Is America ready to love cottage cheese again?

Unfortunately, not me. Okay, I'm fine with it cooked into lasagna and the like, but cottage cheese cold on a plate? No way.

Don't care what you surround it with, it simply reminds me of Milk Gone Bad. And yes, I've run into that. Probably why I feel this way.

I can eat just about any offal you throw at me, but … nix on the cottage cheese.

Unfortunately, not me. Okay, I'm fine with it cooked into lasagna and the like, but cottage cheese cold on a plate? No way.

Don't care what you surround it with, it simply reminds me of Milk Gone Bad. And yes, I've run into that. Probably why I feel this way.

I can eat just about any offal you throw at me, but … nix on the cottage cheese.

Have you ever made your own curd cheese? Its easy. But not worth it if you don't like curd cheese per se.

Have you ever made your own curd cheese? Its easy. But not worth it if you don't like curd cheese per se.

No, and not really wanting to. It's a textural thing for me.

Now that I've moved (been here a year) it's time to crank open my cheese cook book and make farmer's cheese, however. The place I loved to buy that from stopped making it in favor of ice cream and other cheese types. I guess it didn't move fast enough.

No, and not really wanting to. It's a textural thing for me.

Now that I've moved (been here a year) it's time to crank open my cheese cook book and make farmer's cheese, however. The place I loved to buy that from stopped making it in favor of ice cream and other cheese types. I guess it didn't move fast enough.

I had to look up Farmer's Cheese as its not a term used in the UK - it looks a lot like Cottage Cheese to me. The method for making it is the same as making what I would curd cheese - so this was the sort of thing I meant. I'm now confused. :scratchhead:

Farmer cheese - Wikipediahttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Farmer_cheese
In the United States, farmer cheese (also farmer's cheese or farmers' cheese) is pressed cottage cheese, an unripened cheese made by adding rennet and bacterial starter to coagulate and acidify milk. Farmer cheese may be made from the milk of cows, sheep or goats, with each giving its own texture and flavor.

Farmer's cheese is soft like cottage cheese, but doesn't have those curds that remind me of milk gone bad. It is more like cream cheese with texture. I also think the taste is different (better).

OK - we are talking about the same thing by different names I think. Which reminds me that I ought to make some soon. Its really very easy indeed. A jelly bag is useful, if you have one.

I used to eat cottage cheese with fruit or in a lasagna when the budget was tight. quit eating it about the time Greek yogurt gained popularity
I should probably revisit cottage Cheese. A bowl with fruit and nuts is a nice breakfast or a lite lunch.

My cousin served a garlic dip at a reunion that was delicious. I asked for the recipe and was shocked ----- 1 tub (16 oz) cottage cheese and 1-2 cloves garlic - run through your food processor and that's it. A little thicker than sour cream so you need sturdier/wavy potato chips, but boy is this dip addicting. The processor smooths out the curds for a creamy, garlicy dip. Can also use to top bagels, crostini, steaks, baked potatoes, etc.

My kids don't like cottage cheese so I rarely buy it anymore. But I do like it sprinkled with pepper and topped with peaches.

Back
Top Bottom