Indepence Day celebration

Corzhens

Veteran
Local time
3:19 AM
The Philippines used to celebrate Independence Day on July 4th. But when I was in college, it was moved to June 12 and July 4 was declared Fil-American Friendship Day that we do not celebrate anymore. You can expect that in the olden days the rich Filipinos would have turkey for the occasion.

Now it is the lechon or whole roasted pig and lately the addition for the main attraction is the roasted calf - a young cow butchered and roasted they way the roast the pig.

My husband is American so we still celebrate July 4th here - we usually have a barbecue with friends. Burgers, hot dogs and the like - we still celebrate it in the American way despite being in Japan right now!

It's fun getting to share the celebration with our friends here who haven't experienced the holiday before :)

Canadian here so we don't celebrate July 4th but we do celebrate Canada day which is July 1st so close enough. July 1st also happens to be my grandmothers birthday so we have something else to celebrate. The whole family (all 60+ of us) generally get together and have a sort of bbq and people bring salads, desserts and whatnot. It seems like we just eat the whole day. A few years ago someone brought pulled pork, of course it was a hit and it's been a regular dish since then.

Back
Top Bottom