Is bread normally served with your meals?

Bread is only fattening really if you eat too much of it. Of course if you put butter or margarine on it the calories soar. An average slice of brown or white bread (not a doorstep) is between 80 and 100 calories. To lose weight you need to eat around 1200 cals per day. So you could eat 12 slices of bread and nothing else and lose weight.
Different sort of calories though. The structure of wholemeal bread causes far less of the carbs to be converted into fattening sugars, unlike over processed white breads.

Bread is only fattening really if you eat too much of it. Of course if you put butter or margarine on it the calories soar. An average slice of brown or white bread (not a doorstep) is between 80 and 100 calories. To lose weight you need to eat around 1200 cals per day. So you could eat 12 slices of bread and nothing else and lose weight.
Really? That was not my understanding.

Different sort of calories though. The structure of wholemeal bread causes far less of the carbs to be converted into fattening sugars, unlike over processed white breads.
Wholemeal, Wholewheat, Wholegrain....the whole thing can be quite confusing if you ask me. I've been lead to believe that eating the tastiest bread (usually whole white or white bread) is some cardinal sin.

Last edited by a moderator:
Really? That was not my understanding.

Its simple. Folk have been eating bread for countless centuries and they certainly haven't (on the whole) become fat because of it. Its a question of how much of it you eat and what you put on it really. A chicken sandwich using half a chicken breast (no skin) with no butter or marge and no mayo will be approx. 230 calories. If you add butter or marge and a few teaspoons of mayo the calories soar to over 300.

Back
Top Bottom