Is America ready to love cottage cheese again?

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
1:24 PM
Or for that matter, is the UK? Here are extracts from an article in the Independent newspaper:

Cottage Cheese began life in America as an easy, economical way for colonial cooks to make use of milk left over after they skimmed off the cream. By the 1970s, its amicable presence in recipes and on diet plates had made it a star.

Fame is fickle, and so are the nation’s eaters. Cottage cheese fell out of favour, and now spends its days hanging out in stodgy pint containers near the sour cream, while yoghurt sprawls out across acres of the dairy case, dressed up in cute little tubes, flip tops and French glass jars.

America loves a comeback though, and there are plenty of people who are betting that cottage cheese is primed for one.

A couple new players have jumped in, including Muuna, the first product from Israel’s largest food manufacturer to be sold in the United States. American companies like Dean Foods, the nation’s largest dairy company, have given their cottage cheeses makeovers, packing them into smaller, sexier packages and asking retailers to move them away from the sour cream and closer to the yoghurt.

New lines have interesting mixes of fruit and nuts, and some producers are experimenting with millennial-friendly additions like probiotics and chia seeds. Flavours are expanding beyond dusty stalwarts like pineapple to include Kalamata olive, habanero chile or cum

The goal, according to industry analysts, is to “uncottage” cottage cheese – or, as one dairy executive put it, “Chobani it”.

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-...-america-lifestyle-milk-yoghurt-a8426741.html

So, do you eat cottage cheese? Do you have any recipes or ideas for how to use it. I'm thinking of trying out a recipe idea I had using cottage cheese in dumplings...

I like cottage cheese. Especially with fruit. Don't care for it in certain recipes, as it can turn gummy when heated. One of my favorite dishes from my childhood, is blintzes. It's a crepe-like dish, lightly fried, with different fillings, like cheese or fruit and topped with sour cream. My grandmother used to make them, but the cheese might have been farmer's cheese or pot cheese.

A dish from my childhood that I like is, buttered broad egg noodles with a little salt and cottage cheese mixed in.

Last edited:
It activates my gag reflex, so not for me. Another nightmare from my mom's "cooking".

I eat it for lunch on rare occasions, usually with canned peaches or pineapple, but that's about it. Basically small amounts when I got a craving for it.

I like cottage cheese on toast but it triggers a not so pleasant vegetarian response to too much animal protein at one time so i have to limit my intake of it and in doing so can not finish a tub of it before it goes bad.

My mom always had it on the table with nearly every evening meal along with apple sauce. Apple sauce and cottage cheese mixed is pretty good btw...also adding sweet peas to the mix is tasty too and makes it easier to chase down those little rolling peas and capture them on your spoon.

Blech!
Just blech. It's the only cheese that I know that I don't like.

Although, I've heard that some mad chefs have tried placing a strain of the bacteria (chunk with coloured lines in it) from Bleu cheese, and have created bue cottage cheese. I'd try that.

If you don't hear from me soon after that, tell Yorky to try Gorgonzola...

If cottage cheese disappeared off the face of the planet I would not be disappointed.

I love cottage cheese. I prefer the larger chunks. I add a touch of salt and fresh cracked pepper to mine. Its a great side to my sandwich at lunch :)

I have it every morning with home made toast and semi-sweet strawberry jam. Love it

Last edited:
My husband and I love cottage cheese! I like it with black pepper. I especially love ice cold cottage cheese with hot baked beans over it. We both prefer lasagna with cottage cheese rather than ricotta .

Back
Top Bottom