Is ground chuck the same as ground beef?

foodterminology

Veteran
Local time
5:16 AM
I have seen different packages labeled 80% lean ground chuck and 80% lean ground beef at the grocery store. The store employee said it's the same. Is there any significant difference? Thank you.

"Although ground chuck and 80 percent lean ground beef are similar in taste and composition, the two have notable differences. Ground chuck and 80 percent lean ground beef offer varying amounts of protein, fat and calories, so your personal nutritional needs may make one type of beef preferable for consumption. Consult a medical professional for dietary advice.

Calories
One of the most significant ways in which ground chuck and 80 percent lean ground beef differ is in the calorie content of the meat types. A 4-ounce serving of ground chuck has 380 calories, while a 4-ounce serving of 80 percent lean ground beef contains 278 calories. The 102-calorie difference may seem significant, but it is just 5 percent of the daily suggested intake of 2,000 calories. You can burn 102 calories in less than 30 minutes of weightlifting."

http://www.livestrong.com/article/4...nce-between-ground-chuck-80-lean-ground-beef/

This is the first time I've heard of ground chuck. What we always buy in the supermarket is the lean ground beef. I haven't seen ground chuck here or maybe it is the other ground beef with no LEAN in the label? We are not particular with beef because we are pork eaters so it is usually ground pork for us although we buy ground beef when we want to make hamburgers at home. Maybe that ground chuck is okay to be used as meatballs in spaghetti.

Chuck steak comes from a particular part of the animal: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chuck_steak. 'Lean ground beef' is a generic term and could be from various parts. Its not really possible to tell if there would be a difference, given the generic terms. They could be the same thing but might not be!!!
Thank you very much.

Calories
One of the most significant ways in which ground chuck and 80 percent lean ground beef differ is in the calorie content of the meat types. A 4-ounce serving of ground chuck has 380 calories, while a 4-ounce serving of 80 percent lean ground beef contains 278 calories. The 102-calorie difference may seem significant, but it is just 5 percent of the daily suggested intake of 2,000 calories. You can burn 102 calories in less than 30 minutes of weightlifting."

Thank you as well. I think Chuck and Chuck Norris comes to mind. Never knew we had it in the kitchen. Very educational.

I have wondered that before as well. It is good to have some clarification on the subject. I try to buy lean beef when possible but if ground chuck is cheaper or on sale, I will buy that. I have quite a bit of it right now, as it was on sale for Labor Day since so many people were grilling for the holiday. I have a roll of it.

Ground chuck generally has more flavor but is fattier than other cuts of the beef which are commonly used for "ground beef" such as round and sirloin meat. Our grocers usually label the meat as "ground chuck" or "ground round" and once in a while they will sell "ground sirloin". The ground round is dryer and leaner but not as flavorful. The ground chuck on it's own can be rather greasy, but adds more flavor, so a blend of the round and chuck often works well. Also, some cuts of beef have more of an iron-y game-y flavor to them, while others are more neutral. The "spencer" or "hanger" steak, for example, has a more gamey flavor to it.

I definitely agree that ground chuck is often more flavorful. I don't eat beef that much these days, so I'm o.k. with the extra fat, especially if extra flavor comes along with it. I think @OhioTom76 has a good point about mixing the two together, especially if you're making something such as meatballs or meatloaf, so you can cut back on the fat and grease. Much of the extra fat burns off on a grill, so I'm less concerned about that when I'm eating a burger made with ground chuck.

At my grocery store we have ground chuck, ground round and ground sirloin. There is a difference in the fat content of each. I prefer the ground chuck for most of my cooking because it does not tend the dry out when cooked like the other two types of ground meat. I also use ground pork and on occasion will mix it with ground round or ground chicken or turkey.

"Although ground chuck and 80 percent lean ground beef are similar in taste and composition, the two have notable differences. Ground chuck and 80 percent lean ground beef offer varying amounts of protein, fat and calories, so your personal nutritional needs may make one type of beef preferable for consumption. Consult a medical professional for dietary advice.

Calories

http://www.livestrong.com/article/4...nce-between-ground-chuck-80-lean-ground-beef/

That's very interesting. Thank you for posting it. I didn't realize there was such a difference in calories. I would also guess that there is also a difference in taste and possibly even texture. I enjoy the flavor of the "chuck" meats. I like a good chuck roast or chuck steak when prepared properly, and I think ground chuck has good flavor as well.

Back
Top Bottom