Instant Pot first try

oddduck

Über Member
Local time
2:28 AM
ok i finally have the time to give the instant pot a try. It is soaking my beans for chili. It cooks them for 5 minutes under pressure and then slowly depressurizes for 20 minutes and the beans with have been soaked for the equilivent of an overnight soak.Then i can get to fixin the chili...we'll see how things goes.

Ok first try at chili did produce chili and it is tasty but i got the error code 'burn' before it was done so i read the trouble shooting, checked the bottom of the pot for debris as instructed found none. Put everything back set it back to cooking and the error code popped back up. I opened it back up tasted the chili decided to call it done even tho the beans could use a little more cooking and now while eating have researched and found a site that suggests more water in the chili so the pot can make it up to pressure. Will try next time...tho i think the next thing i will try in it is black bean soup.

Yes the burn error was probably due to the sauce being too thick. I tend to err on the side of slightly too sloppy sauces because you can always use the saute function to reduce the sauce at the end of cooking if needed.

Have fun trying new recipes :)

....and by the way, unless they've improved it in the later InstantPots then don't bother with the "rice" function - its the one programme that I actually find totally useless. I just cook my rice on manual instead.

I've cooked dried pinto beans in my stovetop pressure cooker. And I've also flash-pressure-soaked small white beans for Boston Baked Beans right in the pressure cooker!! :wink:

Back
Top Bottom