I'm So Sick Of Noodles

dashboardc33

Veteran
Local time
2:42 AM
It seems like that is what we have every single night lately. Spaghetti and meatballs, buttered noodles with cheese and fettuccine alfredo seem to be nightly rituals lately. We are running out of food in the fridge and freezer. Money has been tight lately so I need some ideas with not a lot of ingredients. The only thing I have for meat is some boneless skinless chicken breasts. Throw out a few ideas on what I can make that is affordable, delicious and requires minimal ingredients.

I really don't eat them that much. I love noodles but I realize that eating them is like eating bread. Do you eat the Ramen noodles? My daughter in college says they are very unhealthy for you. I absolutely love Chinese noodles.

Whenever we would have pasta in the house, it's always in big volume that's why people here would exclaim the thread title after 2 days, hahahaaa. We normally cook a cauldron of spaghetti sauce. Add to that 2 kilos of pasta. That would take care of our meals for 2 days despite giving away some portions to our neighbors. But in fairness, pasta is a big hit in the house on the first day.

The minimal ingredients of chicken soup is just vegetables, chicken and elbow macaroni maybe you can try that. Also with stir-fried rice you can just add eggs and other vegetables it's so easy and affordable. For pasta you can mix it up with just basil and chicken on the side. Asian noodles just require vegetables on the side with some soy sauce and fish paste. There are a lot of cheap ingredients that are native to your environment you just need to go to the farmer's market.

Chicken fried rice is easy and delicious. Poach or fry the chicken breast. Then cook rice. I like to use day old rice, it's less sticky so I make my rice the night before I want to make friend rice. Add the chicken to the rice in a pan, add frozen peas, corn, soy sauce. Voila fried rice. Top with green onions, and cilantro to be fancy.

Also, I would like to add that if you're in a tight spot with budgeting constraints I suggest you go ahead to the coupons forum they might be able to give you some tips and a good deal. Couponing saves you a lot of money as well as growing your own vegetables in square inch gardens or potted containers.

Have a meatless day, grilled cheese sandwiches and french fries worked for me when my girls were younger. Now I give my grandsons bean and cheese wraps for their meatless day. Beans and rice are also a good way to stretch the food when money is a little tight.

Do you have some eggs? They're a cheap source of protein and you can make a bunch of recipes with them - even dinner recipes. You can make crepes for breakfast, lunch or dinner, or just regular omelettes, or even frittata's with some leftover pasta. If you've got some flour and milk and butter on hand as well, you can make popovers - they're fun and super easy to make and look gourmet. I am terrible at baking and making breads and even I can make them perfectly. You could even make a simple egg drop soup for lunch with them, or the Italian version, stracciatella

Polenta is inexpensive as well, and very filling, plus it's a great base for all sorts of toppings - sauteed vegetables, a meat ragu sauce, whatever... And if you make extra, you can pour it into a loaf pan before it sets completely, and save it for the morning. It's great sliced and fried in some butter, and topped with syrup.

Or perhaps pick up a back of potatoes which are also cheap - they're filling as well and baked potatoes are a great base for toppings like Chili or even a broccoli and cheese soup.

Back
Top Bottom