Intriguing pub names

There is a pub in Oxford called The Four Candles. It is a relatively new pub and the name originates from the BBC comedy series The Two Ronnies, featuring Ronnie Barker and Ronnie Corbett. UK members will no doubt catch the reference, which is from a sketch in which Corbett (as customer) asks Barker (shopkeeper) for fork handles and gets, you've guessed it, four candles. Ronnie Barker went to school in Oxford, hence this small tribute.
A friend on another site recently had to pick up a parcel that actually contained four candles. The person who fetched his parcel actually got the joke, but the other members of staff didn't.

Most of the older ones still in existence where I live tend to have historical names rather than unusual ones. My favourite is The Good Intent, which used to be the favourite of the air crews from the local RAF station during World War II. In fact the gunners used to be trained on a building attached to the pub. My parents often used to take me over there when I was very young as it was one of the few pubs nearby that had a garden. A couple of years ago the pub changed hands and the new owners decided to change the name to something horribly modern and not at all in keeping with the history of it. All hell broke loose, and it remains The Good Intent!

As far as unusual names are concerned, not a real pub, but about 35 years ago I made a model of a pub to go on a model railway layout. It needed a name local to Dorset/Somerset, so I named it the Shapwick Monster, from local folk lore. An elderly gentleman painted a bespoke pub sign for me featuring a lobster.

As far as unusual names are concerned, not a real pub, but about 35 years ago I made a model of a pub to go on a model railway layout. It needed a name local to Dorset/Somerset, so I named it the Shapwick Monster, from local folk lore. An elderly gentleman painted a bespoke pub sign for me featuring a lobster.

Pity you don't have a photo. i'd like to see that!

There are a few pubs in Britain called the Pig & Whistle. This seems to be one of those names that nobody can explain adequately. There used to be a Pig & Whistle in Newcastle's (in)famous Bigg Market, but it's long gone.

There's a Pig and Whistle in Pattaya, Thailand, would you believe?

8695947634_eabc174163_m.jpg

Pity you don't have a photo. i'd like to see that!
Found it! It was a model made from a plastic kit and it has not come through storage
WP_20170924_17_33_06_Pro.jpg
WP_20170924_17_28_37_Pro.jpg
WP_20170924_17_31_23_Pro.jpg
WP_20170924_17_27_55_Pro.jpg
completely unscathed, but here are some photos. The actual size of the pub sign is 8 mm square. The gentleman who painted the sign was about 80 at the time. He used to make miniature fairground organs as a hobby. :D

Found it! It was a model made from a plastic kit and it has not come through storage View attachment 10565 View attachment 10566 View attachment 10567 View attachment 10568 completely unscathed, but here are some photos. The actual size of the pub sign is 8 mm square. The gentleman who painted the sign was about 80 at the time. He used to make miniature fairground organs as a hobby. :D
Wow! Totally wow! I just love this. I never imagined you would unearth it. Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom