Is bread normally served with your meals?

Growing up we had dinner, the main meal, at lunch time and tea in the evening, sandwiches and cake or whatever. As a couple we no longer do this as we are both at work so lunch is a sandwich and juice at 12.30 lunch break, our main meal is in the evening around 6pm. At weekends and holidays we still eat light at lunch and main meal in the evening.

But did you used to eat bread with the main meal? And do you now?

Actually you don't see much cornbread. Usually just white bread or rolls. In the case of our fake Italian, bread sticks are common.
@MypinchofItaly's dishes look nothing like our Italian food. Hers looks much better.

Thank you Cin, I think the dishes cooked in the countries of origin are always a little different from those found abroad, even if they are, in this case, of the same Italians. It depends on the ingredients that are not always the same, or by the way of adapting certain dishes to the taste of the host country.
Back to the bread thread, at the restaurant there are always the basket of bread and / or focaccia, and even the breadsticks while waiting to be served, but also during the meal, bread never misses.

:D I wish - I was only using the term (which is still used in the UK) to give historical context. Now I'm middle class I suppose as I went to University and had a career in the University sector. It is quite surprising how meal rituals differ across the UK, in part to do with working class, middle class traditions. For example - a lot of people refer to the main evening meal as 'tea' and tend to eat it earlier in the evening - say around 6.30 pm. This is not tea as in afternoon tea with sandwiches and cakes but a proper main course meal. I serve something I call 'dinner' at around 8.30 pm and that is our evening meal. The latter is much more a middle class/upper class tradition although I think this is changing quite a lot.

Yes, Tea. I never understood what was going on with dinner. Now I know :)
Even when I was in Scotland, I did not remember the dinner time, and in the hotel we were constantly reminded that, being Italian, the dinner time started from 6.30 / 7.00 pm and if we were at 9pm we would only have had some beer. But it was right in that context because having such an abundant breakfast, lunch was not very hungry (just a quick snack) and then at 5.30 we already had a hunger like orcs. So it was okay to dine so early (that is, soon for our habits but right in UK)

...I only put bread on the table if it is with a soup or stew or is with and Indian meal, when I might serve home-made naan or simple flatbread. In all these cases it will be the main carbohydrate of the meal.
Yes, this! IF we have bread with a meal, it is generally the carbohydrate. If we have a pasta - no bread. If we have a meal with potatoes or a bean dish - usually no bread. I say "usually" because, like you, we enjoy sopping up all the gravy from a stew, soup, or chili. I suppose the one real exception would be breakfast. We always have toast with eggs-and-meat, but sometimes we also have some sort of fried up potato with breakfast, too.

Normally, restaurants by us both here in MA and back home in OH would bring bread to the table as soon as you sat down. Then some restaurants started the trend of serving it IF you wanted it. Some charged, some didn't but they all explained that the move was because of all the bread they were throwing out every night. I could not complain about that!

Yes, this! IF we have bread with a meal, it is generally the carbohydrate. If we have a pasta - no bread. If we have a meal with potatoes or a bean dish - usually no bread. I say "usually" because, like you, we enjoy sopping up all the gravy from a stew, soup, or chili. I suppose the one real exception would be breakfast. We always have toast with eggs-and-meat, but sometimes we also have some sort of fried up potato with breakfast, too.

Normally, restaurants by us both here in MA and back home in OH would bring bread to the table as soon as you sat down. Then some restaurants started the trend of serving it IF you wanted it. Some charged, some didn't but they all explained that the move was because of all the bread they were throwing out every night. I could not complain about that!
Bet the birds complained. Here birds love bread.

My first marriage was to a man from the Lake District (Cockermouth) in England. He immigrated to the U.S. as soon as the war ended. He told me that with all the food being on restriction, his mother always had a bread starter developing. So if they had nothing or very little to eat, they always had bread. Sometimes it was the only thing they had to eat.

I always have bread on the table at meal times. I usually have toast with my breakfast, sandwiches at lunch time, and either bread or a bun at tea time. As for main meals, I often have bread in place of potatoes, rice or pasta. It really depends what the meal is, i.e. soups, stews, or just something with a lot of gravy. Of course egg and bacon wouldn't be egg and bacon without fried bread or a slice of dippy bread.

Lol, I thought so too. But then again, ducks are deceptive.

All calm on the surface, but turbulence below.

Sometimes bread....sometimes not. I keep hearing how fattening it is or at the least the one that is bought here. After a few near failed attempts I might try making my own soon again and in that way I'll serve it with every meal even if only to just get rid of it. How's that?

Sometimes bread....sometimes not. I keep hearing how fattening it is or at the least the one that is bought here. After a few near failed attempts I might try making my own soon again and in that way I'll serve it with every meal even if only to just get rid of it. How's that?
Bread is only fattening really if you eat too much of it. Of course if you put butter or margarine on it the calories soar. An average slice of brown or white bread (not a doorstep) is between 80 and 100 calories. To lose weight you need to eat around 1200 cals per day. So you could eat 12 slices of bread and nothing else and lose weight.

Back
Top Bottom