Is bread normally served with your meals?

epicuric

Legendary Member
Local time
10:39 PM
Mod Edit: posts moved from another thread as it is an interesting topic.

I have noticed that bread seems to be a regular accompaniment to many meals over there (USA) - is that correct, or have got the wrong end of the stick?

Last edited by a moderator:
I have noticed that bread seems to be a regular accompaniment to many meals over there - is that correct, or have got the wrong end of the stick?

Owt wi liquid! Dip yer bread!

I have noticed that bread seems to be a regular accompaniment to many meals over there - is that correct, or have got the wrong end of the stick?
Bread, rolls, biscuits, crackers are all common depending on the food you are eating. Pancakes are a common accompaniment to breakfast. Tortillas are common in some parts of the country. Tortilla chips are typically served with every meal in a Mexican restaurant (usually with salsa on the side).

I want to add breads are common, homemade bread is uncommon.

We are bread freaks here in the east. Most restaurants off some kind of bread with dinner, especially if it's European style fare. Dinner rolls, baguettes, or some kind of sliced Italian bread is usually on the table.

Down south you might find cornbread or American biscuits, or more southwest, tortillas could be served as Cin mentioned.

You won't find bread in Asian restaurants, though. Well, except maybe naan or roti in southern Asian cusine.

We are bread freaks here in the east. Most restaurants off some kind of bread with dinner, especially if it's European style fare. Dinner rolls, baguettes, or some kind of sliced Italian bread is usually on the table.

Down south you might find cornbread or American biscuits, or more southwest, tortillas could be served as Cin mentioned.

You won't find bread in Asian restaurants, though. Well, except maybe naan or roti in southern Asian cusine.
Actually you don't see much cornbread. Usually just white bread or rolls. In the case of our fake Italian, bread sticks are common.
@MypinchofItaly's dishes look nothing like our Italian food. Hers looks much better.

Bbq joints in the southeast usually offer cornbread, but yes, everywhere else is usually rolls. I forgot about breadsticks with Italian or French food.
Or pumpernickel or rye with German and Eastern European food.
BBQ joints around here offer white bread or Texas toast.

I suppose it depends a lot on family. I grew up with a Dad who delivered bread for a living. We always had bread on the table. As far as hubby and I go, bread is more for breakfast toast, and lately it's frequently been home made.The only time we have it with a supper is if it's an integral part of the dish - say, sandwiches, or my fall-back supper of Breakfast-for-Dinner.

I need to get out to the grocery store today, so we'll clean leftovers up to make room for the new food. Plus, I tend to not want to make much of supper when I've wandered the aisles for a while.

You missed a trick there epicuric - i.e. you could have said 'or have I got the wrong end of the breadstick?'
color.gif

In France, bread is usually put on the table as a matter of course in a restaurant. . This may have changed as I haven't been in a while. This isn't really so in the UK. Very often we are asked to pay extra for bread (which I resent).

During hard times, food would often be scarce. Soup was made from whatever was on hand. The juices were sopped up with bread. During the days of early America, it was thought that the reason folks were talking in a weird tongue was due to the mold on the bread. You didn't throw out old bread. Thus a lot of folks were thought to be witches and killed.
When we started to head west, there was no time to cook a large nutritious meal on the trail. Bread was the mainstay of every meal. It was quick to make in the cast iron pans that every good mother had in her wagon.
The same goes for when we started to take the cattle on the trail, to be sold. Cookie (the name assigned to every cook on the trail) made sure there was plenty of hardtack or some form of biscuits. If the cattle started to stampede, there was no time to finish the meal. Grab some hardtack and jump on the horse to get control of the stampeding animals. And of course there was the problem of warring Native Americans attacking the wagon trains or stealing the cattle. Cookie would be unable to have a fire to cook over. The Native Americans would spot the smoke.
So you see, bread played an important role in settling this country. Every good wife or mother had a bag of flour to make bread or biscuits. Even during the Depression. And she knew how to make a starter for her bread.

If the meal is an indian of any form then we have a flatbread of some form with it.
If the meal is liquidy (soup, stew, casserole) and is in a bowl, it will have a dippy bread with it (dippy bread is an absorbent one in this household)
If it needs a spoon to be eaten with, then it will have bread of some form with it.

Lunch usually includes bread as part of it...

So I guess most of the time, bread is part of our life. I know we do eat a lot of it - it usually vanishes without trace when I make some and there is more planned to be made this week... so I guess, here in this household, yes bread accompanies a lot of our meals.

As for breakfast - well at home, it rarely is part of our meal. But if we are camping, if we are out etc, then yes, bread in some form is part of our breakfast as well.

In France, bread is usually put on the table as a matter of course in a restaurant. . This may have changed as I haven't been in a while. This isn't really so in the UK. Very often we are asked to pay extra for bread (which I resent).

True, but usually to accompany a starter, either soup or dips (common around the Med), or rustic stews. I got the impression that it is normal in the US to have bread with every main course regardless of the dish, which is not common here.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom