Bottom